•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion U-mount

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jprideaux

jprideaux

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:28 AM

I see that Orion is now selling a “U-mount” which is a fork mount for large binoculars or small scopes. The width limitation is 11.25 inches and it has a vixen dovetail (with optional insert to use one or two 1/4 thread bolts for binocular attachment to bottom of binoculars. The U-mount comes with what looks like a 3 or 4 inch mini pier that in turn attaches via 3/8 inch thread to a tripod. There is a converter if you need to attach to 1/4 thread. It looks similar to the fork mount that APM sells. $500, no encoders. Check out their video for more information.

Edited by jprideaux, 25 April 2019 - 05:29 AM.

• elmiko, ngc7319_20 and DeanD like this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:36 AM

Along with the cheaper price, the addition of the Vixen Saddle (+plate) makes this an Ideal choice IMO.

Well done Orion!

#3 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

Hmmm....  Be nice to have mounting points for add-on encoders...

#4 jprideaux

jprideaux

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:35 AM

Orion sells this either by itself or bundled with their Paragon Plus XHD tripod for an extra $100.  Any opinions on whether the Paragon Plus XHD tripod is up to the task?  I've read that for a BT100 (or larger) the tripod choice is very important. 

Edited by jprideaux, 25 April 2019 - 08:39 AM.

#5 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:03 AM

The fork looks good for the price; similar in design to the APM fork but the uprights are a bit narrower.  By the specs it appears to be about the same weight as the APM fork but it would be nice to see them side by side to really compare.

I wouldn't put a 100mm BT on a fork/XHD tripod, though, but perhaps a 70mm BT. The XHD isn't really what I'd call a HD tripod. The fork itself weighs 11# and a 15# BT added to that would surely overload the tripod.  A heavier geared column Manfrotto type tripod would be better suited, I'd think.

Rich

#6 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bear River, CO

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Looks like a very nice binocular mount from Orion. Excellent video also. Imagine that could handle a 120. 

#7 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

A great option for their BT100-45.  I agree that a heavier tripod would be advisable.   The XHD with its 1/4-20 mounting bolt seems inadequate .  I'd pair it with a Manfrotto 475B or heavier.  

When Orion released the BT100-45 their only mounting choice was the Monster Parralelogram. Inadequate imho.  Nice to see they have a good mounting option now.

#8 olebellow

olebellow

Explorer 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

I have 2 APM fork mounts and 2 Manfrotto MK2B tripods. The Orion fork mount looks cool and I like the removable mounting plate....something the APM fork mount does not have. I also like the graduated marks on the tripod legs....something the Manfrotto does not have. But....IMHO...the Manfrotto MK2B tripod seems beefier than the Orion Paragon..and I don't like the 1/4 to 3/8 adapter the Orion tripod uses....

The fork looks good for the price; similar in design to the APM fork but the uprights are a bit narrower.  By the specs it appears to be about the same weight as the APM fork but it would be nice to see them side by side to really compare.

I wouldn't put a 100mm BT on a fork/XHD tripod, though, but perhaps a 70mm BT. The XHD isn't really what I'd call a HD tripod. The fork itself weighs 11# and a 15# BT added to that would surely overload the tripod.  A heavier geared column Manfrotto type tripod would be better suited, I'd think.

Rich

#9 olebellow

olebellow

Explorer 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

I've been buying parts to make a Vixen type dovetail saddle for my APM fork mounts for my 3 APM Binos..it would be nice if Orion sold that entire unit separately or if APM did.  BTW...while searching for dovetail saddles and dovetail bars for my project, I am noticing alot of these type of parts are on backorder at APM, Hi Point, Farpoint, Lunt, OSO and even Orion ...either the demand must be high for these items or else they all get their parts from the same CNC shop and those guys are on a long lunch break...lol...

Along with the cheaper price, the addition of the Vixen Saddle (+plate) makes this an Ideal choice IMO.

Well done Orion!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics