Celestron 6" Newtonian
Meade DSI Pro
Orion 50mm guide scope
Celestron Omni CG-4
Celestron Dual Axis Motors
Arduino Nano / Stepper Shield as Controller
120 Second Exposures
26 Lights (52 minutes)
fits data download here
Been planing this run once it was announced. The night before I tried my luck at auto guiding with PHD2 and the z-filed Arduino controller I've been building. I took a 5 minute exposure and came out with a nearly round star. I was pleased.
Tonight I started around 6pm reading others' star hop to ngc 4565. I found my own way once in the filed. I aimed a 20mm eyepiece at Melotte 111 and studied my sky charts. I kept going back to my charts and starting over from a clearly recognizable part of Melotte 111. I knew I should be right on it but could not see it. I thought my scope and eyepiece could not resolve it. Then my eye or the sky opened up, because it came to view. I quickly locked up the mount and rushed to get the tracking going.
My telescope has a slide focus and I had to change out a section of the tube to make it shorter, get the DSI on it, and move the sled to the 13th hash marking to get it to near focus. In Envisage I had short 1-4 exposures to get it framed. I used the Magic Eye focus to get it as close as I could. I thought about rotating the DSI to frame it different. I should have. I ended up missing the tip of the galaxy on one side, and I really wanted to try to capture 4565A. Next time!
Started up PHD2 - I had to delete and retrain the calibration for tracking. This made me have to re-frame again. I tried a few 30 second tests. Looked ok. Did a 2 minute shot and was not mad at it. Set envisage to save all uncombined images and let it go at 2 minutes a pop. My goal was an hour. I sat back, listened to music, drink coffee, and used a monocular to get a little visual in. Started my darks the same way in the software as my lights. After 21 I was too cold and wet to continue.
Stacking went quick. I did not load all 30 images and 90% in DSS dropped the count to 26. Took it into photoshop and had to de-interlace for some reason. A few quick hits of the levels and curves for processing. Tony's Astro Actions > Noise Filter. Cropped it square to frame it center. Resized untill it saved at 500k to upload here.
I've been dealing with this thing all day, i'm now tired and will play with data another time. But i'm happy with what I have now.
Edited by Kkiixx, 06 May 2019 - 02:47 AM.