•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free CPWI software from Celestron

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

Has anyone used this free CPWI software from Celestron?

#2 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:22 PM

Hey Steve- 

I'm surprised nobody has responded to you yet. 

Here's a couple short threads to show at least some folks are also starting to ask questions: 

https://www.cloudyni...st-night-issue/

https://www.cloudyni...92-pwi-ver-205/

https://www.cloudyni...ntrol-software/

These are ones I had recently read as I'm interested in using it too and we discussed it a bit in a post regarding Celestron's new SCT motorized focuser. 

After these maybe try the search box, cuz there must be more of us talking.... 

• WarmWeatherGuy likes this

#3 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:44 PM

Also, the Celstron guru - Michael Swanson has added CPWI info in a few places on his website here:

https://www.nexstarsite.com/

I just used his search box for "CPWI", and got 10+ results, so I'm guessing if he's working with it, it'll be more than just discussion or opinions.... 

Edited by TikiTom, 25 April 2019 - 10:45 PM.

#4 Phguy65

Phguy65

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hudson Valley area, New York State, USA

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

I have tinkered with it indoors, exploring the connection set up options. It recognizes and controls all my equipment fine. I got it outside a couple of nights ago and all went well except it would not align. I was using the direct wifi connection. Finally had to use my smart phone and SkySafari. Next clear night I will try a wired connect through the starsense HC and see if that works.

Edited by Phguy65, 27 April 2019 - 02:40 PM.

#5 Stozhary

Stozhary

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

Yes I do use CPWI2.0.5 version and like it! I have CGX-L mount and it controlled by CPWI + PHD2 combo

I tried StarSence (worked fine), also I tried to work from The Sky X without great results but CPWI the best so far.

Just start program, load pointing model and within 5 min I look on target. Accuracy good enough for 925 mm focal length and ASP-C size sensor.

What is not great - Planetarium. It could be better but OK and is a huge step ahead from ver 1. It's look very basic but it has everything what you need to control

Celestron Mounts. I highly recommend to try it.

Thanks

Alex

#6 dswtan

dswtan

Explorer 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:50 AM

I really like it! I’ve found it far more intuitive than a lot of astro software. I really like the interactive experience between the scope control and the planetarium. Much clearer than using the hand controller. Regular updates at http://teamcelestron.com/. 2.1.25 was just released for NEAF.

#7 homerdt

homerdt

Mariner 2

• Loc: Astoria, Oregon

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately it won't work with my CGE mount, but it did point me in the right direction. Nexstar Observer list will work on mine, the only thing though when I turn it on it turns my tracking off (according to the handset) does anyone out there know anything about it? Do I leave it off or will it still track? I've been going back into the HS and turning it back to EQ North. Seems a pain to have to do this, is it necessary? I'd appreciate any suggestions or help, Thanks...

#8 savaresejim

savaresejim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

I've used version 2.1.25 but doesn't work as per the documentation. I have a CPC 1100 and the hand controller immediately goes bootloader passthrough and can't be used to slew during alignment. I've used a wireless mouse and piece of cardboard at the scope and finder while peering at the computer screen to complete the alignment, along with using the camera live view once the star is in the finder. Also I had trouble understanding if PEC which I batch trained previously had found the index and was on, after I turned it on. The biggest problem is that PHD and theskyx  crash when connecting to the mount using the CPWI ASCOM driver. According to posts at PHD the problem is the CPWI driver and Celestron is working on it.

Hopefully these bugs will get fixed because the software seems really great. I can use it now but without guiding, so I haven't been using it. I've tried a configuration using the skyportal and a hand controller but I had trouble there because I have a few issues with my mount which I will need to take it into the shop and have them look at it. so this might be a way to use the hand controller. I also found that there is an ASCOMPAD program that may allow using a joystick like nexremote to control the scope during alignment.

But like nexremote you can hibernate (called park). You can save your star modeling and reload it. Many other hand controller features are available allowing more remote operation from your living room over wifi instead of out in the cold or with bugs and critters outside. I'm excited about it but won't really use it until they fix the PHD thing and I know that PEC is working. The status says searching for index but never anything else. I would just move on and once you move to another target it starts saying "tracking" for status again.

#9 Phguy65

Phguy65

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hudson Valley area, New York State, USA

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

Hey folks,

I was able to get out last night finally. This time I ran everything by usb wire through the SS handset. SS manual alignment was pretty much perfect and it tracked really well over the 3 hours i was out. Hopefully the star chart will improve over time but overall I find the suite really useful. Next step is to see how well it plays with Eagle3 set up.

Cheers all!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics