•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M42 / The Orion Nebula

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 md11spotter98

md11spotter98

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Coral Springs, FL (home) Charlottesville, VA (college)

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:14 AM

I imaged this way back in January, right after I got my first actual telescope. From then till this month I've been reading, experimenting, and learning how to use PixInsight (while working on other targets). M42, despite being a "bright beginner target," is remarkably difficult to process!

Working on this data I went through too many iterations to count. This is the version I'm finally happy with despite the visible noise due to short integration (fog rolled in and cut my night short out in the Everglades). Comments/critique welcome!

Total integration: 1 hour 34.5 minutes (94.5 minutes)
179 x 30 seconds ISO800
30 x 10 seconds ISO800 (for the core)

Camera: Canon T3i (stock)
Telescope: Explore Scientific ED80 f/6.0 Apochromatic Refractor (with ES field flattener)
Mount: Orion Sirius EQ-G (unguided)
Bortle Class 3 (Burns Lake Campground in Big Cypress National Preserve near Ochopee, FL)
Stacked with PixInsight, processed with PixInsight, GIMP, and Paint.NET

47536802572_97a2a1df66_c.jpg

• Kenny V., dmdouglass, mikewayne3 and 8 others like this

#2 44maurer

44maurer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:35 AM

Nice job.
  • md11spotter98 likes this

#3 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:47 AM

Excellent job on preserving the Oiii emission at the core waytogo.gif

It reminds me of the visual view using a large dob.

Edited by 17.5Dob, 25 April 2019 - 12:48 AM.

#4 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:16 AM

My favorite is the running man, and it looks excellent. 

#5 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:05 AM

That's a very nice image under any circumstances and even more so given that it is one of your early attempts. You've done a good job at holding detail in the core of the nebula.

...Comments/critique welcome!

The only real distraction I could find would be the blue halos around some of the stars and the pinkish tone to the stars around the core which could be helped with some masking and/or color noise reduction or some modifications in the color saturation.

#6 md11spotter98

md11spotter98

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Coral Springs, FL (home) Charlottesville, VA (college)

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:59 PM

Nice job.

Thank you!

Excellent job on preserving the Oiii emission at the core waytogo.gif

It reminds me of the visual view using a large dob.

Thanks! I almost lost that color difference with PI's color noise reduction, but masking protected it.

I haven't had the honor of looking at it through anything more than a measly 90mm Mak!

My favorite is the running man, and it looks excellent. 

Thank you!

That's a very nice image under any circumstances and even more so given that it is one of your early attempts. You've done a good job at holding detail in the core of the nebula.

The only real distraction I could find would be the blue halos around some of the stars and the pinkish tone to the stars around the core which could be helped with some masking and/or color noise reduction or some modifications in the color saturation.

Thank you very much! Oh yes, I struggled with those halos throughout the whole editing process. I've noticed that using arcsinh stretch in PI leads to halos (while a regular histogram transformation does not). I think the halo problem traces back to that initial arcsinh stretch... They show up even in grayscale: (from the originally posted image)

Za2

I initially preferred arcsinh's preserved colors over histogram transformation's "bleached colors" effect. But I may try going back and using HT to avoid the halos (and maybe combine the two results). The pink stars will be a much easier thing to fix. Thanks for the advice!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics