•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stowaway Round 2 - notifications, list chatter, and friendly! discussion

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#226 agavephoto

agavephoto

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

Focal ratio has nothing to do with it for my uses.  All about aperture.  As I said, was contemplating replacing my 102 and 81 duo with a single scope in the middle like 92mm would be.  So not an apples-oranges compare at all but an apples to apples since aperture is the only differentiating quality given form factor size difference is meaningless for my uses.  Actually, my 102 and 81 together cost less than the 92!  The 102 is more capable and when I do travel taking the <$1k 81 is a lot less stressful than would be taking a 3-4x higher priced 92 !!

I beg you to reconsider Bill! Look, if in the end you want out of it you would have zero problem selling it for what you have in it. These aren’t logical instruments and trying to justify them using solely logic is missing the point. Astro-Physics scopes are an experience unlike any other. At the level you’re at in this hobby, you owe it to yourself to try this one. It fits most of your requirements nicely. And you will have gained the experience from it (you’re big on this Bill I know!) and will then speak from an experienced point of reference after it...Priceless!!! It just so happens there is no cost in this venture...just your time, the money will come back to you. Yes...Yes...I am calling you out on the carpet and challenging you Bill to buy and try and tell us of your experience after! Maybe, just maybe, after the experience you will become a believer likevthe rest of us. It may not be logically explained or justified...but challenge yourself to discovery!!!

Thanks, Bill, as it increases my chances of getting one a little, too. If you do decide to try one and don't like it, you can always find people to sell it to who will put them to use instead of storing them away in a closet for 10 years as a collectors item only.

#227 spencerj

spencerj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Londonderry, NH

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:20 AM

Last year my friend bought a brand new ATV to connect up to a plow so he can clear his driveway in the winter.  That doesn't seem real logical to me, but it makes my friend happy.  You can hear it in his voice when he talks about it.  I don't have an ATV or a snowmobile or a motorcycle or a boat or a gun collection or a lake house or a sports car--my car is almost 10 years old and long paid off.  I like telescopes.  My decision to buy a Stowaway isn't about logic.  It is more "I just want to own one".  Maybe for a year.  Maybe for 30 years.  The thought of the scope arriving and using it and travelling with it just makes me happy.             

• Scott in NC, turtle86, Spacedout and 4 others like this

#228 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

Last year my friend bought a brand new ATV to connect up to a plow so he can clear his driveway in the winter.  That doesn't seem real logical to me, but it makes my friend happy.  You can hear it in his voice when he talks about it.  I don't have an ATV or a snowmobile or a motorcycle or a boat or a gun collection or a lake house or a sports car--my car is almost 10 years old and long paid off.  I like telescopes.  My decision to buy a Stowaway isn't about logic.  It is more "I just want to own one".  Maybe for a year.  Maybe for 30 years.  The thought of the scope arriving and using it and travelling with it just makes me happy.             

The thought of getting one just makes me happy too, and for me that’s what it’s all about. In fact, I see nothing illogical about buying something that you know will make you very happy.  It’s just a personal decision. Different things make different people happy.  For your friend, it’s an ATV, for some of us it’s an exquisite little apo.

Sure, $3500 is a lot of money for a 92mm scope, and there are other scopes of similar aperture that will deliver comparable views for much less money, but if you really want one and can afford it, I say go for it.  Life is short.

Edited by turtle86, 17 May 2019 - 10:54 AM.

#229 Swanny

Swanny

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

I agree that if it is what you want, you have the dough, you get the call, then do it. But don’t have the misperception that this is the only scope of that aperture that will provide you excellent views of the skies. That is where the silliness begins.

#230 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:07 PM

It is the only scope you can sell for more used than new.  Just gotta wait a while.

No, you don't have to wait a while! lol

Edited by stevenwav, 17 May 2019 - 12:10 PM.

#231 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:18 PM

No, you don't have to wait a while! undecided.gif

Funny.    I am surprised that I have not seen a Stow from the new runs for sale.  Hope they are getting used.  But, my guess is that some (many?) of them - especially to the folks on the list from 20 years back are not seeing much star light.

I think if I was a collector the earlier iterations (F/4.9 and F/6.6) would be more valuable to me.

Edited by peleuba, 17 May 2019 - 12:18 PM.

• Paul G and turtle86 like this

#232 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

I know a few out there that haven't seen first light due to atrocious weather. 

#233 Heywood

Heywood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: At Stars' End

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

If I were a collector, I'd want the new Stowaway. It is Roland Christen's latest product, using his best skill and design.

#234 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

I agree that if it is what you want, you have the dough, you get the call, then do it. But don’t have the misperception that this is the only scope of that aperture that will provide you excellent views of the skies. That is where the silliness begins.

Agreed.  That’s why I said there are other scopes of similar aperture that will deliver comparable views for much less money.  Some folks just want an AP scope (I imagine that for some it’s a bucket list kind of thing) and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Edited by turtle86, 17 May 2019 - 03:06 PM.

#235 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

If I were a collector, I'd want the new Stowaway. It is Roland Christen's latest product, using his best skill and design.

I understand the infatuation with the latest work and no real argument from me as I'm on the list.  But do some reading on the oiled Stowaways and you'll understand how ground breaking they were - especially the Fluorite based F/4.9 lens.

• Paul G and Sockrateez like this

#236 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

And you will have gained the experience from it (you’re big on this Bill I know!) and will then speak from an experienced point of reference after it...Priceless!!! ...  Maybe, just maybe, after the experience you will become a believer like the rest of us.

I hear you.  flowerred.gif   But as another has said  ...

Control, control, you must learn control!  Attachment leads to jealously.  The shadow of greed, that is.  When you look at the dark side, careful you must be.  For the dark side looks back!  If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.  Jedi.gif

• Daniel Mounsey, plyscope, Starhawk and 4 others like this

#237 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:13 PM

Control, control, you must learn control!  Attachment leads to jealously.  The shadow of greed, that is.  When you look at the dark side, careful you must be.  For the dark side looks back!  If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.  Jedi.gif

grin.gif  love it!

• Starhawk likes this

#238 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

grin.gif love it!

😆 I guess I have fulfilled my destiny then...But which side have I fallen to...the dark or “the light”?! 🔭
  • Daniel Mounsey, contrailmaker and rockstarbill like this

#239 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

One interesting thing about the AP92 f/6.65 is how close it is in focal length to the Orion ED80/ Celestron C80ED/ Skywatcher 80ED telescopes' focal length, but as a triplet instead of a doublet, and with 12mm more aperture.  I have the C80ED version, and have always liked its high degree of color correction, but often was frustrated because it couldn't get just a little bit further in magnification to be a perfect grab-n-go.  I get to see how long it takes Roland to get to 7:10 PM on April 18...

-Rich

• pao likes this

#240 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

Bill, 

We're talking about Astronomy, here.  Finding the dark path to the dark side is the entire reason for lightweight, portable telescopes.  It is too late for us to turn back.

-Rich

#241 pao

pao

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:12 PM

I have the C80ED version, and have always liked its high degree of color correction, but often was frustrated because it couldn't get just a little bit further in magnification 

I agree. I own a Orion 80 ED refractor and I think it is a wonderful telescope, at least optically speaking. Mechanically, well, not exactly a jewel but for the price it’s stunning. I also think it’s a great grab and go telescope, lightweight, easily transportable and with magnifications between 20x and 200x, as I’m used to, is a real “fac totum”.

I’m also waiting the Stowawayfingerscrossed.gif , I think (and hope) will be a jewel...

pao

#242 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

I have owned a couple of Orion 80EDs, and a couple of Orion 100 EDs. And a couple of SV80/9Ds.  All performed well for me.  I am hoping that the Stowaway will be "better" than the 80s and almost as "good" as the 100s.  I am

100% visual.  I think I miss one of the 80EDs and one of the SV80/9Ds the most.  Getting one on the good side of the Bell Curve was a real treat.  I expect the Stowaway to be virtually flawless to my eye.  I will report back after

Eldorado Star Party in October.

#243 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

Yes, I think the 90 class does exactly as you state...they do much better than 80’s and are very close to what 100 delivers in the 80 package and form factor. I have had three 90’s, the Stowaway will be the fourth and final as Nirvana will be achieved for me.

#244 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

I've often wished the 90mm form was a common as 80mm.

-Rich

Yes, I think the 90 class does exactly as you state...they do much better than 80’s and are very close to what 100 delivers in the 80 package and form factor. I have had three 90’s, the Stowaway will be the fourth and final as Nirvana will be achieved for me.

#245 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

I can't imagine evaluating a three or four inch aperture based on its performance on globular clusters. Maybe the soft ones like M56.

#246 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Loc: NC

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

I have a nearly perfect SV90TBV fluorite triplet, and look forward to comparing it to the AP 92 Stowaway when I receive mine this fall.  One or the other will likely be up for sale next spring.  The only problem for me is that I might like them both so well for their own reasons and decide to keep both, which doesn't make much logical sense. 

• gnowellsct likes this

#247 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

The Stowaway will round-up my telescope collection. I needed a refractor in the 100 mm class and it is close enough. After it arrives I’ll be down to four telescopes; the 130 GTX, the Stowaway, the TV60 and the oddball in the group, the 180mm Mak. The TV60 is my travel scope and the Mak was my in-between scope while I was looking for a GTX. Thing is the Mak’s Optics are so good, and it is so easy to quickly mount on a simple alt-az mount that I decided to keep it for now. The TV76 will be up for sale soon. It is a great little scope but it will become redundant once the new one arrives.

I’m looking forward to the planetary/lunar views with the grab-and-go Stowaway when the seeing doesn’t justify setting up the bigger scopes. I also recently got a Hershell wedge for white light solar and the 92mm fits the bill there too. I don’t foresee acquiring any more telescopes unless fate takes me back to a dark location (unlikely). These four telescopes will fulfill my observing needs for the foreseeable future.

CM

• Scott in NC and Anthony236J like this

#248 Roragi

Roragi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

I think I'm starting to value more my traveler, to think that I paid for it, less than $ 3000 in the second hand market and what now costs these new 92mm of AP, I think I made an excellent purchase.

Roberto.

• Paul G, Scott in NC and Sockrateez like this

#249 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

I have a nearly perfect SV90TBV fluorite triplet, and look forward to comparing it to the AP 92 Stowaway when I receive mine this fall.  One or the other will likely be up for sale next spring.  The only problem for me is that I might like them both so well for their own reasons and decide to keep both, which doesn't make much logical sense. 

I think it does, actually (make sense to have two).  The one that's replaceable (the SV) gets to go on the road with you.  The one that's designed for travel but which is irreplaceable can stay home.    In the event that I ever take possession of a Stowaway there will be some kind of division of labor like that.  The CFF is far too righteous a scope to cut loose into the used market.

With its slightly longer focal length the CFF is also more appropriate as "solar scope" for h-alpha viewing.  In this it is superb, though it lags the GT130 which is stunning.    

I got equipped with h-alpha to be able to do some astro from time to time and not wait for those rare moments when the sky is clear and the moon is down and I don't have work the next day.  I got the DM6 mount with the same idea in mind--quick setup for views when setting up the whole GEM would be too much.  I've gotten probably close to 30 hours of observing in since the CFF arrived in March but I haven't had a single occasion to do night time astro.  I've developed a deep attachment to it mainly on the basis of solar and one evening of lunar.  

Sooner or later, I guess, there will be a clear night sky, but in the meantime I've been getting some views.  

GN

• Scott in NC, elwaine, Tyson M and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics