•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone heard of this scope before (Sharpstar 61 EDPH)?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:25 PM

Well lots of parameters in play off course, and my focussing it not on spot also.

But that counts for my pictures in my F/7 doubletalso and  there it stays pretty much absent.

The 70 mm i bought for daylight bird observing actually so ..i went a bit the other  way ...grin.gif

Still a fine scope, on the moon i can get over 105x still have a tack sharp image....can get even much higher with some slight fuzzynes...

But not the best thing for AP i guess...

#27 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

. 61EDPH even no blue halo under magnification in DSS.

That sounds just greatwaytogo.gif

#28 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:10 AM

Has any one got a clear idea of the differences between the Sharpstar and TS implementations?

Quite a price difference.

#29 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:10 AM

Has any one got a clear idea of the differences between the Sharpstar and TS implementations?

#30 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:21 PM

It will be the same telescope. Remember to check that you're comparing the same accessories with either retailer (reducer included or not, for example). In the UK you might as well buy from 365astronomy - they're a good retailer.

• GlenM and leviathan like this

#31 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:52 AM

It will be the same telescope. Remember to check that you're comparing the same accessories with either retailer (reducer included or not, for example). In the UK you might as well buy from 365astronomy - they're a good retailer.

I can confirm this,

I bought a Sharstar 100 QII from them - good price and fast delivery - outstanding support from Zoltan to help me to choose the right diagonal to come visually into focus since it`s a Quadruplet. To my knowledge the TS is a rebranded Sharpstar - more expensive and not avialable at the moment - may be it`s a different lense design but nobody will tell you really!

Buy from them with confidence!

Cheers  Oliver

#32 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:09 AM

It is the same scope. The major difference is that the TS version comes with the ff/fr already screwed in. The ff/fr alone costs over $200. Any additional cost in Europe should be VAT related.

I made an order for the Sharpstar version but the vendor told me it was out of stock and sent me the TS version without the fr/ff.

So, the scopes are one and the same 100 percent but I don't think TS officially sells it without the fr/ff

#33 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:39 AM

Thanks folks. I was comparing the version with the FF/FR. 365 has it for 604 GBP but TS direct is 849EURO and 830 GBP on Amazon UK. Agree 365 is the place to buy it. I've had good dealings with them on many purchases and they managed to get me a scarce piece of kit recently with amazing efficiency. 

#34 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:26 AM

Even with ff/fr Sharpstar is significantly cheaper than TS. Friend of mine just received his Sharpstar 61EDPH from Ali Express, it even came with TS logo, lol.

• UKalwayscloudy likes this

#35 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:56 AM

Even with ff/fr Sharpstar is significantly cheaper than TS. Friend of mine just received his Sharpstar 61EDPH from Ali Express, it even came with TS logo, lol.

It is the same factory making them for TS and Sharpstar. I guess they ran out of the ones with sharpstar logo. I don't want to say they are selling them through the back door.

#36 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:24 AM

OK - next question. I am trying to get to the bottom of the reducer structure and what parts I will need with it. It comes as standard with an M48 at the camera side, but having pored over diagrams it looks like it can be taken to bits (e.g. to put a filter in it) and that there is an M63 connection between the main optical part and what looks like a simple extender with a filter thread on the way to the M48.

Can someone who has the reducer supply any more detail on that internal connection? From the diagram it looks like the part with the optics in terminate at an M63 male on the camera side, but nowhere are the details written down explicitly. If it has that or indeed a female M63 I can step it up to M68 and link it to my existing 68mm path via a Baader UFC etc as there is a lot more back focus looking available from that internal thread than from the M48 which looks like it only has the standard 55mm for DSLRs. Obviously I will have one in my own hands in a while but it would be good to get the adapters up front!

Ta

#37 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:03 PM

OK - next question. I am trying to get to the bottom of the reducer structure and what parts I will need with it. It comes as standard with an M48 at the camera side, but having pored over diagrams it looks like it can be taken to bits (e.g. to put a filter in it) and that there is an M63 connection between the main optical part and what looks like a simple extender with a filter thread on the way to the M48.

Can someone who has the reducer supply any more detail on that internal connection? From the diagram it looks like the part with the optics in terminate at an M63 male on the camera side, but nowhere are the details written down explicitly. If it has that or indeed a female M63 I can step it up to M68 and link it to my existing 68mm path via a Baader UFC etc as there is a lot more back focus looking available from that internal thread than from the M48 which looks like it only has the standard 55mm for DSLRs. Obviously I will have one in my own hands in a while but it would be good to get the adapters up front!

Ta

You are correct- it has a simple extension you can remove. First photo is the camera end of the extension and is 48mm. Second photo is the reducer with the extension taken off= 63mm. The Last photo shows the extension next to the reducer in my hand. I believe you can remove that brass set screw in the extension piece and take the end off. It looks to have female threads inside.....maybe 48mm or slightly bigger.

Attached Thumbnails

• 31E1F87D-A6E4-414D-9FF1-0268C9C54E6C.jpeg
  • 64A9C65A-0937-44E3-A6B8-B993BE79191B.jpeg
  • 78740F9C-94C9-4FBA-B352-15541F7B68CA.jpeg

Edited by chongo228, 04 April 2020 - 08:47 PM.

#38 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:43 AM

Brilliant thank you!

#39 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

Thanks folks. I was comparing the version with the FF/FR. 365 has it for 604 GBP but TS direct is 849EURO and 830 GBP on Amazon UK. Agree 365 is the place to buy it. I've had good dealings with them on many purchases and they managed to get me a scarce piece of kit recently with amazing efficiency. 

Price for the TS 61 EDPH is not right, i have no idea what happened there. It is even without the adapter to use eyepieces with. I ordered it from 365Astronomy, it made a big difference.

The 76 mm version thogh  i bought from TS,as there it was about the same price.

Both nice scopes, flocked inside, nice good focusser, really nice outfits...

61 EDPH is a double , 76 EDPH a triplet

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 08 April 2020 - 04:07 PM.

#40 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:05 AM

Yeah TS pricing makes no sense. My wife just ordered the raw Scope for me for my birthday from 365. Really looking forward to it. I used the info above to figure out how to connect to my M68 UFC Baader kit. I can use a M63i M68a adapter and then an continuous female M68 to connect to my male M68 link. I’m also going to experiment with the Riccardi reducer and flattener pair I have for another scope to see if I can get flat field at 1.0 and 0.75 as well as 0.8. No idea if that plan will work. Has anybody tried this scoe

(A) with no flattener?
(B) with other flatteners or reducers?

#41 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:03 PM

Would have been easier with the dedicated FF/ reducer but off course the price goes up, those FF are not cheap. I have it on both scopes. I spoiled myself a bit...grin.gif

Maybe you can ask Zoltan from 365Astronomy if will work.

There are so many adapters and spacers on the market...

#42 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:13 PM

Surely not the best picture but look at the wide field the 61 EDPH offers. DSS counted over 5000 stars in each picture when i stacked them. Its M35 , NGC 2158,  and IC 2156 and  57

Can't wait to use it on Cygnus region, NA nebulae and so.

Really a nice little scope

Attached Thumbnails

• M35 (Large).jpg

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 09 April 2020 - 01:18 PM.

• GlenM, eros312 and leviathan like this

#43 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:34 PM

Yeah TS pricing makes no sense. My wife just ordered the raw Scope for me for my birthday from 365. Really looking forward to it. I used the info above to figure out how to connect to my M68 UFC Baader kit. I can use a M63i M68a adapter and then an continuous female M68 to connect to my male M68 link. I’m also going to experiment with the Riccardi reducer and flattener pair I have for another scope to see if I can get flat field at 1.0 and 0.75 as well as 0.8. No idea if that plan will work. Has anybody tried this scoe

(A) with no flattener?
(B) with other flatteners or reducers?

Yes, friend of mine is using it w/o flattener and field is not so great on Canon APS-C size. Stars are sharp and round only in the middle.

#44 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:42 PM

Yes, friend of mine is using it w/o flattener and field is not so great on Canon APS-C size. Stars are sharp and round only in the middle.

Painfull especially then with wide fields.  I don't use one on my F/7 but i guess would i take a picture without FF in the 61 EDPH i guess it would not be so nice...

Ok so i bought both of them with the scope, little bit expensive but no hassle, i don't have enough knowledge about those things either.

#45 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:56 PM

OK - thanks. Sometimes these gadgets are OK to around APS-C without the correction, but clearly not here. I got the adapters to match to my other FF/FR so I can experiment a bit. 

#46 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:27 PM

Field curvature varies directly with focal length (not focal ratio). I can use my 1200mm 150ED without a flattener and stars are somewhat oval shaped at the edge of an APSc chip; by the time you get down to 275mm focal length the effect of curvature is severe without a flattener.

If you can reach focus with the Riccardi reducer it will help correct the field though it probably won't be as good as the Sharpstar reducer.  

#47 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:25 AM

Indeed, frankly i don't have a FF for my F/7 102 mm F=714mm. Actually i don't mind much, ok stars are a little potato shaped at the edges ..but i don't find it obstrusive...

• astrofun likes this

#48 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:02 AM

OK so my adapters arrived and it is easy to step up to M68 and then to my existing Baader UFC setup. Shown in pics, though I haven't sorted out my spacers yet in detail. The back focus from the M63 internal thread on the official flattener (so that's with the removal of the M48 connector with the filter holder) is 110mm according to the diagram on TS-Optics (which I have just found) so there is plenty of room. I'm using a Nikon Z6 so the set 55mm from the back of the M48 is of no real value. Big thank you to chongo228 for confirming on the threads. I'll experiment with the Riccardis later. It would be cool to get the non-reducing flattener to help as then I'd have access to the higher raw focal length. 

Attached Thumbnails

• A - 2-1.jpeg
  • A - 1-1.jpeg
  • A - 3.jpg

#49 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:02 AM

Looks good! Hope it works!

#50 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:04 AM

Sharpstar are updating this model to a Mark 2
That has a triplet lens set up. 365 have indicated that the one I will receive will be the Mark 2 triplet but I’ll know for sure when it arrives. My delivery has been delayed and 365 said that was because they were waiting for new stock.

The new spec is available here:

http://www.sharpstar...n/edph/333.html

There is a button to read in English if It defaults to Chinese.
  • Cometeer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics