•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help required with my parallelogram mount

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

Hi all,I've built a parallelogram mount for my celestron badged Vixen 20x80's which I must say are an excellent binocular! the problem I'm having is with the axis where the binocular pivots up and down.

I've used a 6mm bolt with large metal washers inbetween both pieces of oak to secure it to the bars with a spring washer and self locking nut.

I tighten it up so that the weight of the binoculars do not make it slip when tilting the handle assembly but when you move it up and down a few times it becomes loose,what do others use to combat this problem?

Do you have to leave the whole handle assembly to be able to move freely and then balance the binocular using the built in bar to address this problem?

any help and advive would be greatly appreciated! please see attached photographs.

Clear skies.

Ash.

Attached Thumbnails

• vixen 2 copy small.jpg
  • Vixen 1 copy small.jpg

• homerdt, elmiko and Blueox4 like this

#2 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

Can you fit a spring to add tension between the lock knob and the washers?

#3 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:33 PM

Hi, Mrzuiko, you've done a nice job on your p-gram. There are always niggles that come up as you take your new mount through its paces.  You're talking about the bolt that provides the altitude axis right next to the binos?

First I'd look at providing a means to raise the binoculars so that their CG rides right at the altitude pivot axis rather than below as your photo shows.  Your binos will then be balanced at the alt axis and won't need any unnecessary tension on the bolt to prevent them from drooping downward.  Multi-axis balance is your friend.  You need the bino to achieve both the fore/aft horizontal balance provided by the bino's adjustable mounting point as well as an up/down balance relative to the alt axis when they're aimed upward.

Using nylock nuts should prevent tightening/loosening of the bolt while in use.  Perhaps using large plastic washers between wood members could be more effective than metal ones.  Washers made from Teflon or HDPE (#2 plastic like milk cartons) or other slippery plastic could provide a "thrust washer" effect and likely smooth things out, relieving the twisting force on the bolts. 

I can't tell from the photos but providing the binos with a additional azimuth (yaw) axis at their L bracket mounting point will add some flexibility to the amount of sky available from one place without moving.  Adding a hinge at the end of the arms ahead of the bino L bracket so the whole bino/ L bracket assy swings would add even more flexibility and allow easier viewing from a recliner chair.

Rich

• Toups and elmiko like this

#4 Couder

Couder

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:32 PM

Can't tell for sure, but it looks like you used Acorn nuts. Where it comes loose, use a locknut with the Teflon interior, it will not loosen.

• BRCoz and elmiko like this

#5 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

Hi all and thanks for all your help here,I have a ball and socket head but I've have ordered a pan and tilt head so what I'll probably do is fix the handle assembly and use the pan and tilt head to achive the required motion .
I was using this diagram I found online as regards to the postion of the binoculars to achive correct balance.
Kind regards and clear skies!

Ash.

Attached Thumbnails

• ParallelogramNew.jpg

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

Hi all,I've built a parallelogram mount for my celestron badged Vixen 20x80's which I must say are an excellent binocular! the problem I'm having is with the axis where the binocular pivots up and down.

I've used a 6mm bolt with large metal washers inbetween both pieces of oak to secure it to the bars with a spring washer and self locking nut.

I tighten it up so that the weight of the binoculars do not make it slip when tilting the handle assembly but when you move it up and down a few times it becomes loose,what do others use to combat this problem?

Do you have to leave the whole handle assembly to be able to move freely and then balance the binocular using the built in bar to address this problem?

any help and advive would be greatly appreciated! please see attached photographs.

Clear skies.

Ash.

Nice P mount Ash! I made one a couple of years ago. I use plastic washers between the wood pieces as suggested above. I also use those nuts that have the plastic insert in them, the locking type. I used 3/8 in bolts for my pivoting axes.  I will try to post a picture. Mike

• duck2k likes this

#7 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:39 PM

3/8 inch bolts two metal washers  two teflon washers  and a knob to adjust tension. The teflon washers go between the wood pieces. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190502_153712.jpg

• duck2k likes this

#8 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:44 PM

The bino mounts to the L bracket  that nut you see inside the castor is a locking nut. The kind with that plastic insert. I do on occasion have to tighten it up because of moving up and down. But I  use 10  lbs 100 mm binoculars.  Hope this helps. Mike 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190502_153810.jpg

• duck2k likes this

#9 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

Here it is setup. Those plastic knobs are on the back side. I use those for tension. Funny I just made those longer arms, to clear the tripod legs with my Zero gravity chair! I put another coat of polyurethane on them this morning. I am going to assemble it soon. Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190430_082632.jpg

Edited by elmiko, 02 May 2019 - 05:49 PM.

• duck2k likes this

#10 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

This is my counterweight assembly. It slides along the lower arms, and tighten with the knob. It clamps tight. I use 3 5lb metal weights for my 100'S and 1 weight for my 10x50.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190502_162734.jpg

Edited by elmiko, 02 May 2019 - 06:30 PM.

• duck2k likes this

#11 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:17 AM

Here is the side with the tension knobs 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190503_071913.jpg

• duck2k likes this

#12 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:47 AM

Hi Mike thanks fella I'm happy with the way the mount came together....thanks for the info and pictures....you have a great P-mount! I'm gonna try a pan and tilt head and secure the handle assembly so it doesn't move.

Regards Ash.

Edited by Mrzuiko, 04 May 2019 - 03:48 AM.

• elmiko likes this

#13 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

Hi all,a quick update I've now installed a "pan and tilt" head and it works a treat,had first light the other night and the moon was too good to miss.

Amazing views mount steady had to wait a second or two for any vibration to die down,found the crater "Copernicus" and at even 20x I was able to make out the central mountain mass very pleased.

Clear skies all. Ash.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pan mount 1.jpg

• elmiko likes this

#14 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

That's an interesting idea. Looks great . So you get two motions with that? Oh, I see you screwed the swivel function you used to have. To make it more stable.

Nice job, Mike

#15 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:35 AM

Hi Mike it's as stable as I can make it! it does it's job better than I can holding the bino's ! it's functional and I enjoy working with wood.

Now all I need is to get a set of winged rubber eyepiece guards......any recommendations?

Clear skies, Ash.

• elmiko likes this

#16 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

Yes on eyeguards. A thread is going on right now. Bino Bandits.

Myk

Edited by Myk Rian, 18 May 2019 - 04:59 PM.

• elmiko likes this

#17 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

Hi Mike it's as stable as I can make it! it does it's job better than I can holding the bino's ! it's functional and I enjoy working with wood.

Now all I need is to get a set of winged rubber eyepiece guards......any recommendations?

Clear skies, Ash.

Plus one for Bino Bandits

#18 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Clear skies, Ash.

Posted Today, 05:41 PM

Just got mine two weeks ago. Found out about them on one of these bino forums. I had never heard of them.  What a great invention! Paid 15.99  free fromshipping , a company in Las Vegas...goHunt Shop.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
20190518_173843.jpg

Edited by elmiko, 18 May 2019 - 07:50 PM.

#19 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

Here you go  Ash...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190518_173843.jpg

#20 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

Just what the doctor ordered. 1aa7882296c6feb7bcbf84d3dee1e872.jpg

Myk

#21 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

Wow they are very different I bet they work a treat!

I'll have to check them out.

Thanks Mike.

Ash.

• elmiko likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics