•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Galaxies, Cygnus and Sagittarius with a c11 and night vision

NV
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:49 PM

Fantastic images. A few probably dumb questions from somebody with very little knowledge of NV:

1) You mentioned exposures in your pictures - I was under the impression that NV was a live view - no stacking or long exposures....what am I missing?

2) You seem to be in a nice dark site. I live in a bortle 6 or 7 zone - would NV be worthwhile for me? I can't see anything normally. That I why I have loved EAA. But if I could see anything close to your images, then I might consider digging my money pit a little deeper.

3) Finally, how did you capture those images? Just an iPhone pointed down the eyepiece or do you have a more stable arrangement?

You have really gotten me interested in NV...

These images are not representative of what you see at the scope. At the scope it is more ‘noisy’ especially if you turn up the gain but your brain integrates to an extent. The long exposure at low ISO the Gavster used makes it look a lot less noisy. But that does not mean the view is not impressive... it is.

#27 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:24 AM

These images are not representative of what you see at the scope. At the scope it is more ‘noisy’ especially if you turn up the gain but your brain integrates to an extent. The long exposure at low ISO the Gavster used makes it look a lot less noisy. But that does not mean the view is not impressive... it is.

These images are a good representation of what I actually saw at the eyepiece. I have manual gain which I adjust to effectively reduce the noise. I was at a dark site (sqm 21+) which had good transparency which makes a huge difference and have a top spec gen 3 tube with very high quality narrowband filters which also makes a significant difference to the quality of the actual views at the eyepiece. Finally I have a system that runs at a fast f3 speed which also is a critical factor for the actual live views you see.

Edited by Gavster, 12 May 2019 - 02:18 AM.

#28 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

Fair points and the dark skies could be the diff. 

In my experience with NV from my LP backyard ... if you lower the gain the image becomes a lot dimmer... but these images show bright and almost noiseless images. Hence I was just sharing my experience that for me these images are not representative of NV.

For me NV is primarily an observing aid for light polluted skies. When I go to dark sites I prefer visual.

#29 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:22 PM

Galaxies, whirlpool, needle and black eye all at 6 seconds exposure and 50 iso

crescent nebula taken from sqm 18.5 - 20 seconds exposure

Dude that's awesome man. Awesome.

Edited by Procyon, 19 May 2019 - 03:22 PM.

• Vondragonnoggin likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics