•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron PWI and Gamepads

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 cherokee

cherokee

Lift Off

• Loc: indiana

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:27 AM

Tanks all. This should be a big help.Cherokee

#27 cherokee

cherokee

Lift Off

• Loc: indiana

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:46 AM

Thanks Apollo and all others. I just tried it and works like it did for next remote. That was the ace Apollo. Clear sky's

Cherokee

#28 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

BTW. In the Preview window, the difference between RumblePad mode and Normal mode can be demonstrated.

This may not work as I don't think CPWI recognises the RumblePad in the first place. The difference in the RumblePad and Normal modes can be seen by right clicking on the controller in Printers and Devices and looking at Advanced Properties.

#29 nrcapes

nrcapes

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

For those of you who have gotten the Xbox wireless controller to work, is it the Xbox One or some other model? thanks!

#30 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:54 PM

For those of you who have gotten the Xbox wireless controller to work, is it the Xbox One or some other model? thanks!

Yes, it is the Xbox One in my case. The only "one" that I could find in the store.

The Logitech F710 worked in Normal mode (which I think they might call "X" mode). The only problem, as I said, was that it didn't always connect in that mode. So I would expect that any official Xbox controller would work, but I haven't tested that.

I recommend checking the Device Manager to see if "Xbox Wireless Controller" is there. If it is would expect CPWI to detect it.

EDIT: I tested the only wired game controller in possession, the Logitech F310, It showed up in the Device Manager as "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" under "Xbox 360 for Windows" and was readily detected by CPWI.

Perhaps CPWI recognises anything in the Device Manager with the text "Xbox" in it. Just a guess. The

F310 differs from the F710 when switched to RumblePad mode, the name doesn't change in the Device Manager and CPWI still detects it. You can then see the difference  in the two modes in the CPWI Gamepad preview Window, the left joystick (thumb) controls the digital D pad outputs not the analogue joystick outputs, not useful for slewing with speed control.

Edited by Rac19, 24 September 2019 - 06:52 PM.

#31 DoodahMan

DoodahMan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:46 PM

OK.

So here is the answer.  Maybe it was obvious to some more experienced computer astronomy people.  

CPWI does not directly support a game pad.  However it does support its own ASCOM driver.  If you use a ASCOM app such as ASCOMPAD, connected to the CWPI ASCOM driver, it will use a gamepad to move the mount, without losing synchronization (I think).  It may be useful to document this as sticky sometime, mostly showing this as the capability.

Howard

Where do you find the CPWI ACCOM driver?  I find nothing on the Celestron website, within CPWI of on the ASCOM website...except for a generic Celestron driver.

Thank you.

Larry

#32 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:43 PM

Where do you find the CPWI ACCOM driver?  I find nothing on the Celestron website, within CPWI of on the ASCOM website...except for a generic Celestron driver.

Thank you.

Larry

The current version of CPWI (2.2.3) most definitely supports a game-pad, directly and is much better than ASCOM-Pad in my opinion. I used ACSOM-Pad for a while but gave up on it. This feature has been added to CPWI since April, the date of the post that you were replying.

Something that the CPWI game-pad interface is missing at the moment is focus control but I believe that this will be added (for the Celestron Focuser only) in the next CPWI release.

See post #25 above.

Edited by Rac19, 24 September 2019 - 11:44 PM.

#33 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:41 AM

Some more info on game-pads that work with CPWI, based on what I have to hand.

This is not and exhaustive evaluation, but in my tests, anything that appeared in the Device Manager with "Xbox" in the name was detected by CPWI.

EDIT: I just noticed that under "Human Interface Devices" there in entry called "Bluetooth XINPUT compatible input device". I am not sure where this is fir the F710 (Unifying Receiver) or the Xbox One (Bluetooth).

BTW: While testing various gamepads I have discovered that CPWI can be switched between multiple gamepads. If you go to "File/Gamepad Configuration" a dialogue pops asking that you click the Start button on the gamepad. When you do so, the configuration window pops up. If you click OK, it then becomes the active gamepad. I am going to try this to use one gamepad 'scope side use and another one indoors use.

Attached Thumbnails

• GamePads.jpg

Edited by Rac19, 25 September 2019 - 08:20 PM.

#34 beammeup

beammeup

Mariner 2

• Loc: Straight of Gibraltar

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

Some more info on game-pads that work with CPWI, based on what I have to hand.

This is not and exhaustive evaluation, but in my tests, anything that appeared in the Device Manager with "Xbox: in the name was detected by CPWI.

BTW: While testing various gamepads I have discovered that CPWI can be switched between multiple gamepads. If you go to File/Gamepad  Configuration a dialogue pops asking that you click the Start button on the gamepad. When you do so, the configuration window pops up. If you click OK, it then becomes the active gamepad. I am going to try this to use one gamepad 'scope side use and another one indoors use.

Sorry, which Xbox one controller exactly, is it the 1708?

#35 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

Yes, model 1708.

#36 Rac19

Rac19

Apollo

Posted 01 October 2019 - 05:49 PM

Looking at my Gamepad Configuration.. (see below) there are a few things that need to be explained.

Slew RA/Azm: - Straight forward.

Slew Dec/Alt: - Straight forward.

RA/Azm Activate: I think that think might default to "Hold to enable slewing" and I have reversed it to "Hold to disable slewing".

Dec/Alt Activate: I think that think might default to "Hold to enable slewing" and I have reversed it to "Hold to disable slewing".

These 2 settings to provide pure RA or Dec slewing on an EQ mount. This is not so important on an Alt/Azm mount. I have allowed simultaneous Alt and Azm input.

High Speed Activate: I have chosen the "B" button and "Hold = Fast, Release = Slow". I think that it may default to "Hold = Slow, Release = Fast".

EDIT: Actually, I think that it may default to "Hold = Fast, Release = Slow" and that the slow speed may be not so obvious when testing.

I prefer "Hold = Fast, Release = Slow" so that I don't accidently get fast slewing during final centering of a target.

BTW. In the Preview window, the difference between RumblePad mode and Normal mode can be demonstrated.

Post #33 at https://www.cloudyni...gamepads/page-2 provides more details on how various gamepads appear in the Windows Device Manager. In my experience, only gamepads that appear in the Device Manger with the text "Xbox" in the name seem to be recognised by CWPI.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics