•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is on the list for a Mach2?

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#26 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Vanguard

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

I'm just hoping that the price of used Mach1s will fall further so I could afford one tongue2.gif

IMO, at this point, I don't see the Mach 1's being sold off in large quantities so the owners can fund a new Mach 2. Until the final costs are realized, the mounts actually begin shipping and hands-on reports are posted, folks will probably take a wait and see position. Getting on the list costs nothing at this point. The 'problem' AP has with getting Mach 1 owners to move to the Mach 2, is the Mach 1 is an excellent portable mount, with a proven overall history of user acceptance and reliability. Old school thinking: If it ain't broke I'll keep it until it does or I win the Power Ball .. lol.gif

• epdreher likes this

#27 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am on the list for a Mach 2, because I think Miguel is making a list of who to "take care of" to move up in the pecking order. :)

• psandelle, PirateMike, kkt and 3 others like this

#28 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

IMO, at this point, I don't see the Mach 1's being sold off in large quantities so the owners can fund a new Mach 2. Until the final costs are realized, the mounts actually begin shipping and hands-on reports are posted, folks will probably take a wait and see position. Getting on the list costs nothing at this point. The 'problem' AP has with getting Mach 1 owners to move to the Mach 2, is the Mach 1 is an excellent portable mount, with a proven overall history of user acceptance and reliability. Old school thinking: If it ain't broke I'll keep it until it does or I win the Power Ball .. lol.gif

I agree. None of the Mach 1 users I know personally intend on getting the Mach 2. But hey, one can dream, right? laugh.gif

#29 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:21 PM

I'm hoping that some Mach 1 owners will feel that their mount is obsolete and upgrade... 

I'd love a Mach 2, but the price puts it out of my league.  I'd probably go for a CEM120 at half the price... Or even better a used Mach 1!

• mikefulb likes this

#30 GlendaleGuy

GlendaleGuy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

I'm on the fence on this. To get on the list now, or wait until after the first people have them in their hands to report on them. It would seem to be the perfect mount for my needs. Huge update on my wedge and spur gear Celestron. And able to carry a possible 11" SCT in my future. At the moment I am not on the list though. Mulling things over.

#31 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:48 PM

I'm on the fence on this. To get on the list now, or wait until after the first people have them in their hands to report on them. It would seem to be the perfect mount for my needs. Huge update on my wedge and spur gear Celestron. And able to carry a possible 11" SCT in my future. At the moment I am not on the list though. Mulling things over.

I'm on the list, but can't imagine in the first round. I didn't sign up until later during NEAF. I was kinda thinking about the second round being better, too. You should get on the list. It would be a nice upgrade! Got the C11 Edge for my Mach 1 and it works well. The C8 was too puny and looked funny on there. :)

#32 johnsoda

johnsoda

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

Can someone define what being “on the list” means? I signed up in their website to be notified when they are accepting orders. Many websites offer this service for out-of-stock items. I didn’t take it as even a semi-commitment to buy. Am I wrong? Is there another list for those willing to commit?

Edited by johnsoda, 07 May 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#33 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

Can someone define what being “on the list” means? I signed up in their website to be notified when they are accepting orders. Many websites offer this service for out-of-stock items. I didn’t take it as even s semi-commitment to buy. Am I wrong? Is there another list for those willing to commit?

I saw some vendors have a waiting list but they request a deposit.  I would not consider any kind of commitment or a entry onto an official list from AP unless they took your money.  I think it is notification only, then you can order and get on the list with a check.  I could be wrong.

#34 johnsoda

johnsoda

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:22 AM

I saw some vendors have a waiting list but they request a deposit. I would not consider any kind of commitment or a entry onto an official list from AP unless they took your money. I think it is notification only, then you can order and get on the list with a check. I could be wrong.

Thanks. I realize that by not putting a deposit down, I’m probably delaying my being able to get the mount if I decide I want it. I’m fine with that.

#35 GlendaleGuy

GlendaleGuy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

I'm on the list, but can't imagine in the first round. I didn't sign up until later during NEAF. I was kinda thinking about the second round being better, too. You should get on the list. It would be a nice upgrade! Got the C11 Edge for my Mach 1 and it works well. The C8 was too puny and looked funny on there. smile.gif

I'm not sure if it would look puny or not, but I plan on keeping my old C8 on it's fork mount. I would get a new scope to go with the Mach 2. Haven't decided to jump on the list yet, though it is very tempting. I also need to make sure I wouldn't miss the deposit in my budget.

Edited by GlendaleGuy, 07 May 2019 - 12:38 PM.

#36 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

Can someone define what being “on the list” means? I signed up in their website to be notified when they are accepting orders. Many websites offer this service for out-of-stock items. I didn’t take it as even a semi-commitment to buy. Am I wrong? Is there another list for those willing to commit?

It means that you are interested in the product.  There is no commitment whatsoever to actually make a purchase.  When they are in the planning stages of the manufacturing run, they will contact people on the list and ask if they would like to order.  If you order, it would be at that time that you put down money on the purchase (usually 50%).  I've known plenty of people who decline to make an order when they are contacted.

Here is the page that describes how the lists work.

Note, though, that with their new web site, they are no longer using lists for new products, including the Mach2.  They have changed to a "notify me" model so that they will contact you when the item is available to order.  In practice, I suspect that this works a whole lot like their older lists, but perhaps avoids some confusion as to what it means to be "on the list"...

• RossW likes this

#37 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

Thanks. I realize that by not putting a deposit down, I’m probably delaying my being able to get the mount if I decide I want it. I’m fine with that.

It doesn't work that way.  You can't put a deposit down when you express an interest in the product.  You can only do that once you actually place an order.  And you can only do that once they notify you that the product is available to order.

#38 johnsoda

johnsoda

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:32 PM

It doesn't work that way.  You can't put a deposit down when you express an interest in the product.  You can only do that once you actually place an order.  And you can only do that once they notify you that the product is available to order.

Sounds like maybe that’s true of Astro Physics, but some vendors are taking deposits. In any case, I’m not in a big hurry. I have a mount I’m happy with - just might be looking to move up a bit after the Mach2 gets some real-world use. 

Edited by johnsoda, 07 May 2019 - 02:32 PM.

• PirateMike likes this

#39 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

I just don't see a reason to give up my Mach1.

Bruce

#40 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:00 PM

I did get in the list right away but it will be a game time decision. I have a 7 month old Mach 1 that works fantastic for me. And I only would want the 2 if I choose to move up to an AGO or Planewave instead of a AGO 10” or TEC 160 which is really where I am leaning. And the AE I understand are better served for permanent setups which I do not do. I wheel the setup out each time I use it. So probably passing.

#41 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 09 June 2019 - 10:12 AM

I think I am on the list for a Mach 1. If so, that may mean I am on the list for a Mach 2.

If not, I am willing to bet that some people who Are on the list, own Mach1s and, will put them up for sale. Given the price shown on Anacortes the sale of a Mach 1 might allow someone to buy the Mach 2 who otherwise could not afford it. 

Jim

#42 epdreher

epdreher

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

That's a definite possibility, but IMO those might be thinking that bargain-priced used Mach1s are going to be plentiful will be waiting more than a few years.  When I see guiding like I commonly get, and guiding really not being difficult, I have no need for something that exceeds my local seeing levels more than my Mach1 easily does.

Again, my opinion.

Edited by epdreher, 09 June 2019 - 11:33 AM.

#43 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:46 AM

On the list also.  But like others have said, nothing wrong with my 900's or 1200's that I currently use.  However encoders might be nice for my longer focal length observatory scopes.  

Will also decide at the time I get notified.

Dean

#44 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

• Loc: On far side of moon. Send help.

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

I want to be on the list but I am not sure I should have a more valuable mount than the car I use to get it to the dark-sky site.  

One trick to not have your stuff stolen is to pretend that you are broke. Nothing communicates "broke" better than a beater car that looks like it is about to fall apart.

I used a '97 Sentra (with 200k miles, and it showed) for my Mach 1 + Televue 127is combo for a few years.

#45 AstroMike47

AstroMike47

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:27 PM

Im on " The List " to upgrade fm my Mach1 CP3. AstroMike ( Veradale, WA )

#46 GlendaleGuy

GlendaleGuy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

I ended up putting my name on the list to be notified. If I have the money set aside by then I will put in an order. If not it will be even longer.

#47 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

I'm in.

Not sure exactly what I'm in, but I'm definitely in it.

• alphatripleplus and Fernando134 like this

#48 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:11 PM

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am on the list for a Mach 2, because I think Miguel is making a list of who to "take care of" to move up in the pecking order. smile.gif

Not to worry Bob, as there is nothing you can do about it.

I have my ticket to New Mexico just to be sure that all the bases covered and all the boxes checked! lol.gif

Miguel   8-)

• rockstarbill likes this

#49 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:04 AM

Id love a premium mount. This sounds super portable. I just dont have clear enough skies to justify the price

#50 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:47 PM

On the list but won't likely order.... possible I could sell the MyT and get the Mach 2. Game time decision.
  • epdreher and PirateMike like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics