•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron PWI and Gamepads

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 hpanken

hpanken

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

I am new to Astronomy and this forum.  Sorry if this is posted in the wrong topic.

Is it possible to use a game pad to control alignment for PWI?

I found the laptop to be awkward.

Howard

• Stefan042 likes this

#2 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:29 AM

I can’t say about a game pad or not specifically but, I am working on either getting a mouse or game controller that can do the slewing. It would need to be configured so you can use the device to operate the direction keys. That shouldn’t be to har I don’t think. I’m checking out different places trying to find one where the software allows the buttons to be reassigned. 

Jack

• Stefan042 likes this

#3 hpanken

hpanken

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:38 AM

Some of the more advanced mice from Logitech have enough buttons. I probably can do something similar with then the gamepad which have other buttons.

#4 tomwall

tomwall

Messenger

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

My friends and I just got together to play with this software. On balance, we liked it a lot. 

My interest relates to your concern. Controlling Nexremote from the computer is very challenging. The old school work around was to use a game controller to manage the alignments. PWI seems to address this problem. The catch is that you need to use the newer hand controller ($100??) that has the usb connection at the base, not the older HC that has the 232? plug. Additionally, there is a different HC for the alt/az mounts (the SE, EVO?). They can't be used interchangeably, like the older HCs. I tried. 

So, according to the manual :-), you can do your alignments using the HC and/or the computer. There is no need for the old school game pad work around. 

This being said... I haven't done any of this stuff yet and I'm reading up on the progress of others.

Hint: Any Youtubes yet???

Good Luck.

Tom,

Tucson

#5 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:00 AM

Unless something changed, the hand controller is useless when connected to the computer and CPWI. Also, unless you have StarSense, it’s a pain to align.

Tha hand controller goes into boot loader mode and has zero functionality when connected to CPWI. When you disconnect CPWI from the mount you have to power cycle it to be able to use it again normally.

Jack

Edited by makeitso, 28 April 2019 - 11:01 AM.

#6 hpanken

hpanken

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

Tucson,

Jack is right.  The HC goes into Bootloader mode while using CPWI, and does not respond to commands.  The new Nexstar + comes in older RS232 and new USB versions that both support CPWI.  The Nexstar + firmware can be downloaded into the HC for either type of mounts...NXS firmware is for the alt/az mount for example.  The h/w is the same.

I was trying to work around the alignment procedure for CPWI, which I tried using the mouse on the virtual keypad on the screen, while holding the laptop and looking through an eyepiece.  The direction keys are also active and easier.   Still not as easy as a joystick.

I was trying to first determine if the software was able to use the gamepad.  It is not explicitly described in the documentation for CPWI.

Howard

#7 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

I believe as long as you can assign the buttons or what ever mechanical object (button, wheel, joystick) to the arrow keys on the keyboard, you should be good. I have a mouse that partially works, it just doesn’t have enough buttons, only two. And I can’t assign the left/right buttons to the arrow keys or I would be done. I have $15 refurbished Logitech mouse on the way.

I am looking for inexpensive, durability and configuability. I looked at joysticks but haven’t found one that fits there yet.

Planning on assign the left/right scroll buttons to left/right arrows and the other two buttons to up and down arrows.

Jack

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

$20 can get you basic wireless PC remote control units from a whole variety of sources. These are intended for home theater and PC presentation use. They can usually map at least the mouse movements and buttons, and the Enter and Backspace keys (and usually an awful lot more). More money usually gets you more functionality (more keys, more range, etc.).  

#9 makeitso

makeitso

Ranger 4

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:50 AM

I figured since I already have a mouse, I’d try it first. A remote or any kind of game controller would be a one trick pony. I need it to serve multiple purposes if possible. 

Jack

#10 hpanken

hpanken

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:37 PM

OK.

So here is the answer.  Maybe it was obvious to some more experienced computer astronomy people.  

CPWI does not directly support a game pad.  However it does support its own ASCOM driver.  If you use a ASCOM app such as ASCOMPAD, connected to the CWPI ASCOM driver, it will use a gamepad to move the mount, without losing synchronization (I think).  It may be useful to document this as sticky sometime, mostly showing this as the capability.

Howard

Attached Thumbnails

• celestron.jpg

• Stefan042 likes this

#11 beammeup

beammeup

Mariner 2

• Loc: Straight of Gibraltar

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

I believe as long as you can assign the buttons or what ever mechanical object (button, wheel, joystick) to the arrow keys on the keyboard, you should be good. I have a mouse that partially works, it just doesn’t have enough buttons, only two. And I can’t assign the left/right buttons to the arrow keys or I would be done. I have $15 refurbished Logitech mouse on the way.

I am looking for inexpensive, durability and configuability. I looked at joysticks but haven’t found one that fits there yet.

Planning on assign the left/right scroll buttons to left/right arrows and the other two buttons to up and down arrows.

Jack

I used in the past a Logitech Rumblepad 2 with NEXREMOTE, it was really nice to wirelessly control the scope.

I can confirm that the wireless rumblepad also works wirelessly with CPWI, to control the slew in 4 directions, I am a happy bunny.

Not as many features as with NEXREMOTE, but still very handy and useful... and easy peasy to set up..smile.gif

Celestron AVX mount with 8HD/Hyperstar and Starsense.

67a6a5298b6d375c26423ed18467ab9a.jpeg?im

Edited by beammeup, 13 September 2019 - 08:12 AM.

• makeitso and hongming like this

#12 cherokee

cherokee

Lift Off

• Loc: indiana

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

I also have the rumblepad and was wondering how you got it to work. I have used it for years on next remote. I tried it but cant seem to get a combination on the set up screen to work, I does see it says conected to gamepad. thanks Cherokee

#13 beammeup

beammeup

Mariner 2

• Loc: Straight of Gibraltar

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:24 PM

I also have the rumblepad and was wondering how you got it to work. I have used it for years on next remote. I tried it but cant seem to get a combination on the set up screen to work, I does see it says conected to gamepad. thanks Cherokee

At the moment it only works for slewing. (Wireless rumblepad)

You have to map 4 buttons and/or the joysticks as keyboard arrow keys.

This can be done by creating a new profile in the Logitech configuration Windows program.

(File picture - example ):

pinnacle-game-profiler_59177.png

Edited by beammeup, 18 September 2019 - 04:28 PM.

• makeitso likes this

#14 cherokee

cherokee

Lift Off

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

That would be great for what I want. I just use it to center the alignment stars. Ill see if I can figure this out. Thanks Cherokee

#15 cherokee

cherokee

Lift Off

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:58 PM

Am I suppose to have software for this. I cant seem to find anything on my pc for this. I have had this a long tine and cant find a disk? Cherokee

#16 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:49 PM

I use the Xbox Bluetooth game controller with CPWI all the time. It is very simple to setup & use and CPWI readily recognises it. I think that the next version will include focus control (for the Celestron Focuser) which I am looking forward to.

#17 cherokee

cherokee

Lift Off

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:12 AM

OK but how do I set it up? Cherokee

#18 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:00 PM

OK but how do I set it up? Cherokee

I am not sure to whom the question is addressed but as far as CPWI (version 2.3.3) is concerned, there is a Gamepad option in the File menu.

As far as I can tell, CPWI looks for "Xbox Wireless Controller" in the root of the Device Manager or the BlueTooth section. For a wire gamepad, I think that it looks for "Xbox Controller".

#19 cherokee

cherokee

Lift Off

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Richard. Yes that's what I have also a logetech wingman710. It shown it is connected but cant seem to get the setup rite. I can get it to go down only no up or l-R. Mabie they will fix this later. Thanks Cherokee

#20 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:34 PM

I tried this with a wireless Xbox (PC version) and without doing anything I could slew, but it was at an extremely slow rate.  Did not try anything to see if I could select the rate.  Windows 10 on a Lenovo t470s.  Getting this to work would really be nifty!

#21 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:42 PM

The CPWI gamepad interface has two speed ranges, high and low speed. In the the gamepad configuration (on the File menu) you specify whether the default is fast or slow and configure another button, to select the other speed range. It sound like it defaults to slow speed.

I have the slow speed range the default and press the "A" button for fast speed range.

Edited by Rac19, 21 September 2019 - 10:00 PM.

#22 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Richard. Yes that's what I have also a logetech wingman710. It shown it is connected but cant seem to get the setup rite. I can get it to go down only no up or l-R. Mabie they will fix this later. Thanks Cherokee

I have found the official Xbox Controller to more consistent. It has on on off button to turn it on and off and light that flashes when it's not connected and goes steady when it is connected. Both features are very useful.

#23 cherokee

cherokee

Lift Off

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:07 PM

Is anyone using the Logitech 710 rumblepad? I can only get it to move down on the d pad. Tried all other settings but no luck. I have CGEM for about 10years. works great with next remote Really like the new software a lot but the wife gets mad about coming out to the shed to push buttons at start up. LOL. Cherokee

#24 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:20 PM

Is anyone using the Logitech 710 rumblepad? I can only get it to move down on the d pad. Tried all other settings but no luck. I have CGEM for about 10years. works great with next remote Really like the new software a lot but the wife gets mad about coming out to the shed to push buttons at start up. LOL. Cherokee

I have used it and it does work. There are two modes "Rumble Pad" and some other mode which I think is very close to Xbox Controller emulation. I am pretty sure that you need the "other" mode.

EDIT: See the quote below from Logitech. Also, in "Printers and Devices" the gamepad is called a "Rumblepad" in one mode and something else, possibly "Gamepad" or "Xbox", in the other mode. This the thing that gave me a lot of grief, it was difficult to get it to connect consistently in the right mode. All these issues went away when I used an actual Xbox controller.

Using the Mode button on my F710 gamepad
The Mode button on your Wireless Gamepad F710 swaps the functionality of the directional pad (D-pad) with the left thumbstick. When the Mode button is lit, the functionality is being swapped.

If either your D-pad or thumbstick isn't operating as expected, press the Mode button. This should resolve a situation where the D-pad is acting like a thumbstick or vice versa.

Edited by Rac19, 21 September 2019 - 10:30 PM.

#25 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:56 PM

Looking at my Gamepad Configuration.. (see below) there are a few things that need to be explained.

Slew RA/Azm: - Straight forward.

Slew Dec/Alt: - Straight forward.

RA/Azm Activate: I think that think might default to "Hold to enable slewing" and I have reversed it to "Hold to disable slewing".

Dec/Alt Activate: I think that think might default to "Hold to enable slewing" and I have reversed it to "Hold to disable slewing".

These 2 settings to provide pure RA or Dec slewing on an EQ mount. This is not so important on an Alt/Azm mount. I have allowed simultaneous Alt and Azm input.

High Speed Activate: I have chosen the "B" button and "Hold = Fast, Release = Slow". I think that it may default to "Hold = Slow, Release = Fast".

EDIT: Actually, I think that it may default to "Hold = Fast, Release = Slow" and that the slow speed may be not so obvious when testing.

I prefer "Hold = Fast, Release = Slow" so that I don't accidently get fast slewing during final centering of a target.

BTW. In the Preview window, the difference between RumblePad mode and Normal mode can be demonstrated.

Attached Thumbnails

• Gamepad.jpg

Edited by Rac19, 22 September 2019 - 12:22 AM.

• beammeup likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics