•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone heard of this scope before (Sharpstar 61 EDPH)?

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#251 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:32 AM

Quick go at the Heart and Fish Nebulas with the Altair 1.0x variable flattener on the 61EDPHII with the Altair Hypercam 269c. I need to work on the tilt a bit but it's getting there. Am going to try the TS Optics M63-48 adapter to get rid of the 2in nosepiece connection and perhaps up the BF a bit. This is a 4/3 sensor. This was just 32x180s grabbed between twilight and the British Fog with the IDAS NB2 filter and processed as HOO. Moon was over 85% full so I had to process out some gradients, not necessarily perfectly. 

Attached Thumbnails

• HeartFin1FB.jpg

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#252 emr7

emr7

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:48 AM

Need help attaching QHY Filter wheel and Camera to this scope

Assume need to achieve 55mm? from the back of reducer which is m48?

to the FW which is M54?

Qhy says FW is 20mm and Camera is 17.5mm

Not sure what to do to attach the FW to the scope side?

#253 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:49 PM

Have you had a look around the ts optics adapters to see if you can sort it out? Also bear in mind you can unscrew the rear of the reducer to access the m63 and get a lot more Backfocus to play with.

#254 emr7

emr7

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:59 PM

Yeah with no instructions unclear exactly what is needed, thought camera and filter wheel would have what was needed or instructions but nothing

#255 emr7

emr7

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:59 PM

Yeah with no instructions unclear exactly what is needed, thought camera and filter wheel would have what was needed or instructions but nothing

#256 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:31 PM

What gender is the M54 telescope side connection on the filter wheel?

#257 emr7

emr7

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:55 PM

What gender is the M54 telescope side connection on the filter wheel?

I mistyped it's actually female M42

#258 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:55 AM

You’d need to check the gender with a supplier by the combination of the ZWO 48-42 extender with a 1mm spacer should do it? The ZWO is 16.5mm optical length. Bit surprised QHY don’t make something?

#259 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:15 AM

In fact the genders look ok, so you just need a 1mm spacer;

TS had it as I expected

https://www.teleskop...th-16-5-mm.html

#260 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 December 2020 - 06:11 AM

OK, so I managed to do some more testing on the Altair Variable 1.0 flattener, using an APS-C sensor, and an M63-M48 to attach the flattener to the scope. That adapter made for a much more rigid and straight connection, and at APS-C the tilt (in terms of different behaviour in different corners) seemed to have been mostly mitigated. 

A few other things have emerged from some daytime testing on trees. As before the backfocus proxy, in the form

B = (Flattener setting) + (spacer length including any filter holders etc[mm]) + (camera distance from screw to sensor[mm])

is the key variable. It looks to me that the larger you can make this the better. The limit is set by being able to achieve infinity focus, as the large the value of B the more the focuser is inside the scope at infinity focus, and you run into a limit where the focuser cannot go in any further. I suspect that what is going on here is consistent with the fact that the standard 0.8 reducer is embedded in the scope, and to work best the flattener needs to be as close to the front of the scope as possible to achieve a similarly decent result. So the use of an M63-M48 adapter instead of the 2in clamp helps you push B up. I was around B=142mm which left me a little room to focus easily. 

My test shot is shown below, which is 45 @240s lights with the Altair Hypercam 26c with an APS-C class sensor size and 3.7 micron pixels. There is a minute edge crop to get rid of edge crap (dithering, registration effects etc) only. So nobody can tell anything about star shapes from low res shot like this, so I have linked the astrobin version. People who are interested can make their own judgments as to what size of sensor has good enough star shapes at the edges. With the tilt managed, I think they are pretty much perfect to the corners of a 4/3 sensor (e.g. ASI1600, my 269c) with the screw fitting. I think 16mm type sensors (183,533 etc) are fine with the 2in clamp. APS-C I am happy with, but the stars are just starting to deform. I did this shot with PHD2 in multi-star mode. I haven't got the guiding perfect yet, but did my best to eliminate trails so this is mostly just about the optics. I think it is pushing it a bit hard to use it on full frame, but if you are focusing on a central object and not displaying at a huge size you might be fine, especially with DSLR sized pixels. Bear in mind that if you are matching pixel scale with the astronomy tools calculator, then to get the 2.4 micron pixels that are well matched to this scope then the best one is the 183 class, which is about 16mm and is just fine. If you have the 6200 series sensors then this is probably not good enough. 

My M63-M48 adapter (so the 2in visual back is removed at this part connects the flattener directly to the focuser, once you have unscrewed the 2in nosepiece)

https://www.teleskop...on-Adapter.html

If you live in North America then perhaps this less expensive Stellervue version (I was unable to order it from the web site and got no response to e-mails asking for a quote to send to UK!)

https://www.stellarv...-m63m48f48-003/

Astrobin link for you to see star shapes and judge acceptability for your sensor (this is APS-C):

https://www.astrobin...htxzci/?nc=user

I'd still be really interested to know if someone has a pure flattener from another brand working well, especially if it is one that one can fit inside the focus tube. That WO adjustable part looks like it has potential. I think the Altair does an excellent job of the flattening, but is possibly at or close to the limit of what can be achieved with a generic flattener. The Image is clearly flattened well in that stars are not a noticeable different size at the edges, even to full frame. It's the correction of the shapes that stars to deteriorate around the APS-C size. I don't seem to have much by way of CA problems with either the Altair 1.0 or the Sharpstar 0.8 on this scope. The most I have had to do is a tweak with the sliders in LR, or for the magenta halos the come up with Hubble palette the trick by Shawn at visibledark has done the job (and those seem to appear on my rather larger and much more expensive 107mm refractor). My astrobin has some visible halos if you magnify enough. So for me the limitations are about shapes. So I'll shut up about this now!

Attached Thumbnails

• CaNebSmalljpg.jpg

• gnarayan likes this

#261 gnarayan

gnarayan

Sputnik

• Loc: Champaign, IL

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:19 AM

Been using the 61 EDPH exclusively this past month, because every night has been partial, with clouds rolling in after a few hours, necessitating taking things down in a hurry. My other refractor is an AT115 f/7 and the additional speed and lower setup time for the little Sharpstar means getting somewhat noisy images as opposed to very noisy images, with no guarantee on when the next clear night is.

50721256427_0db339b5bb_b.jpg

50701652541_11d414b012_b.jpg

50696535638_9456132c6c_b.jpg

Edited by gnarayan, 15 December 2020 - 12:21 AM.

• cengell, SilverLitz, UKalwayscloudy and 1 other like this

#262 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 December 2020 - 03:14 AM

Lovely shots. I tried for the rosette last night but it rained in me! British weather.

#263 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 December 2020 - 03:59 PM

I also had a look at the Rosette, with the Altair variable flattener, shooting in Ha and Oiii only with the 4/3 sensor of the Hypercam 269c. 30 at 240s with the IDAS NB2

Attached Thumbnails

• RosNebCN.jpg

#264 RugbyRene

RugbyRene

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2021 - 05:17 PM

I'm about to take possession of my SharpStar 61 edphii and was wondering if anyone has attached a Pegasus Focus Cube 2 to it. I know you can attach the ZWO EAF easily (saw Cuiv do it on his YouTube channel) but would rather use the Pegasus focuser.

Rene

#265 ronstew

ronstew

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:09 PM

The last sentence is my question. But first, a story for people who want to read a story:

A used "TS Optics 61 EDPH II Triplet with 3-Element Photo Corrector" scope appeared on OPT's web site for USD 600 late on Friday. Like new, no original packaging. What I knew about the triplet, I knew from Cuiv the Lazy Geek on YouTube. I walked away from the computer for half an hour, came back, and tried to find the item in a different tab to see if it was still there. It wasn't. As you all know, it is very unusual in Spring 2021 to find a quality, affordable telescope for sale. So, in a panic, I went to the original tab, put it in my cart and bought it. I was surprised that OPT took my money, feeling sure that somebody else had beaten me. But now, on Monday, the scope shows as being shipped, so I guess I really did buy it. Sadly, the original description page has disappeared, and I failed to get a screen shot. But, since the corrector is included, I think I got a good deal.

I'll have to tell the wife tonight. She won't be pleased.

Fortunately, the shipment does not need to pass through the Suez Canal. Unfortunately, it does need to get into Canada. So I hope to have it in my hot little hands mid-April.

I'll be mounting it on my SkyGuider Pro, and using an unmodded APS-C Sony a6100. I think it will be a good serious beginner's setup. It wasn't my original plan, but actually, I think it will be a better introduction than buying an expensive mount for my dad's old 102 mm achromat. (I have managed the Leo Triplet with the 102 and the SkyGuider, but it was not a pleasant experience. And I forgot to take flats.)

I have read through this thread. The questions and answers make me feel comfortable with my panic purchase.

I hope to have images worth sharing with you in 3 weeks. Recommended broadband targets for 49N in April?

Ron

Vancouver, BC

Edited by ronstew, 29 March 2021 - 02:17 PM.

• UKalwayscloudy likes this

#266 Parsonsk

Parsonsk

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2021 - 03:19 PM

Hi All, 

I recently picked up the SharpStar 61 and it's just awesome!!! That being said I'm now looking for a case for the scope and attached finder. 

What case are you guys using for this scope?

thx

#267 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:24 AM

Hi All, 

I recently picked up the SharpStar 61 and it's just awesome!!! That being said I'm now looking for a case for the scope and attached finder. 

What case are you guys using for this scope?

thx

Depending on where you are located, Harbor Freight has the Apache brand cases that work quite well. They occasionally go on sale if you aren't in a rush.

https://www.harborfr...ange-56766.html

#268 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:33 AM

I recently purchased the edphII and finally had a chance to try it out during the day since we've had nothing but overcast skies for quite a while. Seems to be OK but I did notice one thing mechanically and was wondering if they all are like this or if I have bad example.

I got it mounted and it appeared that the carry handle was crooked/tilted, as in not vertical. Thinking it might be an optical illusion thing because of perspective I took the scope to a known flat surface and put a level on it. Sure enough, the top of the carry handle was not parallel to the counter it was on. I delved further into it and it appears that the two "flats" on the clamshell are not actually parallel to each other. Shouldn't impact performance/usage but it does seem odd and was wondering it they are all like this.

Edited by Tom M, 09 July 2021 - 10:34 AM.

#269 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:51 AM

Focusers; SESTO SENSO II works great too out of the box.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics