•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen flip mirror w/ Celestron 90mm mak?

accessories Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jackalope

Jackalope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Jacksonville, Fl

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:18 AM

mjk.jpg

I want to use a Vixen flip mirror with my Celestron Mak 90. I know I need an adapter(s) of some sort.

I've seen some similar posts, but I’m just not familiar enough with astronomy threads, sizes and terminology to make

an educated decision on the correct adapter.

Does anyone have any experience making this work?

1. Celestron “rear cell thread” is 44.5mm (95% confidence rating).

2. Vixen flip mirror states nose piece is: "2-inch threaded barrel that accepts 49 mm filters, 50.8mm"

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it. 

My best guess  so far:
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_smsa.htm

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

What purpose will you be using the flip diagonal for? I attempted to use one with my iOptron Mak which has a 2” visual back to do both visual and video astronomy with Rev Imager. However I was unable to reach focus with the camera attached to the diagonal, with a reducer since I was wanting to use it for DSO. I suppose it could work for planetary imaging since you wouldn’t need a reducer.

Scott

#3 Jackalope

Jackalope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

I have no reducer, was just planning on using it for satellite spotting. Thought it would be faster to get ballpark focus w/ an eyepiece instead of laptop screen. thanks

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:20 PM

Ok should work for that. You just need to figure out the right connection. Looks like that should work.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 29 April 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#5 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:50 AM

The Vixen flip mirror does NOT work with the C90.  The flip mirror housing is so large that it impedes the use the focuser...  I have tried this as I wanted to try to use the flip mirror when planetary imaging.

Jaimo!

Edit:

If I recall, the Vixen flip mirror is an SCT thread, so the above linked thread would have the adapter information.

• Jackalope likes this

#6 Jackalope

Jackalope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

Thanks!

#7 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:33 AM

The Vixen Flip Mirror needs to be inserted into a locking 2" visual back, focuser, or similar adapter. It does not screw into an SCT. I tried on mine. The inside threads I believe are for filters. I got a Vixen Flip Mirror with my Vixen ED103 refractor. It inserts into the locking adapter at the end of the focuser. I also have used it on a StellarVue 80mm refractor which has a 2" locking focuser. Here is a picture of the connection to the Vixen ED103.

JohnD

Vixen_FM.jpg

#8 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:25 PM

The Vixen Flip Mirror needs to be inserted into a locking 2" visual back, focuser, or similar adapter. It does not screw into an SCT. I tried on mine. The inside threads I believe are for filters. I got a Vixen Flip Mirror with my Vixen ED103 refractor. It inserts into the locking adapter at the end of the focuser. I also have used it on a StellarVue 80mm refractor which has a 2" locking focuser. Here is a picture of the connection to the Vixen ED103.

JohnD

attachicon.gif Vixen_FM.jpg

John, 

You are absolutely right!

I just got out my bigger Cassegrain and realized that the 2" Visual Back is needed.  When I mock up this on the C90, without an adapter for the 2"VB and just dry fit, my 2" VB (GSO) still interferes with the focuser.

I can imagine would be possible if you could come up with an adapter from the flip mirror to the stock 1.25" VB, but I have zero data to back this up and do not know if one is even available.

Jaimo!

#9 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

So this has got me thinking...  (not a good thing) graduate.sml.gif

A simple solution could be to use this flip mirror, which is widely available, from $100 on ebay to $140 from Orion.  I do not know the quality, but it looks like it might work.  Google "telescope flip mirror" there are a couple of other options.

Jaimo!

#10 CrossoverManiac

CrossoverManiac

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:14 AM

I bought a 1.25" flip mirror for my guide scope to go back and forth between the eyepiece and guide camera but I can't get my 70mm f/5.7 (400mm) guide scope in focus without a 2x barlow lens which cuts my FOV by 1/4.  Would the Celestron C90 fit a 1.25" flip mirror?  Yes, I am aware the 90mm Mak would have a longer focal length but the extra 20mm aperture and having lower magnitude stars visible may make up for it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics