•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which AC cheater cord

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

I want to get an extra AC cord for my 1985 standard model Questar. Its native cord has a two prong polarized plug at the (wall) end of the cord (blades of two different widths), and the socket at the bottom of the Q’s mount has two round prongs of different diameters so as to maintain the polarized orientation. However, it seems like most of the polarized cheaters out there plug into round prongs of the same diameter and maintain their polarized orientation by having a round rubber collar for one prong and a square one for the other on the cord itself. I mistakenly ordered one like this and it won’t work because the prongs (round rods) in my Questar’s power socket are different diameters, so one of them won’t fit the replacement cord. This is what I bought that won’t work. 

Attached Thumbnails

• A93D87FD-EBDD-4DB4-9F6C-37DF45C331D2.jpeg

#2 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

The real solution is to buy from Questar a new base plate polarized receptacle (they call it a "bathtub") and as many cords as you want.  I've sought to find the equivalent, and failed to do so.

• Terra Nova likes this

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:09 PM

Similar in shape to the AC cord for a Canon DSLR battery charger. What's the pin spacing on the cable?

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Ben. I’ve already ordered one from Amazon, that didn’t work, best not repeat the mistake, and just use original Questar products.

#5 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

Is this it?

https://www.allelect...olarized/1.html

I bought a spare online, oh, a year or two ago.

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:58 PM

Is this it?

https://www.allelect...olarized/1.html

I bought a spare online, oh, a year or two ago.

Regrettably no, I bought a power cord just like that and it doesn’t work because it’s non-polarized and the whole for the larger prong is too small.

#7 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

Scroll through here  https://www.surpluss...lecCords-1.html

• Terra Nova likes this

#8 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:10 AM

James, it looks exactly like this one from your source above, but the prong holes on mine measure to just about 8mm even, center to center, as opposed to the 7.2mm in the advertisement. The prong diameters look correct at ~ 3.5 and 2.5 mm and everything else looks the same. Mine also has E-18723 embossed in the plastic socket that plugs into the Q.

Attached Thumbnails

• 30DF70EF-C456-49AA-A8F0-22EE8D4AA510.jpeg

• rcwolpert likes this

#9 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:28 PM

James, it looks exactly like this one from your source above, but the prong holes on mine measure to just about 8mm even, center to center, as opposed to the 7.2mm in the advertisement. The prong diameters look correct at ~ 3.5 and 2.5 mm and everything else looks the same. Mine also has E-18723 embossed in the plastic socket that plugs into the Q.

Maybe give it a try!  

#10 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:20 PM

I bought one from eBay in January 2017, 60's-70's Vintage Leviton Cheater Cord TV, radio, phonograph NOS, but I don't see them now.

#11 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:24 PM

Is this it?

https://tinyurl.com/cheatercord

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:43 AM

Nope, that one is non-polarized (blades and prong holes identical on both sides). My 1985 Q is polarized.

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:47 AM

Maybe give it a try!  

I think the nearly a millimeter difference in prong spacing is too much. Just from holding a millimeter scale up to the prongs on the bottom of my Q, it looks like it’s too much. I don’t want to force and bend or break them. I’d like an extra that I can just keep in a simple loop coil, but I think I best take Ben’s advice and order it from Questar.

• rcwolpert likes this

#14 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

On my 220volt AC Questar I replaced the non-telescope end of my cable with a UK plug, paying attention to the polarity.

If you swap the polarity, does it reverse the motor direction?

I was afraid to try it for fear of damaging the motor, but would this be a valid way to change RA rotation direction, to change north/south hemispheres?

Edited by munirocks, 01 May 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#15 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

On my unit I had to file a notch in the base plate hole to get the ridged plug to fit.

I also attached a handle to the plug to make it easier to remove when the socket is recessed deep within a mounting plate underneath the scope.

If I wanted to make any more mods I'd replace the whole socket and cord with an IEC C13/C14 setup using a kettle lead.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1370743_cropped.jpg

• Mike E., Terra Nova and JamesMStephens like this

#16 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:19 PM

Nope, that one is non-polarized (blades and prong holes identical on both sides). My 1985 Q is polarized.

I misunderstood, I thought you were looking for the unpolarized cable.

• Terra Nova likes this

#17 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:21 PM

I think the nearly a millimeter difference in prong spacing is too much. Just from holding a millimeter scale up to the prongs on the bottom of my Q, it looks like it’s too much. I don’t want to force and bend or break them. I’d like an extra that I can just keep in a simple loop coil, but I think I best take Ben’s advice and order it from Questar.

Terra,

I wonder if the near-millimeter might not be that accurate.  If you don't mind spending a few bucks you might buy one to check and return it if it doesn't fit.

Jim

• Terra Nova likes this

#18 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

On my unit I had to file a notch in the base plate hole to get the ridged plug to fit.

I also attached a handle to the plug to make it easier to remove when the socket is recessed deep within a mounting plate underneath the scope.

If I wanted to make any more mods I'd replace the whole socket and cord with an IEC C13/C14 setup using a kettle lead.

Mini,

Did you paint the base of your Questar blue?

Jim

#19 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:33 AM

Measured at 7.86mm betw centers
Pin Dias 3.56mm & 2.36mm
(recent "bathtub" from Questar)

#20 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

Terra,

I wonder if the near-millimeter might not be that accurate.  If you don't mind spending a few bucks you might buy one to check and return it if it doesn't fit.

Jim

I might just do that. If I do, I’ll post the results.

• JamesMStephens likes this

#21 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

I just thought of another alternative to leaving the original cord factory wrapped. Plug Questar end of the cord into the base of the Q and plug the other end into an extension cord! Problem solved.

• Optics Patent likes this

#22 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

I just thought of another alternative to leaving the original cord factory wrapped. Plug Questar end of the cord into the base of the Q and plug the other end into an extension cord! Problem solved.

Great idea!

Another is for Questar to use a male panel mount AC connector like this so that most any extension cord can be used:
https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/B00004YUKT

I'd lean toward the more standard type we see on the back of HP printers and such.

Ideally for me, a PG-1 with a 9V battery in the base for true cordless operation.  I'd suggest even a PG-0 base model that came without control paddle (and maybe had a potential to upgrade with a Bluetooth or wifi module for motor control with a phone app).

• Terra Nova likes this

#23 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

That panel-mount AC connector takes a 1-7/8" hole and might be too thick to fit the base.

I'd stick with the stock Questar parts.

#24 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

Mini,

Did you paint the base of your Questar blue?

Jim

It's blue electrician's tape, which I put around the base to keep it from getting scratched by whatever it's sitting on.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1370771_edited.jpg

• JamesMStephens likes this

#25 Retired Ipswich

Retired Ipswich

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

On my 220volt AC Questar I replaced the non-telescope end of my cable with a UK plug, paying attention to the polarity.

If you swap the polarity, does it reverse the motor direction?

I was afraid to try it for fear of damaging the motor, but would this be a valid way to change RA rotation direction, to change north/south hemispheres?

Doubt it or the unpolarised connector would give surprising results!

Motor direction is probably set by ‘pole shading’ which cannot be altered without dis-assembly of the motor.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics