•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starting over again with bino eyepiece set

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

A pair of 18.2mm Delites are very comfortable. Nikon SW 17.5s are best, or if a GPC is needed, 40mm plossls.

#27 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

I used my new 9mm Morpheus pair in the APM 120 last night. They were very good, I can see why so many people like and recommend the Morpheus. They are certainly very comfortable to use with my 65mm IPD, almost like the Docters and  better than the Delos from my experience. I measured the gap between the Morpheus pair at around 3mm to 4mm more than the gap between Delos eyepieces when they were in the focuser. 

Next question is whether to get more focal lengths. I’ve got 24, 12.5 and 9 covered. I could get the 17.5 and 6.5 Morpheus, but that seems like a lot of pairs when I will still probably use the Docters more than half the time anyway. What’s everyone’s experience with these focal lengths?

Thats another point. I sold the used 6.5 Morpheus I bought because it was the original style. My new Morpheus has the screw in extender that I really like. I used them with the extender in place and the eye cups rolled down. I found that to be the best setup for me.

#28 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:27 PM

Seems like you might consider the 17.5mm Morphs.....highly recommended and my most used eps and would be well placed between your 24mm and 12.5mms.

• SMark likes this

#29 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Bill, the 17.5 seem like a good fit. Do you ever feel the need for something shorter than the 9 Morpheus in your APM 100?

#30 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

Anyone using the 6.5 Morpheus in their APM 100/120 care to comment if they see much use. 

#31 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:44 PM

Thanks Bill, the 17.5 seem like a good fit. Do you ever feel the need for something shorter than the 9 Morpheus in your APM 100?

No.....a smaller exit pupil gets a bit dim for me.

#32 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:57 PM

I kind of feel the same approaching a 1mm exit pupil in the APM’s. I’m not sure if the investment in a pair of 6.5mm will get much use.

#33 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:56 PM

I use the 6.5mm Morpheus pair a lot in my 100mm Lunt.  For me they are even more comfortable than the 9mm, and though a bit dimmer, provide very nice views at 85X.  The 6.5's provide the best views of Jupiter I've ever had.  A couple of weeks ago I was able to see Io's shadow and even the white disc of Io transiting Jupiter, at intervals of exceptional seeing.

I use the 6.5's enough that I wouldn't want to be without them.  I use them more than the 9mm's.

My usage of the three pairs I use most is something like this:

1 Morpheus 17.5 40%

2 Docter 12.5 40%

Morpheus 6.5 20%

Rick

• SMark and Allan Wade like this

#34 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bear River, CO

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:05 PM

I like my 6.5's for doubles and small clusters. Some very good lunar views. But it is my least used Morph.

• Allan Wade likes this

#35 Mirach

Mirach

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:43 AM

Depend on you, the 6.5 mm will give you a little bit more than 100x this will allow you to give a glance on some planetary nebula or globular cluster as weel as some planets if you wish along the night.
I think depend on your set up mainly if you bring along besides the APM a dobson or an other kind of telescope , as many users here already do, u can use bino for large FOV and telescope for details, but if from time to time you wish to go out just with your APM , then the 6.5 mm can be very helpful IMHO
  • Allan Wade likes this

#36 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:29 AM

Cloudy Nights at its best, thanks guys. You made me realise the higher power observing you do with the 6.5 Morpheus is the kind of stuff I would pull out my TOA130 or dob to do. I really like using the 12.5 Docter as it’s a sweet spot I like for magnification and field of view. So I think having the 9 Morpheus for a bit more magnification might be all I need.

• Mr. Bill likes this

#37 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:38 AM

Morpheus' a GO-GO!

DSC04033_副本.jpg

• Allan Wade likes this

#38 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:03 AM

I just finalised my binoscope eyepiece set with the arrival of some foam from My Case Builder. It's nice to have a dedicated case for the set and get them out of my main eyepiece case. 

I'm really liking the Morpheus which are new to me after being recommended here. Thanks guys. They have the same comfortable feel of the Docter, so the two types combine well together in the line up. 

The tough decision was working out focal lengths. I realised that I generally like starting off with the big field of the 24 Pans and when I want higher magnification I like to jump straight to the Docters. They are by far my favourite binoscope eyepiece and I'm always itching to get them in the focuser. This whole upgrade started when I decided I wanted more magnification without having to use barlows with the Docters. So in the end the 9 and 6.5 Morpheus made the most sense to round out the set. I'm not interested in going below a 1mm exit pupil in the binoscopes, so I've got all the options I want covered at both ends now.

1.jpg

• Mad Matt, SMark, Kunama and 2 others like this

#39 ERHAD

ERHAD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Canary Islands, Spain

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:28 AM

If only slightly related, I use a pair of 5 mm 60º Starguiders (same as Paradigm) in my BT100 exclusively for lunar observation. They are by no means premium eyepieces but they are surprisingly good, they are comfortable to use and give a clean sharp image. Even though I don’t like going below 1mm EP, at 110x  they have given me some of the best lunar views I’ve ever had. They have become my default eyepieces for detailed lunar observation: the 5mm in and my Moon Atlas and I can get lost in there for hours... I have considered getting a premium set of 5mm eyepieces, but frankly I am so satisfied with the views I’m getting with the Starguiders that I doubt it would make any sense... 

The rest of the time it’s mostly a pair of 12.5 Morpheus, a nearly perfect combination of magnification, FOV, EP and ease of use for clusters and MW cruising. When a wide field of view is needed in go the UFF APM 18, which a very nice indeed. I am expecting delivery of the UFF 24 pair and that will round up my eyepiece set for the BT100.

Erik.

Edited by ERHAD, 10 October 2019 - 02:36 AM.

• Allan Wade likes this

#40 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

I just finalised my binoscope eyepiece set with the arrival of some foam from My Case Builder. It's nice to have a dedicated case for the set and get them out of my main eyepiece case. 

I'm really liking the Morpheus which are new to me after being recommended here. Thanks guys. They have the same comfortable feel of the Docter, so the two types combine well together in the line up. 

The tough decision was working out focal lengths. I realised that I generally like starting off with the big field of the 24 Pans and when I want higher magnification I like to jump straight to the Docters. They are by far my favourite binoscope eyepiece and I'm always itching to get them in the focuser. This whole upgrade started when I decided I wanted more magnification without having to use barlows with the Docters. So in the end the 9 and 6.5 Morpheus made the most sense to round out the set. I'm not interested in going below a 1mm exit pupil in the binoscopes, so I've got all the options I want covered at both ends now.

attachicon.gif 1.jpg

You have nailed it... that is pretty much the best set up in my opinion. (ok, I have Nagler zooms instead of the 6mm Morphs but rarely use them smile.gif )

#41 old_enough

old_enough

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

A very fine setup, indeed.

I think one would get away with just 3 pairs:
One for maximum field and large exit pupil (EP),
another for the sweet spot (EP 2...2.5mm)
and the last for high magnification (EP ~1mm).

But it does not hurt to have one or two more.

Best,
Sebastian

#42 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

You have nailed it... that is pretty much the best set up in my opinion. (ok, I have Nagler zooms instead of the 6mm Morphs but rarely use them smile.gif )

Thanks Matt, and you were someone who helped me get to my final set.

• Mad Matt likes this

#43 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:36 PM

A very fine setup, indeed.

I think one would get away with just 3 pairs:
One for maximum field and large exit pupil (EP),
another for the sweet spot (EP 2...2.5mm)
and the last for high magnification (EP ~1mm).

But it does not hurt to have one or two more.

Best,
Sebastian

Having spent a couple of years with my APM120 and only two pairs of eyepieces, I felt like I was missing out on eyepiece options while observing. I agree that three pairs could be a minimalist set, with a low, medium and high magnification option. I like that I have the 9 Morph in there as well as there are times when I want a bit more mag than the Docter provides but I still want to keep the view nice and bright.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics