•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classics at Stellafane

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:10 AM

Well friends, Stellafane early registration begins tomorrow! I missed my annual dose of legendary Amateur Astronomy and ATMing last year, and how I missed it. So rest assured I am registering this week and will be dragging my classic butt and some classic glass there this year. Hopefully some other Classic Friends will be there too! See you August 1st!

https://stellafane.o...2019/index.html

Attached Thumbnails

• 76627664-1598-49E1-819A-239BF856202A.jpeg

• BarabinoSr, Mike W, George N and 17 others like this

#2 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:41 AM

I sure wish they display some restored Caves this year!

• terraclarke, TOM KIEHL, Augustus and 1 other like this

#3 Mike W

Mike W

Apollo

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:37 PM

I'll be there at Macgregor field with my slightly classic TV102 (might bring the Oracle too?)waytogo.gif 

• terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#4 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:36 AM

I'll be in Sue's Field next to path down to the pavilion. Hope to see you all there!!

If you register for the Thursday Hartness House forum they let you camp over Wed night as well. I was pretty much alone last year! Very peaceful.

#5 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

I'll be there! - I just promised Terra that I would come up for at part of it even if it's rainy, and will stay the weekend if the weather's not horrible.  I'll be camped out at the big oak tree across from the pavillion, near the ampitheatre .....Terra's regular spot.

I'll bring up 3 or 4 scopes, including a classic or two.

Edited by roscoe, 01 May 2019 - 06:54 AM.

• pbealo, terraclarke, rcwolpert and 3 others like this

#6 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:33 AM

Yay! thewave.gif thewave.gif thewave.gif

I’m stoked! yay.gif yay.gif

#7 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

A thought..... a few years ago, several of us met for dinner at a spot in Springfield on Friday evening, that might be an idea to reconsider - a good place to put faces on, and get to know,  several CN members we know only in print.  I don't know what's a good spot in the village lately, but perhaps someone who lives close could look into that? (someplace a little higher-class than Mc-D's would be OK with me.....)

#8 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:25 AM

A thought..... a few years ago, several of us met for dinner at a spot in Springfield on Friday evening, that might be an idea to reconsider - a good place to put faces on, and get to know,  several CN members we know only in print.  I don't know what's a good spot in the village lately, but perhaps someone who lives close could look into that? (someplace a little higher-class than Mc-D's would be OK with me.....)

Yep! Some of our crew like to go there for the prime rib. Let’s do it!

#9 Tom Dugan

Tom Dugan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tidewater Maryland

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

You all make it sound like you have regular camping spots. How can a first-timer pick out a spot without filching someone's favorite spot?

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#10 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

Again it's not in the cards.  With my wife applying for permanent disability, not having worked in a year because of her concussion last year, money is too tight for travel.  So be sure to post lots of pics, those who do go.   Can't cross this off my bucket list yet, darnit.

• Mr Magoo, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#11 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

I'll be there running the spectrohelioscope and the Porter Turret  on Friday and Saturday. Looking forward to see everyone again.

- Dave 

• Mr Magoo, Mike W, roscoe and 5 others like this

#12 Mike W

Mike W

Apollo

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

I'll be there at Macgregor field with my slightly classic TV102 (might bring the Oracle too?)waytogo.gif

I'm registered and I hope those of you who have never attended a Stellafane are able too and if you do make sure you visit Breezy Hill and also look through the Shupman @ the MacGregor Obs! 

Edited by Mike W, 01 May 2019 - 12:48 PM.

#13 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

You all make it sound like you have regular camping spots. How can a first-timer pick out a spot without filching someone's favorite spot?

They're favorite areas, not reserved spots.....  there are a few clubs that have pretty regular spots, but seems that somebody from each gets there when the gate opens to plop a ceremonial cooler in that location, but.....there's lots of space, and if someone was set up where I put my tent last time....I'd just put it up somewhere else..... no big deal.

I've never brought a camper/motor home, so I have no idea what the etiquette down in that area is, but normally, stuff is first come, first served. Informality rules.

• pbealo, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#14 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

Again it's not in the cards.  With my wife applying for permanent disability, not having worked in a year because of her concussion last year, money is too tight for travel.  So be sure to post lots of pics, those who do go.   Can't cross this off my bucket list yet, darnit.

Some year, let's all get together and charter a real tour-bus, so the left-coasters can all come!

• tim53, Vesper818, Chuck Hards and 4 others like this

#15 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

Tom,

By "usual spot", I mean in general area. Sometimes I don't get the exact spot I'd prefer, but that's all OK. Stellafane offers several unique areas to camp: some shaded and protected from sprinkles and wind, others basically open field. It all depends on what you want.  

Back in the 70s and 80s camping was in a totally different AND SMALLER area where if you didn't send in your registration the day you received notification you wouldn't be allowed to camp! Now they have MUCH more space and unfortunately fewer attendees, due I believe to the events rules and wishes. People can now arrive on Sat and find open spaces.

• Tom Dugan and Augustus like this

#16 highfnum

highfnum

Skylab

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

hope to be there

• terraclarke likes this

#17 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

I'll be there! Most likely with my 12.5" Dob, but my Tak and/or my girlfriend's could make an appearance.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#18 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

I haven't been in ages. I helped with clearing one of the new areas almost 30 years ago. My wife and I camped a few years, but the last time we were in an area with some rather loud and hard partiers and she was pretty turned off by it (she was also pregnant). Then we had our son, so we stayed in the Howard Johnston's the next year, but it was a lot of hassle schlepping back and forth, and it wasn't a particularly baby-friendly event back then (as I recall, it was the first year that they were using the new campground for some of the events, and getting between the areas was a challenge), so we didn't go back. My memory is a bit fuzzy now about what we did each year, but one of them was when we got to meet Clyde Tombaugh. 

But I've been thinking about going for a day the last few years. Something seems to keep getting in the way though. Unfortunately, this year her family is holding a reunion in Maryland that weekend. So maybe next year. 

I wonder if it would be possible to organize a classic telescopes display like at NEAF. Maybe set up one of those pop-up pavilion tents? Probably just for a day, and then maybe do some viewing that evening?

Chip W. 

• Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#19 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

Well, Chip, we'd set one up for you, but then you'd have to come! 

Quite a few people do bring up classic scopes, and there is a segment of the judging for restored classics, but a daytime display might be a nice idea!  Under a tent would be nice, too, to keep the sun off stuff, my only concern is that if it's dry, it can be dusty sometimes, it'd want to be some distance from the roadways.

#20 Tom Dugan

Tom Dugan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tidewater Maryland

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:50 PM

Tom,

By "usual spot", I mean in general area. Sometimes I don't get the exact spot I'd prefer, but that's all OK. Stellafane offers several unique areas to camp: some shaded and protected from sprinkles and wind, others basically open field. It all depends on what you want.  

Back in the 70s and 80s camping was in a totally different AND SMALLER area where if you didn't send in your registration the day you received notification you wouldn't be allowed to camp! Now they have MUCH more space and unfortunately fewer attendees, due I believe to the events rules and wishes. People can now arrive on Sat and find open spaces.

Thanks. My impression of camping at Stellafane may in fact have been from reading accounts back in the 70s or 80s.

Maybe I won't have to cram myself into the 2 person dome tent and instead opt for the standing-headroom tent. My back would feel much better after 4(?) nights. I signed up for the Thursday talks, so will be making the 8 hour drive on Wednesday.

#21 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:40 AM

Thanks. My impression of camping at Stellafane may in fact have been from reading accounts back in the 70s or 80s.

Maybe I won't have to cram myself into the 2 person dome tent and instead opt for the standing-headroom tent. My back would feel much better after 4(?) nights. I signed up for the Thursday talks, so will be making the 8 hour drive on Wednesday.

Tom,

I'm a comfortable camper these days. My tent is large with plenty of height to stand. I sleep on a comfortable cot and have a 10X10 dining fly up to sit under. 

#22 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:59 AM

Just a reminder to those of you who are new, or haven't been in years, that Stellafane is historically an amateur scope-makers' convention, not specifically a star party.  The skies aren't dark-dark, and until pretty late, there is still a chance that headlights will sweep the site now and then, but there'll be more ATM scopes there than you probably ever saw in one place, along with an impressive display of commercial equipment. It's the biggest gathering in New England.

Also, it's rain-or-shine, it can be anywhere from hot and humid to pouring rain to downright chilly - be prepared for anything from 40 degrees to 95, and bring sturdy walking shoes, it's definitely outdoors, and spread out into several different areas.

• tim53, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#23 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

Just a reminder to those of you who are new, or haven't been in years, that Stellafane is historically an amateur scope-makers' convention, not specifically a star party.  The skies aren't dark-dark, and until pretty late, there is still a chance that headlights will sweep the site now and then, but there'll be more ATM scopes there than you probably ever saw in one place, along with an impressive display of commercial equipment. It's the biggest gathering in New England.

Also, it's rain-or-shine, it can be anywhere from hot and humid to pouring rain to downright chilly - be prepared for anything from 40 degrees to 95, and bring sturdy walking shoes, it's definitely outdoors, and spread out into several different areas.

But there are shuttle buses between camping area and "Stellafane West" where the pink clubhouse and TM competition is held, at least during the day. AND Stellafane West is kept car-free evenings for people who want darker viewing.

But to Roscoe's point: in the camping are someone will occasionally drive in/out using headlights or more commonly open a car door and turn on interior lights (I am guilty of that a couple times per evening, I just don't plan well enough).

Peter

• roscoe, terraclarke and Augustus like this

#24 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:52 PM

Well, Chip, we'd set one up for you, but then you'd have to come! 

Quite a few people do bring up classic scopes, and there is a segment of the judging for restored classics, but a daytime display might be a nice idea!  Under a tent would be nice, too, to keep the sun off stuff, my only concern is that if it's dry, it can be dusty sometimes, it'd want to be some distance from the roadways.

I think this would be something to discuss with the Springfield ATMs for a future year, to see if they could provide a suitable space. If the display were as big as at NEAF, we'd need at least a couple of those pop-up pavilion tents. While it isn't exactly ATMing, restoring classic scopes has some similar aspects. Many of our classics have interesting stories.

It might also be cool to set up a DPAC table (another ATM-like activity) and offer to let people become disenchanted with their optics, er... check their collimation. (We could also run a classic scope DPAC bake-off.)

Chip W.

• roscoe and Augustus like this

#25 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

I think this would be something to discuss with the Springfield ATMs for a future year, to see if they could provide a suitable space. If the display were as big as at NEAF, we'd need at least a couple of those pop-up pavilion tents. While it isn't exactly ATMing, restoring classic scopes has some similar aspects. Many of our classics have interesting stories.

It might also be cool to set up a DPAC table (another ATM-like activity) and offer to let people become disenchanted with their optics, er... check their collimation. (We could also run a classic scope DPAC bake-off.)

Chip W.

Just pick a spot - and set up! Just don't pick one of the spots "the clubs" have been using for years.

There is plenty of room at 'modern' Stellafane. Up by the Pink Clubhouse would be ideal - However, there is no parking allowed there now, except for drop-off/pick-up of scopes..... and the bus does not run at night, so it's 'walk up' or arrange a car-pool trip. 

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics