•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classics at Stellafane

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#201 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

It was nice to see both you and Peter Bealo win on Saturday night, which was just the start of a banner evening. The talk by Alan Stern was superb. He's an extraordinary speaker and of course the topic is fabulous. It was funny that the ISS passed directly overhead, which he picked up on and cracked a joke about it interrupting the flow of his talk. Then the rest of the night was as good as it gets ... warm, no mosquitoes, no moon, no clouds ... and it seemed that the haze from the Canadian forest fires cleared out. I observed until dew did me in at 3 am. A most memorable night. It was also great to bump into Terra on Friday night, while observing, and to meet Tom Dugan and many others.

And I want to make a special mention of the Herculean effort of Dave Grotsky, Matt Considine and other STM folks who restored, installed, improved and housed the Cook-Hale Spectrohelioscope. It was giving great images of the sun in H-alpha on Friday when I used it and it is a superb learning tool, especially for kids who were introduced to it.

Bart F.

I very much enjoyed the views of Jupiter and Saturn through your Brashear Friday night Bart. It’s a lovely instrument and it puts up equally lovely images!

• pbealo, oldscope, roscoe and 1 other like this

#202 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

As did I !!  It's nice to look through a telescope even older than me!!

and clear proof that the good scopes of the old days were no slouches when it came to putting up a good image.

• oldscope and terraclarke like this

#203 oldscope

oldscope

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: State of perpetual confusion

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

I very much enjoyed the views of Jupiter and Saturn through your Brashear Friday night Bart. It’s a lovely instrument and it puts up equally lovely images!

Saturday night was considerably better, I thought. When we were looking at Juniper and Satan, it seemed ... oddly hazy and I think it might have been the aforementioned smoke or haze from Canadian forest fires. That said, a slightly hazy evening at Stellafane is better than the best days here in Queens!

Bart

• tim53, terraclarke and Augustus like this

#204 oldscope

oldscope

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: State of perpetual confusion

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:46 PM

Meyrowitz at the clubhouse

Is this your telescope, Uni? PM me if that's you.

Bart (I have your Meyrowitz info.)

#205 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

Saturday night was considerably better, I thought. When we were looking at Juniper and Satan, it seemed ... oddly hazy and I think it might have been the aforementioned smoke or haze from Canadian forest fires. That said, a slightly hazy evening at Stellafane is better than the best days here in Queens!

Bart

Saturday night was good indeed. Me, Scott, and Pete concentrated on binocular astronomy. Pete went in around 11PM but I stayed out with Scott until well after midnight when Cindy and I trundled off to our inn in Chester. I believe Scott headed up to the hill. But it seemed that the same high overcast as Friday night was beginning to encroach when we left.

• Augustus likes this

#206 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

and....Saturday night a mere 60 miles south was about 2/10.... haze and high, not-so-thin clouds.

#207 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:46 AM

and....Saturday night a mere 60 miles south was about 2/10.... haze and high, not-so-thin clouds.

cloudy.gif
  • oldscope and roscoe like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics