•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Slide off Roof OBSY Build

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:25 PM

It begins...

Materials2.jpg

I'm getting ready to build a small slide off roof obsy using the 60in heavy duty drawer slides.  It will be 8 feet by 5 feet, just large enough to hold my Cem60+Newt and my Atlas+80mm. 

I'm going to be pushing the sliders with my roof calculated to come in at 250 pounds, but I have a way to "assist" the roof as it slides off to take much of the weight off the sliders. 

I wont be installing piers, and hope that it will be stable enough for my tripod and tri-pier.

I have been inspired by the recently resurrected thread here: https://www.cloudyni...ing-a-mini-ror/

Will keep progress posted....

• okiestarman56, elmiko, John O'Grady and 8 others like this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

Just be aware.  My split roof has 4 48 inch full extension slides rated 500 pounds a pair.  The roofs weigh about 125 each.   When fully extended, they sag maybe 1/4 inch.  It's clear the slides notice the roofs, even at 25% rated load.  The roofs are about 4X4 with the overhang, the obs 8X7.

One issue is that the rating is not for such widely spaced slides, it's for a drawer.

Edited by bobzeq25, 25 April 2019 - 09:12 PM.

• Starsareus likes this

#3 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:18 PM

Just be aware. My split roof has 4 48 inch full extension slides rated 500 pounds a pair. The roofs weigh about 125 each. When fully extended, they sag maybe 1/4 inch. It's clear the slides notice the roofs, even at 25% rated load. The roofs are about 4X4 with the overhang, the obs 8X7.

One issue is that the rating is not for such widely spaced slides, it's for a drawer.

Thanks Bob. I saw that in your thread, but i don't want to do a split roof, so I devised a way to support the roof so the sliders don't have all that weight cantilevering out when it's opened up.

We'll see if my non existent engineering skills pass or fail.

Thanks!
  • elmiko, PirateMike and gfstallin like this

#4 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

Good luck!

I hope yours looks better thought out than mine. I had to cut corners to keep the wife happy in terms of hours spent, but at the same time she thinks the building looks bad. A bit of paint once the weather dries up a bit might help that outlook.

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:10 PM

I had a couple of hours this morning, so I started the project.  I was planning on a full day but some work emergencies pulled me from my task.  I'm on vacation all week, so hopefully I can get most of it done... fingers crossed.

I live on 1/3 of an acre and my yard is flanked on three sides by tall oak trees and the other side by my house.  I am locating it 20 feet behind the house and towards the south side of the yard which will give me a full view of the northern sky and the zenith.  So I'm good with Ursa Major, Cepheus, Cass, Cygnus, Auriga, Etc...  I won't be able to do much in Orion, which is a bummer but I really couldnt anyway with the trees to the south so it's a compromise. 

Today I dug up the sod, laid 4 layers of landscaper fabric and a couple inches of crushed stone.  Size will be 5'x8' and I'm going to raise it up on cinder blocks to keep the wood off the ground and make it less appealing of a place for rodents, etc to nest.

Here is where it is going to be located:

Obsy Location.JPG

• elmiko and PirateMike like this

#6 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

Here is the foundation:

Foundation.JPG

Construction will start tomorrow!

• elmiko, rockstarbill, PirateMike and 1 other like this

#7 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:54 PM

My wife thinks a rabbit is living under mine which is raised. Although there's gravel as well there so don't know. Still no mice I don't think. Having a vole issue though which I haven't been able to resolve just yet.

#8 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:21 AM

My wife thinks a rabbit is living under mine which is raised. Although there's gravel as well there so don't know. Still no mice I don't think. Having a vole issue though which I haven't been able to resolve just yet.

I'm going to fill in the cinder blocks with crushed stone to remove the cavity.  I also have dogs, so most animals dont find my fenced in yard too appealing.  But mice and chipmunks have been known to risk their lives...

• PirateMike likes this

#9 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

Today I had all afternoon to work on this project!

Here are the floor joists.  2x6 Pressure Treated.  Notice the cinder blocks full of marble and mounded up to make the space less inviting to rodents. 

Floor Joists.JPG

• elmiko, l_stoian79, rockstarbill and 1 other like this

#10 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

Platform Installed.  3/4" Plywood.

Platform.JPG

• starbob1, elmiko, l_stoian79 and 2 others like this

#11 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:48 PM

When my wife came home she took a picture of me as I was putting up the framing for the walls.  She is very supportive of this project despite it being in a some-what inconvenient location in the yard.  Yep, she's a keeper!

Builder.JPG

• L. Regira, jim kuhns, elmiko and 11 others like this

#12 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:52 PM

The next three pics are different views of the walls framed in.  Notice the caps on the end walls that extend behind the structure 30in.  These are pressure treated and will be the supports for the sliders.  While the sliders will have the roof base mounted to them, there will be little casters mounted on the bottom of the roof base that will roll on this.  (There will be supports angling back to the base).  So essentially this will be a slide off roof with a roll off assist. This will hopefully allow for a bigger and heavier roof that the sliders can manage. 

View1.JPG

• elmiko, l_stoian79, rockstarbill and 1 other like this

#13 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:53 PM

Side view.

View2.JPG

• elmiko, l_stoian79, torsinadoc and 1 other like this

#14 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

And here is the side opposite the roll-off.  I've framed a 30in wide door, that I havent decided how I'm going to outfit.  I might do something on hinges, or I might do a removable panel.  I'll need to get into this to unlock the roof and potentially to tweak something on the setup, but for the most-part I don't intend to crawl into this thing once it is setup. 

View3.JPG

• N1ghtSc0p3, rockstarbill and PirateMike like this

#15 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:12 PM

When my wife came home she took a picture of me as I was putting up the framing for the walls.  She is very supportive of this project despite it being in a some-what inconvenient location in the yard.  Yep, she's a keeper!

attachicon.gif Builder.JPG

So it's sort of similar wall height as mine. I'd strongly recommend a hardhat when you put up your roof. I had an unfortunate encounter between head and a clamp. The resulting blood looks pretty epic even though the damage was in reality not that bad. The doctor didn't use stitches because he said since I have hair he could use glue and the hairs act like stitches. He was right but the glue took 3 weeks to come off my hair after everything healed and it was itchy while it was decaying off.

I have also since bonked my head on the entrance once, and am thinking if I need to add a layer of foam to help prevent future injuries. 

Edited by gotak, 30 April 2019 - 11:14 PM.

• ChrisWhite likes this

#16 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Vanguard

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:26 AM

Looking Great !!  I think you are going to enjoy using it too !!

• ChrisWhite likes this

#17 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

So it's sort of similar wall height as mine. I'd strongly recommend a hardhat when you put up your roof. I had an unfortunate encounter between head and a clamp. The resulting blood looks pretty epic even though the damage was in reality not that bad. The doctor didn't use stitches because he said since I have hair he could use glue and the hairs act like stitches. He was right but the glue took 3 weeks to come off my hair after everything healed and it was itchy while it was decaying off.

I have also since bonked my head on the entrance once, and am thinking if I need to add a layer of foam to help prevent future injuries. 

You might need a hardhat all the time!  Lol...

I've built more than a few "sheds" for housing pumps on my sugarbush, so used to crawling around on roofs and dodging construction hazards.  I've also bled a lot along the way...  (proving your point??)

#18 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

You might need a hardhat all the time!  Lol...

I've built more than a few "sheds" for housing pumps on my sugarbush, so used to crawling around on roofs and dodging construction hazards.  I've also bled a lot along the way...  (proving your point??)

I have put on the hat a few times to go inside. Since I once fall down into my basement with my mount and tripod and no one woke up to see what happened, I figured no one's going to noticed till morning if I really hurt myself outside in the dark.

#19 DMRandall

DMRandall

Vostok 1

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

The swimming pool "noodles" make a nice head protection strip.  Much needed with a shorty door.  :)

• Starsareus likes this

#20 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

Had another day to work on the build.  I was hoping to get the exterior walls up, but mounting the sliders and getting the spacing right for the rollers was a bit tricky.  I do have to make a modification to the back wall as the roof contacts this when it is closed.  Fortunately, I have screwed everything together which makes these little adjustments very easy.  14 screws and I can cut down the wall studs 1/8" to get a little bit of clearance.  Otherwise, the roof slides off easily, and there is zero sag on the drawer sliders thanks to the roller assist. 

There will be a bit more weight up there once I add the steel, but I'm comfortable that the weight will not be a problem. 

Here are some pics of the progress:

Closed.JPG

• elmiko, l_stoian79 and PirateMike like this

#21 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Rollers.JPG

Trusses.JPG

• elmiko, l_stoian79, PirateMike and 1 other like this

#22 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

Open.JPG

• R Botero, elmiko, l_stoian79 and 2 others like this

#23 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

Assist.JPG

• PirateMike, gotak and sunnyday like this

#24 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

Open2.JPG

• Tom K, rockstarbill, PirateMike and 3 others like this

#25 Goodchild

Goodchild

Apollo

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:21 AM

Chris, I appreciate the details you include with your pics.  I've never seen exactly how these roll-offs work.  This is helpful.

• elmiko, quality guy and ChrisWhite like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics