•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

atik 383l + setting gain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Whiteghost81

Whiteghost81

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:54 AM

hi, excuse my english, I am Italian, I have an atik 383l camera + apt astro software, I would like to understand if it is possible to change the gain.

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:29 AM

These older cameras don't have gain setting.

#3 Whiteghost81

Whiteghost81

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:19 AM

so to use it I have to extend the exposure time? I also have the asi 1600 pro camera, and it seems much more sensitive than the atik

#4 Konihlav

Konihlav

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:34 AM

The ccd camera doesn't allow to change the gain (it is set to the most optimal value, changing it makes no sense). It has 16bit ADC, so the dynamics is huge, but you need to fill it with photons (turned into electrons), so you need 1. longer exposures and 2. need to stretch the image lot more than those 12-bit raw fit files that output from the new sensitive cmos cameras...

The CCDs still persist in astro cameras mainly because there haven't been any new CMOS chip that is LARGE, but that's going to change soon (this or next year, finally after 10-15years of wait for something new and better) and all CCDs reach the EOL (end of life).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics