•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filters for both visual and photographic work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rowdymail1

rowdymail1

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:51 AM

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some advice on what filters to buy.

Clearly there are filters for visual use as well as photographic use.

If I can avoid buying a set for both ( ie visual and photo work )...that would be great, if not , so be it.

1. Can you use photo filters for visual use or visa versa ?

2. What filters do use suggest for planet / deep sky for 

a) visual view of planets and deep sky 

b) imaging of planets and deep sky

2. Not wanting to be arrogant but money not an issue, what filters do people suggest - both 1.25 and 2in ( without suggesting all of them )

Cheers guys...and clear skyies

#2 ks__observer

ks__observer

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:14 AM

Photo filters are in a different class than your inexpensive visual filters.

I did try looking at Jupiter with my blue ZWO photo filter and it was one of the best Jupiter views i had ever seen.

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:07 AM

Generally imaging filters are to enable the imaging to select a specific wavelength.

So they use say Ha, OIII and Hb.

Ha is simple, it is the one up in the red area.

OIII and Hb are less simple, they are fairly close to each other.

So the bit they pass is narrow, otherwise your image is both OIII and Hb.

Visual tends to be to enhance, not boost, a specific wavelenth or set of wavelengths. As such they can be wider, as much as to allow more light into the eye as anything. So you could find that a nebula filter passes both OIII and Hb to the eye. But what it does more relevantly is block the general atmospheric crud so that the OIII and Hb stand out a bit better.

Some "nebula" filters pass OIII, Hb and Ha, but block the stuff in the middle. The Ha is open to question - eyeball operation.

So for imaging select the wavelengths you want to capture and buy the relevant filter. They seem to come in 7nm, 5nm and 3nm widths. The narrower then the more expensive. Less is more in this case, sometimes a lot more.

Likely 2" are safer, they should not encroach in to the light path. And they can be fitted to a 2" diagonal and you can change eyepieces without having to swap filters (visual).

For visual it is common that the first filter is an OIII, or similar/suitable nebula filter. Just remember that the target need to be suitable. Galaxies and globular clusters tend not to benefit as they are "white".

If you can borrow a filter or two it is likely worth it. There is a fair bit of misunderstanding about filters.

There are filters that pass 3 wavelengths (fairly narrow bands), you will have to search, not sure of the application area.

So visual, a nice OIII filter. Imaging is whatever fits the filter wheel and the bandwidth passed and your processing.

#4 Hernando

Hernando

Lift Off

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:45 AM

Hello,

Does anyone know the quality of the LRGB and Narrowband filters (H-a, OIII and SII) of the ATIK brand ?, the same company that produces the famous astrophotography cameras.
I have tried searching through forums, previews, etc. and I can not find any of those filters. I think that being from the same company, they must be very good, but even so, I can not find anyone to give me information or even images made with those filters.

I hope someone can answer (It's something I'd really appreciate)

Hernando

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics