•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What Is This?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

Not entirely sure what this is other than an obvious 12v to 110v inverter. There is a video socket that looks to be BNC that is hand labeled "Monitor" and "3.599545mhz". What would that be for?

I tested the 12v to 110v, it's working fine. There is also a hole in the front plate labeled "Variable" that has nothing in it.

If anyone knows what the video socket is for please let me know.

Tom Duncan

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_5351T.jpg
  • DSC_5349T.jpg

#2 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

Most likely a variable frequency drive to run a clock drive mount off of 12V.

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

No its definitely designed as a regular DC to AC drive corrector/inverter. I think the BNC goes to an oscilloscope to measure accuracy or something.

Likely there is an adjustable potentiometer inside the "variable" hole that you can adjust the rate and use the scope to get what you want.

The variable hole may originally had a knob sticking out but now its missing.

Edited by photoracer18, 30 April 2019 - 02:49 PM.

#4 GDAstrola

GDAstrola

Vostok 1

• Loc: St. Louis

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

Looks like the drive corrector that came with my Cave Astrola in late 70's.  Battery cable with clips or cigarette lighter for battery power and AC output for the scope drive. Mine was manufactured by Siderial Electric but did not have the BNC connector.  A potentiometer handbox connected to the audio plug.  I believe Siderial is still around in some fashion.

Hope this helps.

#5 John Rose

John Rose

Explorer 1

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:26 PM

The frequency marked under the BNC connector was the "Color Burst" frequency in the old color TV sets. Needless to say there were millions of crystals made for this service and were very inexpensive. They were quite often used for inexpensive time base generators. In this case as a refernce for generating the 60 Hz AC.  Since it says Monitor it is likely an output to check it is frequency.

John Rose

#6 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

This is indeed a drive corrector. It allowed you to vary the frequency of AC current slightly, speeding up or slowing down a synchro motor. Which allowed you do make guiding corrections during photography.

#7 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:10 PM

That's what I said. You put 12v in you get ac out. You plug the motor into the 110v plug.

#8 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

I think I can see where the monitor output could be used to fine tune the speed. Perhaps it was a drive corrector at some point but there is no rotary switch under the hole marked 'variable', just what looks to be a large capacitor. Perhaps a former owner made the mods, sacrificing the ability to vary the output to get a frequency output. 

Tom 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics