•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Serious SGP issues - Continuous Crashing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:29 AM

Alright...it's 1AM and for the last 4 hours I have been doing nothing but sitting in the cold trying to get SGP to do 2 things. 

1. Plate solve with PS2

2. Actually run a sequence

I'm going to preface this with saying I've been using SGP for 3 years now and have never had either of these issues until now.

What's new:

The camera I'm using - ASI 120mm-s (yes lol...i'm goofing around with lucky imaging until my 1600 shows up) - this is usually my guide cam and has never given me quarrels.

Anyway I don't really care about the plate solving right now as it will work with a blind solve, however it's related to the primary crashing issue.

I can essentially get 1 image out my camera before SGP crashes (with no error box). Either 1 plate solve, or 1 integration on a sequence. As soon as it hits a second plate solve attempt, or second integration it crashes. Which means I can't "center on target"...nor actually run a sequence. 

This is happening on the most recent and the two previous releases of SGP. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything multiple times, on multiple releases, tweaked settings, restarted PC...reset camera/unplugged<>replugged...etc...etc...and the issue persists. 

Does anyone  have any idea what could possibly be causing this? It's 100% repeatable. 2nd image...no matter what...crash. 

I eventually just deferred to using sharp cap to collect my data tonight instead of trying  to use SGP after wasting 4 imaging hours trying to get it solved. I've got clouds for the next two weeks straight (or so they're saying) so I was really hoping to get this ironed out tonight but I'm going to have to call it at this point, and see if you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

Any Ideas at all are helpful. 

Thanks in advance! 

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:42 AM

Does it crash if you just eschew plate-solving and just try a sequence of two (or more) images? I understand it won't be on target, but it'll help isolate the issue.

If it *just* crashes on plate-solving, my *guess* would be that you haven't input the FOV correctly (in arcmin) in the platesolve2 window. The FOV is pixel scale * pixels/60 (both horizontal and vertical). 

#3 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:52 AM

Does it crash if you just eschew plate-solving and just try a sequence of two (or more) images? I understand it won't be on target, but it'll help isolate the issue.

If it *just* crashes on plate-solving, my *guess* would be that you haven't input the FOV correctly (in arcmin) in the platesolve2 window. The FOV is pixel scale * pixels/60 (both horizontal and vertical). 

No it will crash if I just tell it to run a 2 shot sequence as well. If I do that (or even try to take two focusing shot) it will kick an ASI General Error. If I try to live stream it enters an infinity loop and requires a ctr-alt-del

Edited by JP50515, 26 April 2019 - 01:57 AM.

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:20 AM

Problems like this are often USB problems that seem to be something else. Some of the USB code runs in the Windows kernel. So, when that code hits a problem, nothing other than killing the program will fix it. If you moved / changed even one cable think about going back to where things were. I had this problem with a system about 3 years ago and fixed it with shorter better cables and haven't seen it since. Just a thought, assuming that you haven't upgraded SGP or something else on the system. 

#5 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:28 AM

Problems like this are often USB problems that seem to be something else. Some of the USB code runs in the Windows kernel. So, when that code hits a problem, nothing other than killing the program will fix it. If you moved / changed even one cable think about going back to where things were. I had this problem with a system about 3 years ago and fixed it with shorter better cables and haven't seen it since. Just a thought, assuming that you haven't upgraded SGP or something else on the system. 

I am using the cable that came with the ASI Camera...which I thought were fairly decent cables. Perhaps I will try swapping USB ports though and seeing if that makes any difference. 

I'm currently taking 500 - 12s exposures with that little cam via sharp cap while I warm up inside for a bit. 

Any suggestions for high quality replacement cables for the ASI cameras? 

#6 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:55 AM

I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS with the cables supplied by ZWO.  Their cameras are nice, but their cables are garbage!  I swapped out mine for an amazon branded one and never had a problem since, go figure.

#7 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:27 AM

I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS with the cables supplied by ZWO.  Their cameras are nice, but their cables are garbage!  I swapped out mine for an amazon branded one and never had a problem since, go figure.

What kind of problems were you having?

#8 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

>What's new:

>The camera I'm using - ASI 120mm-s (yes lol...i'm goofing around with lucky imaging until my 1600 shows up) - this is usually my guide cam and has never given me quarrels.

Have you double checked that all your camera parameters are all correct in your equipment profile / control panel views?

And are you using the native or ascom interface to the camera?  Have you tried switching between these?

And I assume thew same camera is not still configured as your auto guider?

#9 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

I have 4 cables (USB3) from ZWO and have never had any issues with them. My issues have been from switching ports (in error). I find putting each device on the same port each time nullifies my problems, even when using a multi-port POWERED USB hub.

#10 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

One more time. Use only short high quality USB cables. Use a high quality industrial hub. USB was never intended to be something that worked under field conditions. That why we still have serial and UTP wiring where performance is critical and things are exposed to the weather. Since I've been adhering to this, I cannot recall having a USB problem regardless of what port I use. I have no idea why ZWO or SB thinks that a 15 foot cable USB 2 or a 10 foot USB 3 cable is a good idea. 

It is true though that the drivers for ZWO and QHY particularly will default to the wrong camera when you change ports and you either have or have used a different camera from that vendor on the same computer. So, make sure whenever you change anything on a system that uses one of these cameras that you check through the ASCOM chooser exactly what camera the DRIVER thinks you are using and what the parameters are for the driver.

Check in device manager that the camera is correctly installed and that Windows can see it as that may give you a tipoff regarding the nature of the problem.

Rgrds-Ross

• JP50515 likes this

#11 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

What kind of problems were you having?

Camera would not STAY connected on USB3 port.  Stayed connected on USB2 port, but when I want usb3, I want usb3.

#12 georgian82

georgian82

Messenger

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Have you considered trying out N.I.N.A?

It’s relatively new and performs all the tasks that SGP does but it’s a lot more stable and the image downloads are much faster (which is the main reason I decided to give it a try).

And it’s free 😉

Cheers

Edited by georgian82, 27 April 2019 - 08:43 AM.

• JP50515 likes this

#13 JP50515

JP50515

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:04 PM

It was the cables! Nice call mate, thanks a bunch!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics