•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Am I doing this right? (Targets in SGP)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

DO any of you just add a bunch of targets to choose from in SGP to pick and choose from later?

Attached Thumbnails

• SGS targets.gif

Edited by Ballyhoo, 24 April 2019 - 08:45 PM.

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maine

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

Yes, a sequence of mine can have multiple targets, especially when I shoot multiple targets in one night due to targets visibility limits.

#3 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:19 PM

Yes, a sequence of mine can have multiple targets, especially when I shoot multiple targets in one night due to targets visibility limits.

oh, okay in that case I do not think I did it correct. I do not intend to do multiple targets in one evening. 

#4 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:40 PM

There is no "correct" - you can have as many targets in a sequence as you wish, and as you have shown in your screen cap, you can simply "uncheck" the targets you don;t want run on a given night.

Personally I mostly just have one target per sequence, sometimes 2 if the first target is limited to only a part of the night.

#5 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:56 PM

There is no "correct" - you can have as many targets in a sequence as you wish, and as you have shown in your screen cap, you can simply "uncheck" the targets you don;t want run on a given night.

Personally I mostly just have one target per sequence, sometimes 2 if the first target is limited to only a part of the night.

So, what are your top picks right now? lol.gif

• Gary Z likes this

#6 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

From (almost) downtown San Jose, I can only really do narrow-band imaging, so this is not a fun time of year :< - hence so much time spent here on CN ;).

Hoping for some clear skies next new moon to get away somewhere dark and grab some galaxies...

#7 pfile

pfile

Aurora

• -----

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:10 PM

you can start to reach some of the summer milky way targets early in the morning now... i got 2 Ha frames of the eagle last night using SGP. would be able to get more except the house is in the way until about 4AM.

#8 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:14 PM

you can start to reach some of the summer milky way targets early in the morning now... i got 2 Ha frames of the eagle last night using SGP. would be able to get more except the house is in the way until about 4AM.

I have a tree blocking some of the Eastern sky - in a couple of weeks though the Summer narrowband targets will be on the menu :)

#9 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Apollo

• Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:28 PM

unless your in NZ where all these nice winter targets are now rising :)

• StephenW likes this

#10 kathyastro

kathyastro

Mariner 2

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

I usually set up one sequence to be one session.  SGP remembers where it is in a sequence, so if you re-load the same sequence on another night, it will remember where it left off.  This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending how you want to organize your sessions. 

If you are thinking of a multi-target sequence as a catalogue of interesting potential targets which you pick and choose at random, you are going to get confused about where you are in the sequence.  You will have to select and unselect the appropriate targets each session, and remember to reset the sequence (because SGP thinks it has finished).  I find it easier to organize one sequence per night.

On your example picture, you want to check "Slew To" for each target so that SGP will automatically send the mount to the specified coordinates.  If you are using plate solving for precise centering, you need to also check "Center On".

• Mark326 likes this

#11 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Messenger

• Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

Two targets typically for me due to the visibility limitations based on the target's transit time. This keeps the camera going all night when it's clear...

edit; should have said two targets active at the same time...

- Mikko

Capture.JPG

Edited by Salacious B Crumb, 25 April 2019 - 01:50 PM.

#12 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:47 AM

>>>>>>>>>> you can have as many targets in a sequence as you wish

Yup, you can, although I would add, ".....and your computer can handle." I find that after about 30, my computer cannot handle any more. (I tried to load a whole Messier marathon into it once.....had to settle for three sequences of thirty something., or four, I forget.) 

The down side of doing this is that it takes a longer time to load the sequence at startup or when loading the sequence from the "File" menu. Now that SGP defaults to loading the last sequence on startup, this may be inefficient. 

I generally keep one or two targets in a sequence. Then, I add a third at the bottom, delete the top one if it is complete, and resave the sequence. 

Note that any images you used in the Mosaic wizard gets saved in the sequence (even after that particular target is deleted), and after a while this can also dramatically slow down loading. (You can remove such pictures with an option in the main menu.)

Alex

#13 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:37 PM

DO any of you just add a bunch of targets to choose from in SGP to pick and choose from later?

I usually have a set of objects that I can image progressively as the night wears on. My view of the sky is pretty limited, as I can;t point much below about 65-70 degrees to teh east, and not much below about 45-50 to the west. North and south are also limited.

So for most objects, I may only have the ability to image 2-3 hours from the time they "rise" above to "set" behind obstructions. As such, for a long winter night (which can last up to 12 hours or around there), in order to utilize the whole night I have to set up multiple targets in sequence with specific start and end times (and note, these times change through the weeks, months, and seasons, so you have to keep after them). Also, FTR, I never image an object over just one night...because of the horizon limits as well as weather (almost invariably, I lose 10% or so of my subs each night to wind and/or clouds of some kind or another), I always image objects over many nights. It is pretty rare that I image an object over fewer than three nights anymore. I do usually aim for at least 15-20 hours. With SGP, once you get a handle on sequences...it is actually pretty easy to start doing multi-night imaging. Especially for light polluted areas, this can help you make much better images with stronger signals.

I usually set up sequences by "stellar season" now (as I call it). These seasons have to do with when certain objects are in the sky, when they rise and set. So you've got the summer (milky way) season, the fall season, the early winter season, the late winter season, and the spring (galaxy) season. Each sequence for these seasons will evolve over time...I'll usually start out with 2-3 objects, but as the early objects start to set I'll add others. I'll eventually create a new sequence when the sky changes enough, and do the same thing.

Now with these sequences, I don't generally pick which object to image per-se. I configure the target start and end times, and keep them tuned for where the objects are in the sky, then I just let the sequence run on its own. It will start and stop, slew/center/(rotate), meridian flip even, as well as recalibrate PHD2 and of course all the other little stuff...all unattended. Setting the start and end times are key, so that you don't get stuck trying to image into the tops of trees which can result in the sequence failing and stopping (or entering recovery mode). Once you get that stuff figured out (and it can take some time and some experimentation to get a handle on just what kind of horizons you have at your particular location, when you can REALLY start an object (tree branches don't show up as tree branches...you can easily think you can image when an object is at a certain altitude when in fact it is behind tree branches...you will want to get a feel for this for your location), and when you REALLY need to stop an object), you can run multi-object sequences pretty smoothly. 

Edited by Jon Rista, 25 April 2019 - 12:41 PM.

• Mark326 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics