•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WO RedCat 51: comments, observations, opinions and suggestions

astrophotography dslr equipment mount optics refractor
  • Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#176 Paulimer

Paulimer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 15 December 2019 - 10:14 AM

Anyone tested the RedCat with a FF camera like the 6d? I wonder how vignetting and field curvature plays out in real life.

You can refer to my images taken with 810A for reference.

get.jpg?insecure

get.jpg?insecure

get.jpg?insecure

• timmbottoni, waso29, GTom and 1 other like this

#177 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

Any thoughts on preferred mounts? I would like to purchase two new mounts for my redcat'ing...

1) a portable mount for traveling (not really sure of any consensus leaders here)

2) a substantive mount for home use that can also support my larger OTAs (leaning towards Skywatcher EQ6-R)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

#178 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

I use this:

RC51-BZ4.jpg

The mount is a compact but very robust alt-az by Sergio Bonilla (he advertises here and on AM), on a Gitzo Series 5 carbon fiber tripod. Stable, not shaky, self-damping when necessary. The same can easily handle my FSQ-106ED alone or the weighty FSQ with another scope. I also have a DM6 on a Berlebach Planet for my Tak Epsilon but that's certainly overkill for a RedCat 51.

Phil

• eros312 likes this

#179 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:37 PM

What do you want the mount for?  Astro? Terrestrial? Photo? Visual?

I do a lot of imaging so I use a Vixen Polarie tracking mount.  The Vixen multi mounting block and polar scope work perfectly with the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer wedge, L-bracket, and counterweight. At a tiny fraction of the cost of Vixen parts. 

WORedCatVixenMount.jpg

This combo tracks well enough for 60" exposures with the RedCat 51.  Works for tracked visual but I carry a ball head too.  I use the Davis & Sanford near home and have Zomei carbon fiber tripod that folds to less than 18" for when it all has to fit in my carry on.

;rob

Any thoughts on preferred mounts? I would like to purchase two new mounts for my redcat'ing...

1) a portable mount for traveling (not really sure of any consensus leaders here)

2) a substantive mount for home use that can also support my larger OTAs (leaning towards Skywatcher EQ6-R)

Edited by RobertPettengill, 22 January 2020 - 09:39 PM.

• eros312 and waso29 like this

#180 outlierrn

outlierrn

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:15 AM

I don't know from consensus, but I just picked up one of these, and it's worth a look. 

https://www.peakdesi...=29420893274156

One of the lightest and most compact real tripods you can find.

P1012924.jpg

P1012925.jpg

I took this with a camera lens almost twice the FL and weight of the Redcat.  Of course, the butterflies look like crap reduced enough for this forum.

P1011933.jpg

I wouldn't try any serious astrophotography with it, but it'd probably handle milky way or moon shots with an Omegon lx2.

Edited by outlierrn, 23 January 2020 - 03:16 AM.

• eros312 likes this

#181 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:33 AM

I don't know from consensus, but I just picked up one of these, and it's worth a look. 

https://www.peakdesi...=29420893274156

One of the lightest and most compact real tripods you can find.

attachicon.gifP1012924.jpg

attachicon.gifP1012925.jpg

I took this with a camera lens almost twice the FL and weight of the Redcat.  Of course, the butterflies look like crap reduced enough for this forum.

attachicon.gifP1011933.jpg

I wouldn't try any serious astrophotography with it, but it'd probably handle milky way or moon shots with an Omegon lx2.

Thanks and great poster on the wall back there, great movie

#182 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

What do you want the mount for?  Astro? Terrestrial? Photo? Visual?

I do a lot of imaging so I use a Vixen Polarie tracking mount.  The Vixen multi mounting block and polar scope work perfectly with the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer wedge, L-bracket, and counterweight. At a tiny fraction of the cost of Vixen parts. 

WORedCatVixenMount.jpg

This combo tracks well enough for 60" exposures with the RedCat 51.  Works for tracked visual but I carry a ball head too.  I use the Davis & Sanford near home and have Zomei carbon fiber tripod that folds to less than 18" for when it all has to fit in my carry on.

;rob

Thanks, I'll use the redcat strictly for AP on the go, will try it out unguided to see how well it does and may move up to a guided solution, so will need a mount that could go guided...

• timmbottoni likes this

#183 digitalmagic

digitalmagic

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

I just got back from daytime testing some eyepieces in my RedCat 51

We tested a Burgess TMB 7mm, an Edmond Scientific 4.7mm and a Svbony 4mm Aspheric

All eyepieces came to focus and provided pleasing views

Then we added a 2x Barlow - a TeleVue I think, not mine - and it would not come to focus at all

Lastly we tried a TeleVue 2.5x Powermate and it came to focus with all of the above eyepieces

We were looking at people in the enclosed observation deck of the Empire State building from 1.25 miles away

With the 4mm in the 2.5x Powermate that is 156x and the image held up although shake from traffic on 6 Ave was very noticeable

I was very surprised at the image from the Svbony 4mm Aspheric

I got it for $13 just to get an indication as to whether it might be worth investing in a better short lens but I don't think I need another at that focal length although it feels like sacriledge putting a $13 eyepiece into a $1K (after shipping and duty) telescope

#184 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:17 PM

Just got a back order notice saying they won’t be shipping until March. So no redcat for me for a while :(

#185 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:08 PM

My Svbony 4mm and 10mm Aspherics are wonderful performers considering how little they cost. My Takahashi 4mm Hi-ortho is better but will not come to focus in my f/15 Brandon 3 inch refractor. The Svbony will, and I don't feel short-changed.

#186 SimonMiller

SimonMiller

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:23 AM

With a few months down the road and now With V2 version (red or silver) how does it work with a FF DSLR? How would it compare to some of their other scopes that have bigger aperture in APO or normal e.g. 61, 71 81 etc.?

• Delta608 likes this

#187 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

With a few months down the road and now With V2 version (red or silver) how does it work with a FF DSLR? How would it compare to some of their other scopes that have bigger aperture in APO or normal e.g. 61, 71 81 etc.?

It works fine with a full frame camera.  There is significant vignetting, but it is correctable with flats or vignetting compensation in your processing if you are using the whole field.  An APS size sensor will have almost no vignetting.

;rob

• Delta608 likes this

#188 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

It works fine with a full frame camera.  There is significant vignetting, but it is correctable with flats or vignetting compensation in your processing if you are using the whole field.  An APS size sensor will have almost no vignetting.

;rob

You have a great website....Thank-you for your hard work and dedication...

#189 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:55 AM

Here is a single frame RedCat image from a light polluted location with levels tweaked to emphasize the vignetting from a Sony a7iii full frame camera: 

RedCatVignette.jpg

Edited by RobertPettengill, 14 February 2020 - 01:56 AM.

• GTom likes this

#190 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:21 AM

Here is a single frame RedCat image from a light polluted location with levels tweaked to emphasize the vignetting from a Sony a7iii full frame camera:

RedCatVignette.jpg

That’s my exact rig too. Dang, disappointing. How’d your m42 turn out?

#191 GraySkies

GraySkies

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:42 AM

I just posted a video review of the RedCat 51 which I've been using for almost 1 year (~10 months)

RedCat51 Thumbnail CNFWEB.jpg

Trifid Widefield SNP 1 to 1 CNFWEB.jpg

Andromeda Stretched SN Edit CNFWEB.jpg

https://www.youtube....is3RN_Du585BNoY

• ghostboo and Editor like this

#192 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

I just posted a video review of the RedCat 51 which I've been using for almost 1 year (~10 months)

RedCat51 Thumbnail CNFWEB.jpg

Trifid Widefield SNP 1 to 1 CNFWEB.jpg

Andromeda Stretched SN Edit CNFWEB.jpg

https://www.youtube....is3RN_Du585BNoY

Enjoyed the review, excellent points about the wildlife aspects. Never understood why they market it that way. It’s a wide field astrograph, and that’s enough.

#193 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:57 PM

That’s my exact rig too. Dang, disappointing. How’d your m42 turn out?

It's about what I expected, the image circle for the Redcat is 44mm, just barely larger than the corner to corner distance of a full frame sensor.  With vignetting correction the corners are useable as long as your main subject isn't in them.  If you want a perfect frame right out of the camera APS-C is the way to go with this and probably any scope with a 2" draw tube.

I'm a planetary imager and still learning DSO processing, so my final results probably don't live up to the potential of the data.  Star shapes are near perfect except in the extreme corners, but even there they are much better than with my vintage Nikkor ED 180 and 300 mm lenses.  Here are some results from my light polluted Bortle 6+ skies.  Note that these were taken under light polluted skies with the moon about 45 deg away, there  is no IR mod on the camera, and I'm using a lightweight Vixen Polarie mount.

FlameAndHorsehead200104.jpg

Pleiades201004Ave 1600s.jpg

• doctordub likes this

#194 HaroldC3

HaroldC3

Vostok 1

• Loc: West Richland, WA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

Anyone looking for a Spacecat, these folks have a couple in stock as of today.  I placed a small order with them recently and it went off without a hitch.

https://milehighastr...space-cat-scope

#195 smez

smez

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:30 AM

I am new to using the WO RC51 and tried to focus in on Orion and was not able to get close using just the scope and my Canon dlsr, what am I missing here? 

#196 RandyD

RandyD

Sputnik

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:27 PM

Just recently bought the SpaceCat 51.    This image was taken last night with my Nikon D5300.    9 x 120 sec. at ISO 800.      Assembled in PI with only STF and DBE.    This seems to be a pretty powerful little scope.....love it!

Randy

Attached Thumbnails

• cropleo_ABE.jpg

• timmbottoni, doctordub, eros312 and 1 other like this

#197 Scott_AstroSweden

Scott_AstroSweden

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:37 AM

Just recently bought the SpaceCat 51.    This image was taken last night with my Nikon D5300.    9 x 120 sec. at ISO 800.      Assembled in PI with only STF and DBE.    This seems to be a pretty powerful little scope.....love it!

Randy

Awesome!!! Just recieved my redcat and hoping for something like this ;) Just diving into PI myself...

#198 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:29 PM

The Mothers’ Day Moon in HDR with the RedCat:

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

• eros312 likes this

#199 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:34 PM

The current issue of Astronomy Technology Today has my review of the RedCat:

https://astronomytec...ume-14-issue-4/

• timmbottoni, eros312, davidparks and 1 other like this

#200 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:03 PM

Perfectly Portable - Live Stack Imaging

Redcat 51 / AZGTi

Redcat 51 / AZGTi

• timmbottoni, eros312, Lead_Weight and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, equipment, mount, optics, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics