•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone heard of this scope before (Sharpstar 61 EDPH)?

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#101 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:59 PM

This is with the flattener/reducer made for the 61, it’s 11.5 inches total. The flattener has a barrel you can take off the glass cell that cuts it down to 9 inches in length.

Thank you. I was hoping it would be under 12” and it is. I’m still waiting for mine to ship, but I wanted to make sure it would fit in a case I had in mind for it. 

#102 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:27 AM

I decided to go ahead and image a second panel for a 2-frame combination last night, rather than play with tilt or spacing.  Even though I know I need to fine-tune tilt and spacing just a little bit.

Have to say I'm not disappointed.  The wide field and nice sharp triplet optics make for a great combination with my tiny imaging chip (183mm-pro), the same 2-pane view in Ha below with this scope took 3 frames with my GT71.

I'll fine-tune the spacing and tilt later.  For now, I'm having too much fun with this thing! smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 2Pane_HaStack_61edphii.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, leviathan and UKalwayscloudy like this

#103 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

Decided to upgrade from them doublet to the triplet which came in today. As expected it’s a physical match to the previous version except for the side decals and lens cap. Brass knobs on the focuser appear to be a little darker finish on the new version but feel the same. 

I will test the new one soon with my Riccardi reducer to see how it does.

Is there really going to be much difference in optical performance, i wonder.

Can't see any color visually allthough i used it only once on M35, saw no CA there either and stars seems round in the corners...

With the triplet 61EDPH II now on the market i see no reason that the Mark I should stay to exist, as the price seems to be the same..

#104 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:25 AM

Is there really going to be much difference in optical performance, i wonder.

Can't see any color visually allthough i used it only once on M35, saw no CA there either and stars seems round in the corners...

With the triplet 61EDPH II now on the market i see no reason that the Mark I should stay to exist, as the price seems to be the same..

There might not be any difference visually....but pushing it to an F4.2 with the reducer might make a difference when I do AP. The triplet isn't much more than what I paid for the doublet....which I plan to sell soon. 

• OldManSky likes this

#105 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:22 PM

There might not be any difference visually....but pushing it to an F4.2 with the reducer might make a difference when I do AP. The triplet isn't much more than what I paid for the doublet....which I plan to sell soon. 

I was not clear enough. I used it once  with M35 photographicly, , no blue halo on the stars either...or any other sign of CA .

Well the future will tell, once i can use it more . Now we are over here in the 'grey nights' , noastronomical  darkness till August.

#106 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:29 PM

Does anyone have a side by side comparison between images from the doublet and triplet?
Thanks

#107 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:38 PM

I adjusted my optical path length to allow for filters and their varying effect. I did this with the variolock on the Baader UFC gear I’m taking off the M63 half way along the reducer. I’m not clear yet how much that detail matters as I don’t know the tolerance around target Backfocus. Good to hear others pleased with it. I’ll be back on the North America myself when I get back with my gear.

#108 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:26 PM

Color version of the Halpa 2-pane image above, with the Triplet 61EDPHII.  This is HaGB for color with Ha luminance.

DSS had a hard time lining up the blue and green channels with the Ha, so there's just a tiny bit of "off" for those channels (upper-right especially), but overall I'm really happy with this.

The new little scope is a winner! smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 61edphii_firstlight_2pane_small.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, gonzothegreat, leviathan and 1 other like this

#109 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

Couple of test shots taken last night. In a bit of a hurry to shoot between the end of twilight and the return of more clouds. Both on stock Z6 at 275mm with the standard reducer. So rather different pixel scale and FOV to above. Full frame, no crop on the Nebula, light crop on the comet. Both with Baader Neodymium filter (my drive where these were shot is next to a yellow street light). 

NEOWISE: 18x10s at ISO 3200;

North America: 7x120s at ISO 1600. 

Hoping to go to a darker site on Sunday for a proper go at the comet. 

Attached Thumbnails

• NANtoCN.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, gonzothegreat and OldManSky like this

#110 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

And the comet..

Attached Thumbnails

• Autosave-3.jpeg

• F.Meiresonne, gonzothegreat, leviathan and 1 other like this

#111 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

Does anyone have a side by side comparison between images from the doublet and triplet?
Thanks

I guess I will have to answer my own question here for the benefit of those hoping to "upgrade" to the triplet from their already owned doublet. There is simply no need.

I was in contact with someone that tried both the triplet and doublet and he said there were hardly any difference in the images.

Little wonder both models are almost the same price. Adding a glass and calling it a triplet actually makes it more respectable.

The point is that if you order for the scope right now, you will receive the triplet even if you think you ordered for the doublet. But if you already own the doublet, there is no point trying to get the triplet because there is no discernible difference in images at least to the naked eye. However, if for feel-good reasons, then you can dump the doublet and go for the triplet.

Thanks.
  • F.Meiresonne and gonzothegreat like this

#112 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

That makes sense. The spot diagrams looked similar and the reducer is unchanged. I got the triplet version more or less by accident having ordered the doublet.

#113 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

I didn't own the doublet to compare to -- just got the triplet.  But I'm very happy with the one I got.

Adjusted spacing just a bit (back 1mm), and I think the slight tilt I had is now under control.

Here's 30 minutes each RGB from last night...the triplet is an outstanding performer.

Attached Thumbnails

• M31_LRGB1.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, gonzothegreat and milkychris like this

#114 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:02 AM

I didn't own the doublet to compare to -- just got the triplet. But I'm very happy with the one I got.
Adjusted spacing just a bit (back 1mm), and I think the slight tilt I had is now under control.
Here's 30 minutes each RGB from last night...the triplet is an outstanding performer.

Did you use the reducer here?

#115 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:11 AM

Yes.  The Sharpstar "designed for" one.  First night I had the scope I did a quick test without the reducer/flattener -- no bueno.  Significant messed up stars starting at about 70% out from center even with my small 183 imaging chip.

#116 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:13 PM

Yes. The Sharpstar "designed for" one. First night I had the scope I did a quick test without the reducer/flattener -- no bueno. Significant messed up stars starting at about 70% out from center even with my small 183 imaging chip.

I actually don't have the reducer yet. So, depending on the target, I do a lot of cropping.

#117 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:04 PM

At those F rates i would not try without one...

• OldManSky likes this

#118 kel123

kel123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:35 PM

At those F rates i would not try without one...

You are are very correct. The only way to get around it, is to keep away from some targets.

Edited by kel123, 19 July 2020 - 09:44 AM.

#119 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 July 2020 - 04:05 AM

I guess I will have to answer my own question here for the benefit of those hoping to "upgrade" to the triplet from their already owned doublet. There is simply no need.

I was in contact with someone that tried both the triplet and doublet and he said there were hardly any difference in the images.

Little wonder both models are almost the same price. Adding a glass and calling it a triplet actually makes it more respectable.

The point is that if you order for the scope right now, you will receive the triplet even if you think you ordered for the doublet. But if you already own the doublet, there is no point trying to get the triplet because there is no discernible difference in images at least to the naked eye. However, if for feel-good reasons, then you can dump the doublet and go for the triplet.

Thanks.

Thinking the same..upgrading from doublet to triplet in this case is hardly worth it IMO

#120 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

Had another go at NEOWISE with the Mark 2 with the standard FR. This has a slight crop, 8x60s ay ISO800 with my Nikon Z6 stacked in DSS in Comet+star mode. Quite a but of compression here.

Attached Thumbnails

• Autosave003-2.jpeg

• OldManSky likes this

#121 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:43 AM

I didn't own the doublet to compare to -- just got the triplet.  But I'm very happy with the one I got.

How did you adjust the spacing? The FF/FR screws in..did you use a ring of some kind?

I only used mine once on M35 , i did not really 'saw' any issues ...

#122 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:34 AM

I’m taking my imaging train off the M63 thread in the middle of the reducer and going through a Baader Variolock to fine tune spacing. Probably over the top but had the gear for another scope.

#123 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:03 PM

To save others time I just tried the Sharpstar 61 with my small M63 (small versioin) .75 Riccardi reducer and it did not work. The focuser was racked all the way in and I still couldn't reach focus....the reducer would have to be about an inch inside the focuser to reach focus.

I had the Riccardi threaded directly into the focuser of the Sharpstar 61. 

#124 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

How did you adjust the spacing? The FF/FR screws in..did you use a ring of some kind?

I only used mine once on M35 , i did not really 'saw' any issues ...

I bought a set of these a while back:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're very handy for adjusting spacing in very fine increments :)

#125 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

aha, that makes sense,...

Both units i have 61 and 76 can't seen any flaws sofar.

Used the 76 as you know on NA nebulae, seemed ok.

I might noticed in upper right corner maybe a very small distortion..dunno, but it so insignificant , can't complain really.

It might be more taxing with a full frame camera...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics