•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lucky Imaging with the ASI 120mm-s - M81

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JP50515

JP50515

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:31 AM

So I goofed around a bit tonight in sharpcap since SGP was crashing on me repeatedly. 

Took about 500x - 12s subs with the little 120mm-s behind an Astronomik L-2 filter and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. 

I'm terrible at processing though and wasn't able to get flats so it is what it is. 

Pretty cool to see this come off such a cheapo camera with short subs though! 

Attached Thumbnails

• current-combine-RGB-tool-image-St.jpg

Edited by JP50515, 26 April 2019 - 09:33 AM.

• RandallK, pinzmann, okiestarman56 and 19 others like this

#2 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

That looks amazing!  I'll have to give it a go with my 120mc.

• JP50515 likes this

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

Very neat and I love the big beautiful Stars with diffraction spikes, gives it an almost mystical! look!

#4 JP50515

JP50515

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

Thanks Mate! Yeah I was really quite surprised by these results. I'm 1 day into my learning with Astro Pixel Processor so I can almost guarantee someone else can polish this data better than I can. 

#5 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Gemini

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

I frequently exercise a brief run like this, particularly when the seeing is significantly above average. You can get absolutely excellent resolution with this method, as you've amply demonstrated above.

When I calibrate data for such an experiment (for really, every time out it's still an experiment for me), I use AS!3 for the calibration and stacking, sometimes even employing drizzle on very good nights.

One of my longer-term projects is to create a really detailed, hi-res, color image of M81. The H-alpha regions can be captured in incredible intricacy with a ton of short exposures via a "planetary cam" even with a 12 inch SCT.

Nice work!

• JP50515 and RossW like this

#6 JP50515

JP50515

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

I think my settings were 12s exposures - Gain 70.

Give it a shot! It's kinda nice cuz you don't need guiding, you don't have to worry about planes or satellites or wind/vibrations wrecking subs since they're so fast. 

I'd be really curious to couple this technique with traditional dso imaging techniques. 

Like maybe run luminance and/or RGB on shorter subs like this, and narrowband on longer exposures. I bet you'd be able to get some really nice contrast doing it that way, especially in bright cores and such. (I'm sure it's been done many times over already) 

#7 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:29 PM

Awesome work, especially for an image with no calibration, cooling or dithering. I love seeing what people pull off at such short exposures.

• JP50515 likes this

#8 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

I think my settings were 12s exposures - Gain 70.

Give it a shot! It's kinda nice cuz you don't need guiding, you don't have to worry about planes or satellites or wind/vibrations wrecking subs since they're so fast. 

I'd be really curious to couple this technique with traditional dso imaging techniques. 

Like maybe run luminance and/or RGB on shorter subs like this, and narrowband on longer exposures. I bet you'd be able to get some really nice contrast doing it that way, especially in bright cores and such. (I'm sure it's been done many times over already) 

I can't remember who it was but several years ago somebody was posting some amazing shots using hundreds of 1 or 2 second exposures.  Yours came out great!

• JP50515 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics