•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

'classic' Canon FL 55mm F/1.2 prime - star images?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: -105 +39

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

Hi,   I've got this 35mm film camera lens and wondering if anyone have used it for wide field astro-pics, film or digital? - How are the star images wide open or stopped down a stop or so - is it worth keeping for DSLR astro-use with an adapter?  TIA.    

#2 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Film camera lenses usually do not do well with F/stops less than 4 to 5.6 in a DSLR or CCD camera. Unless this is a "digital ready" lens from the late 1990's on, you still have to stop down from the F/1.2. Experiment. I used my Mamiya RZ medium format 50 and 110 mm F/2.8 lenses on my CCD and my old Olympus OM telephotos on my four thirds E-500 with an adapter. F/5.6 is the widest I can get with these lenses without getting the soft Gauss focus. 

Joe

#3 Todd N

Todd N

Mariner 2

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:57 PM

An adapter may extend an off brand lens beyond the intended back focus and not be able to focus on the night sky. It would work for closer objects like a macro lens but not at infinity.

#4 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:21 PM

An example of using a film lens on a CCD

Joe

• dUbeni likes this

#5 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

Having used Nikon and Canon lenses that were in the F/1.4 and F/1.2 range, I will say that even among those the results are better at F/2 or F/2.8 than wide open. There were many times where I had used them wide open, and the falloff towards the edges didn't matter because I was using them for photojournalism, not astronomical photography.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 25 May 2019 - 09:09 AM.

#6 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: -105 +39

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

Having used Nikon and Canon lenses that were in the F/1.4 and F/1.2 range, I will say that even among those the results are better at F/2 or F/2.8 than wide open. There were many times where I had used them wide open, and the falloff towards the edges didn't matter because I was using them for photojournalism, not astronomical photography.

Taras

Thanks,  yeah,  I used to have a Nikkor 1.4, 50mm and it was terrible for stars looking like huge seagulls wide open, even on film.  I also tried another 50mm f/2 (I think) and wasn't as bad but not 'good'.   I had no experience with the Canon 1.2, but have sold it since no one else seems to have used it for astro and its difficult to adapt even to a Canon DLSR.  Since they are easy to adapt I have tried several of my old Nikkor lenses on my Canon DSLRs and found a couple of them are very good for astro, so have kept them around.  

#7 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:39 PM

I have an japanese 55/1,4 lens. It is quite sharp in the center but has astigmatism at the edges. Of course, I could stop it down. But there is not much sense in it. If I don't want to use f/1.4 I can screw on a Canon 1.8/50 which is way less heavy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics