•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone heard of this scope before (Sharpstar 61 EDPH)?

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#76 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:09 AM

Leemajors - I didn’t know what to expect at this price point. I was pleasantly surprised by the illumination and can live with those small deformations in the full frame corners. The 24mm square diagonal is obviously about 34mm so there is really no problem with a crop sensor (Nikon DX is 29) let alone 4/3 at 22. I had to pay a lot more for my 107-700 APM which has a raw circle of about 60mm so the corners at 44 at really good in terms of both illumination and shapes.
  • desmc likes this

#77 leemajors

leemajors

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:13 AM

I guess im comparing to the Redcat, as thats my other option but £100 more

#78 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:34 AM

Sure that is the right comparison. We probably need more views on that comparison to get a consensus and I have only been doing astro on a decent mount for a year. I was bothered by the vignetting on the Cat on full frame or more particularly its sensitivity to getting the tilt adjuster right. There’s a thread on here somewhere about it. None of this will matter much on a crop sensor though.

#79 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:54 AM

I wondered if anyone else is trying this scope out (Doublet or Triplet) with pure flatteners in order to use the native 335mm focal length? I got nowhere with both Sharpstar (we only have reducer) and TS-Optics (none of ours will fit ??!!) I've tried three things now, using the focus peaking on my Z6 for some daytime experiments on distant trees. 

1. No flattener - doesn't work except perhaps for a tiny sensor. Focus peaking indicator doesn't get near corners of Nikon DX crop region;

2. Large Riccardi flattener (had it for a bigger 700mm). Slightly better than no flattener - might be OK for something like an ASI533 but only if you've already bought it for some other project;

3. The Altair flat60 designed for their own 60mm scope. I took a punt on this after my e-mail exchange with Riccardi, who reminded me of the fact that the curvature is proportion to 1/FL. So a flattener designed for the 360mm Altair? 

Early days but experiment 3 is looking promising. I tried it with the M63-M54 (and M68, 2in) rotation adapter from TS and it achieved distant focus easily and showed peaking almost to the corners of full frame. There is no vignetting to the eye on full frame either. 

I can only afford one such experiment, so if anyone else has interesting results do share. With a crop sensor and a flattener the full frame equivalent FOV is over 500mm which is a handy alternative. If someone has something working do tell! I'll try it on stars next clear night, but I reckon DX crop (24x16mm) or smaller will probably work. Properly focused round stars are a step up from focus peaking on trees, so we shall see. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3927.jpg

#80 Cainmos

Cainmos

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:02 PM

For the price I am really interested in this vs a WO Zenithstar 61mm. Seems like it is out of stock from suppliers at the moment. Anyone have luck with purchase directly from the factory and price point?

#81 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:26 PM

For the price I am really interested in this vs a WO Zenithstar 61mm. Seems like it is out of stock from suppliers at the moment. Anyone have luck with purchase directly from the factory and price point?

I got mine from aliexpress. It still available there but note that there is a new version now EDPH II, which is a triplet.

Edited by kel123, 26 June 2020 - 04:26 PM.

• Cainmos likes this

#82 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:37 AM

Try emailing

sales@sharpstar-optics.com

They were quick to respond (bearing in mind time difference) on some technical matters. We ordered from 365. It took a while to come as they were switching production to the triplet. 365 are very good based on several past experiences, but either them or direct should ensure you get the Mark 2 triplet. Other channels might still be clearing out the doublet?
  • Cainmos likes this

#83 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:26 AM

Factory direct works fine if you don't have stock at a local dealer. The original doublet at used prices is a good buy too. The newer triplet is probably a fraction better since it should be possible to correct more aberrations farther off axis. 

• UKalwayscloudy and Cainmos like this

#84 Cainmos

Cainmos

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

I got mine from aliexpress. It still available there but note that there is a new version now EDPH II, which is a triplet.

Try emailing

sales@sharpstar-optics.com

They were quick to respond (bearing in mind time difference) on some technical matters. We ordered from 365. It took a while to come as they were switching production to the triplet. 365 are very good based on several past experiences, but either them or direct should ensure you get the Mark 2 triplet. Other channels might still be clearing out the doublet?

Factory direct works fine if you don't have stock at a local dealer. The original doublet at used prices is a good buy too. The newer triplet is probably a fraction better since it should be possible to correct more aberrations farther off axis. 

Thank you all. Definitely would rather the Mark II since it should perform better as a triplet. I will try and get a hold of the factory too. 

#85 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:14 AM

I just ordered the II from Agena Astro today. They just got 6 in, now there are 3 left. Flattener/reducer not in stock yet...

#86 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

I just ordered the II from Agena Astro today. They just got 6 in, now there are 3 left. Flattener/reducer not in stock yet...

According to Sharpstar they are sending them out to Agena today/tomorrow.

• OldManSky likes this

#87 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 July 2020 - 03:56 AM

No luck with the 1.0x Altair flattener in the end. Illumination to full frame corners looked OK in daytime with good focus peaking but on starlight it is clear the CA and spot size grows and varies with colour as you move from the centre so it's poor by APS-C size. Plate solved to about 345mm, slightly more than I expected. Last night was a bit crap as the moon was super bright and all nebulosity was lost with the IDAS NGS I was trying out. Me rotating the camera the wrong way didn't help. Just to be clear I'm not criticising the Altair or the Scope. They just don't work together. So I'll stick to the dedicated 0.8 Sharpstar reducer from now. I don't have any other pure flatteners lying around. I do wonder if the flattener for the Z61 might work so if anyone has it do try it on this scope and let us know.

But the good news is that the bloating of Deneb I had in recent images was more about the filter creating reflections. Deneb's on the right here with a much better spot size despite the CA. 

Attached Thumbnails

• A - 1 (1).jpeg

• Cometeer likes this

#88 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

According to Sharpstar they are sending them out to Agena today/tomorrow.

Thanks!  Agena's page says arrival expected mid-July...maybe by new moon I can try the combo out!

#89 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:51 PM

Thanks!  Agena's page says arrival expected mid-July...maybe by new moon I can try the combo out!

Looking forward to your thoughts on the scope. I’ve also got one on order, although from a different vendor. Fingers crossed it’s here around the new moon. 

#90 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

The 61EDPH II arrived today.  Safe and sound from Agena Astro.

Very nice fit and finish.  Not quite William Optics standard, but very very nice.

Focuser is nice and smooth.  Optics are spotless, everything fits well and looks good.  No obvious cosmetic flaws.

This little triplet is *heavy* for a 61mm scope!  Substantial.  Feels very good.

I will likely wait for the FR/FF to arrive before imaging with it.  But it sure looks nice.  I may toss a diagonal and eyepiece on tonight to see how it is visually.

Attached Thumbnails

• new61_side1.jpg
  • new61_front1.jpg
  • new61_side2.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, GlenM, leviathan and 1 other like this

#91 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:46 PM

They seem to be back in stock as the ZS61 Mark II.

I have never had a problem ordering direct from WO.

Jaimo!

#92 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:07 PM

They seem to be back in stock as the ZS61 Mark II.

I have never had a problem ordering direct from WO.

Jaimo!

The ZS61 Mark II is a doublet while the sharpstar EDPH II is a triplet. So, not quite an equivalent but you may decide you prefer a WO doublet to a triplet from Sharpstar
  • OldManSky likes this

#93 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:02 AM

Agena got the flattener/reducers in, mine shipped yesterday.  I'll post some images next week showing what the "II" version does with a camera :)

• Cometeer and UKalwayscloudy like this

#94 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:51 PM

Received my 0.8x reducer/flattener today from Agena.

I've got the little guy all mounted up and ready for first light tonight.

The GT71 under it will be the guide scope... :)

I'll post some images tomorrow to judge performance of the triplet version and flattener.

Attached Thumbnails

• new61_readyfor1stlight.jpg

• Cometeer and UKalwayscloudy like this

#95 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

I guess it was too much to ask to get a full night of clear skies with a new scope...but the fog did hold off until almost 1am, so I got to test it.

LRGB of the Pelican Nebula, Ha Lum RGB color.  40 minutes each RGB (2-minute subs), 1 hour Ha (6-minute subs).

Looks like I need to move spacing of the camera back a little bit, corners show it's a bit too close.  It's right at 55mm, but that doesn't account for the 2mm filters!

A little bit more blue diffusion than my other triplet (WO GT71), but still pretty tight.  Difference between Green FWHM and Blue FWHM was about 18% (Blue higher).

Overall very nice, tight stars, no diffraction artifacts to speak of, and wow what a nice, wide field with the 183mm-pro camera!

I'll adjust the spacing a bit and give it another go.  But this is a keeper waytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Pelican_61edphrgb1stlight2.jpg

• gonzothegreat and Cometeer like this

#96 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:30 PM

PI analysis of the Ha stack used above for Lum shows I have some tilt.  :(

Attached Thumbnails

• 61edphanalysis.jpg

• Cometeer likes this

#97 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:18 PM

Decided to upgrade from them doublet to the triplet which came in today. As expected it’s a physical match to the previous version except for the side decals and lens cap. Brass knobs on the focuser appear to be a little darker finish on the new version but feel the same. 

I will test the new one soon with my Riccardi reducer to see how it does.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9D82B7E3-316C-451A-81B1-459060BD6303.jpeg
  • 309DEDCC-B1AE-4C79-9BDD-56CC59002F6E.jpeg

• F.Meiresonne and OldManSky like this

#98 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:15 PM

For those with the flattener, what is the minimum length of the scope with the flattener screwed in? (Assuming focuser is racked in all the way and dew shield is not extended.)

Edited by Cometeer, 14 July 2020 - 06:15 PM.

#99 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

For those with the flattener, what is the minimum length of the scope with the flattener screwed in? (Assuming focuser is racked in all the way and dew shield is not extended.)

This is with the flattener/reducer made for the 61, it’s 11.5 inches total. The flattener has a barrel you can take off the glass cell that cuts it down to 9 inches in length.

Attached Thumbnails

• 84D42193-BC9B-4C5D-BBD3-060118896E49.jpeg
  • 109250FA-64CB-4FFE-9CA9-A1A7B2586F2D.jpeg

• OldManSky likes this

#100 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

This is with the flattener/reducer made for the 61, it’s 11.5 inches total. The flattener has a barrel you can take off the glass cell that cuts it down to 9 inches in length.

Have you tested the difference between the images taken with the triplet and doublet ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics