•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classics at Stellafane

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#51 Mike W

Mike W

Apollo

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

That's why I always bring my snow shoes!tongue2.gif 

• George N and terraclarke like this

#52 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

It hasn't changed much..... The trees are taller, Burlington has turned into a metropolis,  and the factories along the Connecticut river valley have pretty much all closed down, but, mostly, it's still Vermont, same as it ever was.....

I was stationed at St Albans air force base in the 60's.  I remember there are more cows than people in Vermont and at the time I was there it had the highest suicide rate in the country.  I am sure it went down after I left.smirk.gif

#53 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

Yeah, I'm sure there are more people than cows nowadays.....and a whole lot more skyglow, too.

PS they barely have winter in northern VT any more....most years the lake doesn't even freeze over.

Edited by roscoe, 17 May 2019 - 05:19 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#54 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

Well.

I thought I would fly to Stellafane this year and use some saved up air miles for the airfare.  That works, but the rental cars in Boston are in short supply over that weekend, so prices are ridiculous.  Over $600 in some places.  That's more than the airfare and more than gas would cost if I put 7000 miles on my Prius.

I'm already registered for Stellafane, so I might actually drive if I can't find a solution this week.  I cancelled the airfare, though.

Anybody have any better ideas?  Like maybe I fly into someplace like Philadelphia and rent a car there?

-Tim.

• terraclarke, rcwolpert and Augustus like this

#55 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

So it looks this year like I'll be going by myself again. Probably will have the 12.5" Dob... the CGEM for the C11 consumes way too much power for really even a night of remote observation and I don't know if I just want to bring the Tak. We'll see.

It's gonna be a crazy week for me.... I'm going to see the Rolling Stones on August 5th (the day after Stellafane ends!) and the following weekend I'm flying to Portland for the Alt-Az Workshop.

• rcwolpert and Defenderslideguitar like this

#56 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

Tim,

It a 6 hr drive from Phila to Stellafane. I would look into flying into Albany. It is about  2 to 2 1/2  hrs drive from there. 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 17 June 2019 - 09:16 AM.

• TOM KIEHL and Augustus like this

#57 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:13 AM

Tim,

It a 6 hr drive from Phila to Stellafane. I would look into flying into Albany. It is about  2 to 2 1/2 drive from there. 

- Dave 

Albany would arguably be a better choice than flying into Boston.

#58 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

30 buck by (Greyhound) bus to either Bennington Vermont and then find local transport to Springfield:

https://locations.gr...esultsContainer

And

https://crtransit.org

See also:

https://www.rome2rio...ingfield-VT-USA

And then again, we did lots if this in the good ole’ days! wink.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• A41A0B56-A34B-4A1A-AAC9-AE7749337D86.jpeg

• Mikefp, TOM KIEHL, Augustus and 1 other like this

#59 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:27 AM

Burlington VT is served by multiple major airlines, and is about 2 hours from Springfield by car. 

From Burlington, it is also a nice side trip to Montreal. 

Chip W. 

#60 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:01 AM

Well.

I thought I would fly to Stellafane this year and use some saved up air miles for the airfare.  That works, but the rental cars in Boston are in short supply over that weekend, so prices are ridiculous.  Over $600 in some places.  That's more than the airfare and more than gas would cost if I put 7000 miles on my Prius.

I'm already registered for Stellafane, so I might actually drive if I can't find a solution this week.  I cancelled the airfare, though.

Anybody have any better ideas?  Like maybe I fly into someplace like Philadelphia and rent a car there?

-Tim.

How about flying to either Albany NY (maybe 2 hrs away) or Manchester NH (2+ hrs away). 

#61 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:03 AM

So it looks this year like I'll be going by myself again. Probably will have the 12.5" Dob... the CGEM for the C11 consumes way too much power for really even a night of remote observation and I don't know if I just want to bring the Tak. We'll see.

It's gonna be a crazy week for me.... I'm going to see the Rolling Stones on August 5th (the day after Stellafane ends!) and the following weekend I'm flying to Portland for the Alt-Az Workshop.

What Alt Az conference??

• Augustus likes this

#62 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

As this group knows, I scored Don Yeier's old Vernonscope Co. sign that dates from no later than the 60's. If I hang it from my dining fly what are the chances the Stellafane people will get upset at this supposed commercial display?? I'll also have one or two vintage Vernonscopes with me, but not for sale. 

I think the sign "makes" the exhibit?!?!

Peter B.

• terraclarke, Mikefp, TOM KIEHL and 3 others like this

#63 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

What Alt Az conference??

https://www.cloudyni...p-announcement/

#64 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:55 AM

Everything's expensive in Boston!!

There's sorta no local transport to Springfield - there's likely bus service running up and down the Rte 91 corridor , but....not with a scope....,

I'd also suggest looking into Albany NY, Burlington VT , or Manchester NH - with a preference toward Burlington - it's closest. and the nicest drive.  Driving cross-country?  takes about a week, and half of it is R E A L L Y boring......

We need to bring back the transcontinental railroad!!

• tim53, terraclarke and Augustus like this

#65 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

Everything's expensive in Boston!!

There's sorta no local transport to Springfield - there's likely bus service running up and down the Rte 91 corridor , but....not with a scope....,

I'd also suggest looking into Albany NY, Burlington VT , or Manchester NH - with a preference toward Burlington - it's closest. and the nicest drive.  Driving cross-country?  takes about a week, and half of it is R E A L L Y boring......

We need to bring back the transcontinental railroad!!

I made that drive in my van in 2007 when I was keynote speaker.  Gas cost ~$1200 even back then.  Tim Hogle came along and we went to the Oregon Star Party the following weekend.  Took us 5 days to get to Stellafane, and "only" about 3 1/2 to get to OSP.  Was a crazy drive, though.  I took a couple naps between Michigan upper peninsula and Oregon, but we didn't stop until we were about an hour from Prineville and didn't want to try to drive in during the middle of the night.  Slept like a rock that night.

I used to love driving long distances.  Now?  Not so much, but I would probably do it if I were retired.

I'll look into other airport and rental car options.  Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

-Tim.

• terraclarke, rcwolpert, Augustus and 1 other like this

#66 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

Well.

I thought I would fly to Stellafane this year and use some saved up air miles for the airfare. That works, but the rental cars in Boston are in short supply over that weekend, so prices are ridiculous. Over $600 in some places. That's more than the airfare and more than gas would cost if I put 7000 miles on my Prius.

I'm already registered for Stellafane, so I might actually drive if I can't find a solution this week. I cancelled the airfare, though.

Anybody have any better ideas? Like maybe I fly into someplace like Philadelphia and rent a car there?

-Tim.

Fly to Bradley and drive 2-3 hours up 91N
  • Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#67 WIstargazer

WIstargazer

Lift Off

• Loc: SW Wisconsin

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

Another option would be Hartford CT. 

It's about 140 miles from Springfield, VT

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#68 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:57 PM

So far cheapest flights and cars are out of LAX to Albany.

#69 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

Albany's do-able...only thing is there is no interstate-type highway between Albany and eastern Vermont, so the drive is a little more adventuresome.

Hartford - Bradley airport, as mentioned above, not quite so close, but an easy drive up the highway.

• terraclarke, Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#70 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

I must have gone through Albany in 2007, as I definitely went through Cleveland and Buffalo.

#71 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

I make the trip a couple times of year. From Albany to Troy then  pick up VT 7 in Watervliet  to Bennington VT .In Bennington check out Hemmings Motor's gas station.  Then 7 North to Manchester Center , then 11 East to Springfield. Nice country drive. Really pretty in the fall.

- Dave  

• roscoe, terraclarke, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#72 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

I'm about an hour north of Bradley and use it regularly. It's a bigger airport than Albany or Burlington. May be less time to get to Springfield than from Albany, but more than Burlington. It's just off of I-91, which is at least 2 lanes each direction, with median separation, from there to Springfield. 

If you wanted to take the train, you can get a shuttle from Bradley to an Amtrak station and take the Vermonter north to Claremont NH, where there is an Enterprise rental agency (they can meet you at the station). Although it only runs once a day in each direction, and gets to Claremont around 6PM. I use it a few times a year going south. 

Chip W. 

• terraclarke and Augustus like this

#73 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

Albany's do-able...only thing is there is no interstate-type highway between Albany and eastern Vermont, so the drive is a little more adventuresome.

Hartford - Bradley airport, as mentioned above, not quite so close, but an easy drive up the highway.

It’s a lovely drive tho. We always stay off the interstates completely once we reach Cleveland, all the way to Stellafane. I love driving through upstate NY.

• Mike W and roscoe like this

#74 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

Unless something unexpected comes up,  I also plan to make the trek again this year.

• roscoe likes this

#75 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

Okay, reservations made!  I'll see all y'all at Stellafane this year!  Only my second trip, but I've wanted to go ever since I read ATM books 1 and 2 in the late 60s.

• pbealo and roscoe like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics