•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I Think This is Stretching Things Just a Bit...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

I suppose someone will fall for it though... rolleyes.gif

https://www.ebay.com...VQAAOSwaKVcy68D 

• Jon Isaacs, Vondragonnoggin, ianatcn and 2 others like this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

lol.gif

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

Almost nothing in it makes sense, except "binocular" which it appears to be.

Have you read the glowing 5* reviews lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#4 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

“Image Stabilized (by your arms)”

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

Just how someone on EBay can have 99.3% positive reviews and yet so totally misrepresent something is one of the great paradoxes of today's world... 

Jon

• jim kuhns, Astrojensen, Grimnir and 1 other like this

#6 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

10x30x60x60..... one born every minute! ;-)))

Peter
  • Astrojensen likes this

#7 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

In today's world, with all the medicines, extinction of natural predators, etc., natural selection in the first world countries has found it necessary to move to ebay, to try and do it's job by starving idiots to death by luring them into spending all their food money on useless stuff. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Jon Isaacs, jim kuhns, ianatcn and 2 others like this

#8 Taosmath

Taosmath

Viking 1

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

We have a saying here in Taos which has served me well.

'Never attribute to malice, anything adequately explained by incompetence'.  

My bet would be poster knows nothing about binoculars and has put the wrong description with the photographs.

• alpha_centauri, fjnlsa11, dries1 and 1 other like this

#9 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

We have a saying here in Taos which has served me well.

'Never attribute to malice, anything adequately explained by incompetence'.  

My bet would be poster knows nothing about binoculars and has put the wrong description with the photographs.

You have obviously not looked at the photographs in the ad. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#10 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

From a little research, it looks like you too can import 60x60 binoculars at very reasonable prices. ;)

Clear skies, Alan

#11 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:59 PM

You have obviously not looked at the photographs in the ad. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Have you looked at the photogaphs? Can you shed light on what it is that you see in the photographs that is discordant with the title/description as listed by the seller?

The photographs (which clearly show "Canon", "Image Stabilizer" and "60x60" (whatever that is, but is besides the point) on the binoculars) concurs with the ad title "Canon Image Stabilizer 60x60 Binoculars".

What is clearly off is that the product does not jibe with the "about the product" description.  Fun fact - the seller may not have any control over this.  I tried to sell something on ebay a few months ago, and ebay imported the "about this product" info as well as the reviews.  Try as I may I could not undo this.  Finally I gave up and just decided not to list the product.  I  practically never sell, and now rarely buy, on ebay (the last of two sales were over a decade ago).

Obviously its not a Real Canon IS binocular.  As I see it, I dont see an obvious attempt by the seller to dupe the buyer.  I believe he is ignorant of what a true Canon IS binocular is, and is simply stating what he sees on the product. Its ebay's "product cataloging service" that is doing the harm by pulling in the specs of the real deal.

In other words, as Taosmath suspects, its more likely ignorance than malice.

Just my 2 cents.

PS - I am not the seller, nor know him/her or affiliated...

Edited by eklf, 03 May 2019 - 04:38 PM.

#12 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

Have you looked at the photogaphs? Can you shed light on what it is that you see in the photographs that is discordant with the title/description as listed by the seller?

The photographs (which clearly show "Canon", "Image Stabilizer" and "60x60" (whatever that is, but is besides the point) on the binoculars) concurs with the ad title "Canon Image Stabilizer 60x60 Binoculars".

What is clearly off is that the product does not jive with the "about the product" description.  Fun fact - the seller may not have any control over this.  I tried to sell something on ebay a few months ago, and ebay imported the "about this product" info well as the reviews.  Try as I may I could not undo this.  Finally I gave up and just decided not to list the product.  I  practically never sell, and now rarely buy, on ebay (the last of two sales were over a decade ago).

Obviously its not a Real Canon IS binocular.  As I see it, I dont see an obvious attempt by the seller to dupe the buyer.  I believe he is ignorant of a true Canon IS binocular is, and is simply stating what he sees on the product. Its ebay product cataloging service that is doing the harm.

Just my 2 cents.

PS - I am not the seller, nor know him/her or affiliated...

I missed in my first view of the ad that the product was used. I thought it was a new item and that it was a scam. In a way it is, obviously, with the interesting twist that the seller is the first victim of it and now (intentionally or not) trying to pass it on to the next one. 

I was completely unaware that ebay automatically imported product facts and reviews into one's ad. I've not seen this before. I did some research and apparently it does this with products where it can find a close match that is currently sold new. It doesn't do it with antiques and stuff that is out of production, which is probably why I haven't noticed it before and was not aware it existed. It also doesn't seem to be common with farm equipment, tools, and stuff like that, another reason I've not seen it. 

What's interesting is that someone in China obviously thought that the Canon brand name was a good one to use as basis for a scam. I wonder what stats the binocular actually has. 10x50? Also, notice that the field of view is 140m at a distance of 20,000m!!!! grin.gif That's pretty small, even if it's a 60x60...lol.gif

Someone should send a message to Canon, I guess.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#13 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

BTW, it seems to be a fad in Chinese optics these days to give them completely unrealistically retarded specifications, presumably in order to lure in buyers. I've seen small zoom monoculars sold as 7 - 21 x 25 by some and the exact same as 3 - 100 x 30 (or something) by another. Or 75x50 "night vision binoculars"... 

https://www.ebay.com...1wAAOSw37Babg~n

(notice that it says 10 - 30 x 30 in the headline, but 7 - 21 x 25 on the monocular...)

Here it's suddenly a 10 - 300 x 30... 

https://www.aliexpre...sAbTest=ae803_4

Notice that they do get the specs correct if you scroll down a bit, but then why do they put the wrong numbers on the monocular itself? It just doesn't make any sense. It's as if they don't have the faintest clue what numbers such as "10 x 30" means and just put whatever fancy and impressive numbers on them that they can come up with

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Still, it begs the question of misrepresentation .

I am not an eBay member, in part because of too many with high ratings selling stuff like this. 

I hope that someone who is a member of eBay contacts this seller and points out the reality of these binoculars. 

If the binos disappear,  it's a sign that indeed it was ignorance .

The statement by Taos Smith is known as Hanlon's Razor..  

Jon

• alpha_centauri likes this

#15 Taosmath

Taosmath

Viking 1

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

Still, it begs the question of misrepresentation .

I am not an eBay member, in part because of too many with high ratings selling stuff like this. 

I hope that someone who is a member of eBay contacts this seller and points out the reality of these binoculars. 

The statement by Taos Smith is known as Hanlon's Razor..  

Jon

Huh.  Hanlon's Razor - I didn't know that.  Thanks !  Wikipedia has a very indefinite history for it.

I messaged the seller on Ebay telling him that his binos weren't IS and probably weren't even Canon, so that if he wanted to save his rep. he should change his listing.  We'll see what happens.  (It turns out that the only 60x60 binos I could find were all junk jobs on Alibaba, which I bet is the ultimate source of the units this guy is selling)

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#16 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

James Cagney as Rocky Sullivan - “Dont be a sucker!”

#17 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:29 PM

Or maybe try to rectify the misrepresentation by stating - 

"Beware that  these 99cent binoculars are not the same as similar named ones costing more than $1000"

Edited by eklf, 04 May 2019 - 12:31 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#18 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

Lol. Someone just retracted their $3 bid.

Looks like the word is getting around. ubetcha.gif

• Jon Isaacs and Vondragonnoggin like this

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:07 PM

Lol. Someone just retracted their $3 bid.

Looks like the word is getting around. ubetcha.gif

It's the $14 shipping that'll get you. 

Jon

#20 dries1

dries1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northwest Delaware

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:42 PM

I agree with the issue of folks not knowing the product they are selling, I have actually e-mailed them to let them know what they are posting is not accurate. I remember a posting of a Swarovski 12X42 for sale on the bay. I emailed him told him that it was not an original product, at first he was not going for it, then (after some reading some valuable info) realized that the item he found at a golf club was not worth more than 100 bucks, not 1000+ he had hoped for.

Andy W.

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

One hopes the seller is merely ignorant. . 

I once went to look at a Craigslist bicycle.   When I saw it, I could see from 50 feet the frame was bent and buckled.  The fork was bent badly.  It had it hit something hard.  I took to time to point out the damage and why it was unsafe to ride.  The seller listened closely and thanked me for enlightening him

He sounded sincere but I asked a friend to call the ad.

"The bikes in perfect condition,  come over for a test ride ."

Take the high road but verify. 

Jon

#22 David Castillo

David Castillo

Vanguard

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

I just reported it to ebay as a (suspected) fraudulent listing. This is just wrong!

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#23 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

^^^ and without a shadow of doubt counterfeit binoculars too.

• Jon Isaacs and David Castillo like this

#24 David Castillo

David Castillo

Vanguard

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

I'll bet you, if you pulled the lens caps, you would find a bright ruby tinted reflective coating too. Undoubtedly these binos come with endorsements by Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller

#25 Blind as an Eagle

Blind as an Eagle

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:23 AM

Just how someone on EBay can have 99.3% positive reviews and yet so totally misrepresent something is one of the great paradoxes of today's world... 

Jon

Good feedback ratings are 99.8% and above.

Bad feedback ratings are 99.6% and below.

• Astrojensen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics