•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Want to Try Film at least once... what do I need to know?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

We still want to know how much difference there is (and what the difference consists of), not merely which one performs better.

• telesonic likes this

#27 GraySkies

GraySkies

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:04 PM

So I looked at Stellarium tonight forward to the start of June... possible three targets :

RedC51:

Blue Horsehead Nebula (IC 4592) & IC4601

North American Nebula (NGC 7000) and Pelican Nebula (IC 5070)

ZS80:

Andromeda Galaxy (M31) with M110 and M32

If I went with the SCT I could go for smaller targets but it will be at f/10 which is pretty slow... and I'm not as familiar with the Northern Summer Sky as I am with the Winter.

Edited by GraySkies, 03 May 2019 - 09:06 PM.

• Michael Covington likes this

#28 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:54 PM

You need a low f-ratio and bright objects.  What is the exact film?  Kodak Ektar?  Ektar has good hydrogen-alpha response; some other color films don't.

#29 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

Amateurs did not photograph galaxies through telescopes until CCDs came along.  I'm not kidding.  Well, a few pioneers with cooled-emulsion cameras did...

#30 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:07 AM

Amateurs did not photograph galaxies through telescopes until CCDs came along.  I'm not kidding.  Well, a few pioneers with cooled-emulsion cameras did...

Ahhh... yes! The cold cam (was that Jack Newton?!) There were a few of us die-hards. Actually grateful when the weather was sub-zero (F!) Then two continuous hours of hand-guiding, then straight to the dark room... and then the hour drive into Rochester. I'd arrive at work at 6am, sitting at my desk, bleary-eyed, gripping a hot cup of coffee, with my frost-bitten fingers, negative in the other fist. Thankfully, my employer was Eastman Kodak --- they understood, encouraged, and even rewarded the obsession.

Here's a later picture, from when EK TP2415 film had arrived on the scene. Galaxies were my favorites... and still are!  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 20 Supernova 1991t jpg.jpg

• Joe F Gafford, Todd N, GraySkies and 1 other like this

#31 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

I wonder if I corresponded with you at Kodak when I was doing some of my early writing... I was certainly in touch with them regularly.

#32 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

I wonder if I corresponded with you at Kodak when I was doing some of my early writing... I was certainly in touch with them regularly.

Hi, Michael; not sure; it's "all a blur"  I was with B&L from 1968-1980+ (some of that overseas for Uncle Sam) then Kodak after that. I was working Government Projects; was not directly involved in film. I do remember admiring the glass emulsion plates, including the 14x14-inchers for the Palomar Schmidts! My understanding is that some (small) % of those would spontaneously rupture/explode in the stressed plate-holders?! There's a LOT of energy stored in a flat plate puckered to a spherical mandrel ! Those chipped windshield commercials remind me of that, to this day. All it takes is one little undetected scratch, crack or chip and BLAMMO!    Tom

• Michael Covington likes this

#33 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:18 PM

Is this the film the OP wants to use?  It has a nice peak at 656 nm, good for hydrogen nebulae.
https://imaging.koda..._portra_400.pdf

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics