•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is on the list for a Mach2?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#151 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:55 AM

Congrats to you as well!  That's a few of us that now expect delivery in December.  I'm curious what others are buying with the mount?  I did not pickup a new tripod as I have a Losmandy.  What did everyone else do?  Did you pickup RPAS?  I have a PoleMaster but now thinking about RPAS???

So, for those of us that are expecting this new mount in Dec., what else are we picking up with it?  It's my 1st AP mount.  I'm picking up the basics only.  What do others think?

I've used PM for a few years now and really like it.  That said, I recently bought a mach1 and it came with a RAPAS.  All I can say, is that it's the bomb.  I like it way more than PM.  It's fast and accurate, and easy to use. 

#152 Rick Socarras

Rick Socarras

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

I've used PM for a few years now and really like it.  That said, I recently bought a mach1 and it came with a RAPAS.  All I can say, is that it's the bomb.  I like it way more than PM.  It's fast and accurate, and easy to use. 

That's not what I want to hear$$$$,,,!  I guess I'm adding more to my invoice...again.

#153 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:38 AM

Well here’s hoping that most of you on the waitlist with “Mach 2 fever” already have Mach 1s & its time to get the latest new toy so that there will be plenty of used Mach 1s on the market come the new year.....dalek12.gif dalek12.gif dalek12.gif

#154 RRod

RRod

Ranger 4

• Loc: Green Bay, WI

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

Why would it be *much* cheaper? The only savings I see is in materials. You may be able to save on tripod and CW's, but the rest (labor, encoders, etc.) should be the same. 

If it has encoders, it would *not* be under 6K. I would lose a big bet if they can do it for less. Not that it won't sell at that price. I think it will sell well. 

Well at this point if they want to compete with MyT they will have to have something about 6K and if they are planning to make it, they will have to hurry or MyT will be taking that share of the market which is not that large. I already gave up AP and looking to buy MyT

#155 Gleason

Gleason

Vostok 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:45 PM

Well here’s hoping that most of you on the waitlist with “Mach 2 fever” already have Mach 1s & its time to get the latest new toy so that there will be plenty of used Mach 1s on the market come the new year.....dalek12.gif dalek12.gif dalek12.gif

Most likely 900's are going up for sale!  

#156 epdreher

epdreher

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:07 PM

If someone wants an A-P mount, I wouldn't be counting on a huge number of Mach1s on the used market just because of the Mach2.  And with the latter's pricing, those Mach1s aren't going to be much less than what the owners paid for them.

• gundark likes this

#157 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:09 PM

If someone wants an A-P mount, I wouldn't be counting on a huge number of Mach1s on the used market just because of the Mach2.  And with the latter's pricing, those Mach1s aren't going to be much less than what the owners paid for them.

Price isn't a factor there is nothing about the Mach2 I find remotely interesting that I would replace my Mach1.

• epdreher and Lola Bruce like this

#158 Rick Socarras

Rick Socarras

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:55 PM

Price isn't a factor there is nothing about the Mach2 I find remotely interesting that I would replace my Mach1.

I've never used a Mach 1 but I agree it's a great mount.  There is no reason to buy a Mach 2 if the Mach 1 is meeting all you expectations and needs.  Let's face it, for many of us here we will never need more than what a Mach 1 can provide.  It's simply a great mount.  I decided to purchase a Mach 2 because 1) Mach 1 no longer available and 2) I like the idea of encoders 3)  It's a design based on what has been learned with the Mach 1 and other AP mounts.  I was on the original list for a Mach 1 but why purchase a mount that now limits me?  So I went with a Mach 2.

• psandelle, epdreher and gundark like this

#159 Rick Socarras

Rick Socarras

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

Many of you have permanent setups.  I'm not so lucky.  I've decided to do it right and have no regrets so I decided to add the eagle pier.  My question is simple.  Do any of you add the extension with the eagle pier or do you guys just use the Eagle and nothing else to add height?  

Edited by Rick Socarras, 25 September 2019 - 08:58 PM.

#160 gundark

gundark

Messenger

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:35 PM

I use just the Eagle with no extension and am very happy with it.

#161 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland bay shoreline

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

Rick

I use Eagle pier/Mach1 combo with my TSA120 imaging setup. I choose set of attachment points for leg rings on Eagle so Mach1 starts around 30” high with legs at widest (stable) position. I didn’t need to buy the extension since no clearance issues with tripod legs with my size (length) OTA and typical imaging train components. My imaging train camera setup is currently ‘small footprint’ (ZWO brand) and only varies a bit in dimension whether using OSC or mono/filterwheel. I’m running mid-30’s lb load typically on Mach1.

Dave

E5217567 2203 46D2 AE50 74B99A66A909

• elmiko likes this

#162 GlendaleGuy

GlendaleGuy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:02 AM

Nope, I don't have one of those.

#163 Swanny

Swanny

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

Many of you have permanent setups.  I'm not so lucky.  I've decided to do it right and have no regrets so I decided to add the eagle pier.  My question is simple.  Do any of you add the extension with the eagle pier or do you guys just use the Eagle and nothing else to add height?  

I have a bit of an issue with the roof of my house where I kind of need the extension to guarantee I have no issues with finding Polaris.  But I would prefer not to use it as it is more stable without it to be honest.  So I might make a pad out in the yard a ways to get the clearance I need without the extension.

Ultimately I would prefer a pier that fits the Mach 2 that has more height than they currently supply.  The 24" which is all they have currently does not suffice.  Would like 42-48" option then I can leave it on the pad.  I could do the same with the Eagle out here in the desert but I would prefer not to during the monsoons/rains.  

#164 epdreher

epdreher

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:54 PM

Exactly.

#165 Gert

Gert

Ranger 4

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:07 PM

Hello All,

With the Mach2 hitting the market, what is the expert's prediction on used availability of i.e. the AP900 mounts?

Clear Skies
Gert

#166 Dean J.

Dean J.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

I’m no expert but I do know that my AP900 will go to a new home after the new Mach2 gets dialed in. So there will be at least one available.  grin.gif

Edited by Dean J., 26 September 2019 - 07:29 PM.

#167 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

At this point, there probably isn't any way to really estimate the availability of the used Mach1 and AP900 mounts.  There are too many variables.  We don't how well the Mach2 will end up doing when it is released and what the teething period will be.  Some people view the Mach1 as a mount to keep now that they have been discontinued.  Other people will probably just switch to the Mach2 and won't look back.  The rate at which people switch to the Mach might determine whether the demand for used Mach1's will exceed the supply of them or vise versa and we will not have any feel for that at least until the second run comes out (currently predicted for April 2020).  The AP900 sits in a similar situation to the Mach1 in this regard.  There aren't many in the first place and the sales of the Mach2 may effect their availability or not.

• psandelle likes this

#168 Rick Socarras

Rick Socarras

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

The Mach 1 and AP 900 are amazing mounts and both have an amazing track record of performance and success.  I suspect people will part with them as they acquire 'newer' mounts like the Mach 2 and the yet to be developed mounts that AP will create.   But that process will take years - as such, the price probably will not drop too much.

It's all speculation.  Let's cheer AP for this bold move and discuss things about the new Mach 2 and the level of performance and technology it brings.  This level of performance was unimaginable 20 years ago.  The Mach 2 is expensive, and I can understand people wanting a deal on a great mount like an AP900 or Mach 1...but people are not going to give great mounts away...

• psandelle and f430 like this

#169 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Vanguard

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:23 AM

The Mach 1 and AP 900 are amazing mounts and both have an amazing track record of performance and success.  I suspect people will part with them as they acquire 'newer' mounts like the Mach 2 and the yet to be developed mounts that AP will create.   But that process will take years - as such, the price probably will not drop too much.

It's all speculation.  Let's cheer AP for this bold move and discuss things about the new Mach 2 and the level of performance and technology it brings.  This level of performance was unimaginable 20 years ago.  The Mach 2 is expensive, and I can understand people wanting a deal on a great mount like an AP900 or Mach 1...but people are not going to give great mounts away...

Agreed. I have what you might call a full-up Mach1 setup. I bought a pristine, hardly used 2010 era CP3 model early in 2012 from the original purchaser. He bought just about everything available for the Mach1 at the time, Eagle pier with trays, 1.8" cw shaft and weights, etc.  Over the years I've added the AZM upgrade, Eagle pier extension, CP4, additional CW and 1.8" shaft extension, GTO cable extension, APCC standard.. ..

For me, I believe I have a considerable investment in my setup and frankly I've never thought about selling it to move up to an 1100 or jumping ship and swimming over to another manufacturer. At the time and to this day, my limited experience leads me to believe the Mach1 was and is one of the best entry level premium mounts ever produced. It was designed as a rugged, reliable, light weight, precision mount that a casual visual user or mobile imager could easily transport, setup and use with a minimum of fuss and bother. As with many AP mounts produced over the years, you'll find Mach1's continuing to be used years into the future... essentially a mount that will become a classic now that production has ended.

If I win the PowerBall, I'd think seriously about adding a Mach2 .. just because I could afford it ..grin.gif  but I would still have no plans to sell the Mach1. I guess you could say I'm a satisfied AP customer ...

• AZStarGuy and kolsen like this

#170 Fernando134

Fernando134

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

Agreed. I have what you might call a full-up Mach1 setup. I bought a pristine, hardly used 2010 era CP3 model early in 2012 from the original purchaser. He bought just about everything available for the Mach1 at the time, Eagle pier with trays, 1.8" cw shaft and weights, etc.  Over the years I've added the AZM upgrade, Eagle pier extension, CP4, additional CW and 1.8" shaft extension, GTO cable extension, APCC standard.. ..

For me, I believe I have a considerable investment in my setup and frankly I've never thought about selling it to move up to an 1100 or jumping ship and swimming over to another manufacturer. At the time and to this day, my limited experience leads me to believe the Mach1 was and is one of the best entry level premium mounts ever produced. It was designed as a rugged, reliable, light weight, precision mount that a casual visual user or mobile imager could easily transport, setup and use with a minimum of fuss and bother. As with many AP mounts produced over the years, you'll find Mach1's continuing to be used years into the future... essentially a mount that will become a classic now that production has ended.

If I win the PowerBall, I'd think seriously about adding a Mach2 .. just because I could afford it ..grin.gif  but I would still have no plans to sell the Mach1. I guess you could say I'm a satisfied AP customer ...

+1!!! If I decide to get a Mach2, I would keep the Mach1 for visual. And selling my Atlas Pro that, nowadays, I keep for visual while imaging with the Mach1. My 2 cents...wink.gif

#171 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

Well, like many things I’m probably a day late & a dollar short ...  At $5,500 that was a price point I’d probably been ok with when I got to the point that I could exploit a Mach1 class mount but at $8,500 for a Mach2 I’m not sure I’d be willing to ever go there ...

and to honest its not really even the money; its more that I don’t really understand what I get for that price.  I don’t know what I don’t know.  Currently with my WO GT81 my EQ6-R Pro performs flawlessly.  Not saying its on par with a Mach1 or 2 but the thing just works without issue.  I routinely get .5-.6 total RMS guiding errors so I’m sure what else I need.  I know I’m not exactly doing 20 min subs but I don’t need to either and I don’t have a heavy payload either.

Feel free to enlighten me on what I’m missing out on by not having something like a Mach2?

Edited by nimitz69, 28 September 2019 - 06:41 PM.

• mikefulb, RRod and Fernando134 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics