•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rockland Summer Star Party - MASSACHUSETTS

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Who's in? Watchya bringing?

I'm in, I'm bringing - everything!

130mm Superplanetary

Solar scopes

7" Mak/Newt

100mm refractor

I may even bring my Edmund Astroscan! 

Gotta love it! I will be sharing the views. 

• RobTeeter and ShaulaB like this

#2 JIM262

JIM262

Explorer 1

• Loc: West Nyack, NY

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

I would not miss it.  Great time!

https://www.youtube....6&v=TcmGIsiKXb0

#3 JohnPancoast

JohnPancoast

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Haven

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

I plan on being there!

#4 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

Great! I will look for you guys. I haven’t been in a couple of years - looking froward to it!

#5 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

• Loc: Rye, NH

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:39 PM

Never heard of it before - I am still fairly new to New England. Hmm, only 150 miles from Rye, NH.... Can’t say no to that:  I’m in and will bring my new Teeter 10” dob for its inaugural star party.

#6 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

Excellent! It isn’t the Texas Spar Party but it’s pretty great in its own right! 

• WyattDavis likes this

#7 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:55 PM

BTW Wyatt - Rob Teeter attends most years - talk about a shakedown cruise for the new dob! 

• WyattDavis likes this

#8 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

No idea what this is about.

#9 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

No idea about this Star Party? Put on by the Rockland club (NEAF), held in MA for 10 days. 

#10 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

This will be my first New England star party. I have gone to Okie-Tex and the Texas Star Party before. Looks like a nice event!

#11 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:31 AM

No idea what this is about.

Ed, do you think you might come? I would enjoy meeting you. I'm booked for Friday, July 26 through Monday the 29th.

#12 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

I would love to try out some night vision equipment, so if anyone attending is planning on bringing any nv devices, please let me know.

#13 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:33 AM

I will be there! Just a matter of when the good weather hits. I've blocked off the whole stretch of time in my calendar so I can go when the weather cooperates. I can't be there the entire time but certainly a few of the best nights.

Aiming to have my freshly rebuilt 20" F/3.5 there along with another scope or two. This is a great event that I always look forward to. And yes the skies aren't TX dark but I do think they hold their own for us here in the Northeast. 

#14 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Viking 1

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:40 PM

I will be there! Just a matter of when the good weather hits. I've blocked off the whole stretch of time in my calendar so I can go when the weather cooperates. I can't be there the entire time but certainly a few of the best nights.

Aiming to have my freshly rebuilt 20" F/3.5 there along with another scope or two. This is a great event that I always look forward to. And yes the skies aren't TX dark but I do think they hold their own for us here in the Northeast. 

I'm looking forward to finding out! See you there.

#15 JohnPancoast

JohnPancoast

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Haven

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

I signed up for the entire time.  Hope to see some friends there!

#16 JIM262

JIM262

Explorer 1

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

It is getting close, only 6 weeks to go.  A most relaxing time with beautiful night skies.  RAC will be coming out soon with an updated local restaurant guide.  

• stevenwav likes this

#17 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:12 PM

I will surely be there the whole week with the family (Wife and Daughter). Hope for better weather than the last year. But it is always the highlight of our summer. Such wonderful people.

On the fence whether to bring the 15” Teeter. This will be our 4th year going and have brought the big dob every time. But if the weather looks not so hot we will still go and camp. But the scope will be the 120 ED.

TT-96 will only go if there is promise of more good weather than bad.

Don’t want any more of this!

Attached Thumbnails

• DD5D4F02-E9B6-43A5-AF85-DD8C2BD99D79.jpeg

Edited by Daniel Guzas, 28 June 2019 - 10:16 PM.

#18 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

We want THIS!

Attached Thumbnails

• 619E5D3D-D9E0-45A4-AD1A-45FC086B4E65.jpeg

• stevenwav likes this

#19 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

Just came back from the Green Banks Star Quest and am having second thoughts about attending Rockland Summer Star Party.

Two concerns:

1.) It looks like more of a family festival type event from what I can tell. I'm more of quiet solitude type observer. Not sure if it will be too much party and not enough stars for me LOL

2.) Last week, my tent was unlivable after about 10:30 am until about 8pm due to heat. At Green Banks at least  there are air conditioned buildings. Rockland has nothing similar I gather.....it does have a "heated pool" though  :-0

I am hoping someone on this forum may have experience at Rockland and can advise.

#20 JIM262

JIM262

Explorer 1

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:14 PM

Steve,

I have been going to the Rockland Summer Star Party for the past three years and would like to address your two concerns.

1) The majority of the people who attend this star party are very friendly and helpful.  Many are serious observers and not overbearing or loud.  There is a large tent where people meet during the night to take a break from observing or waiting for their exposures to be completed.  They gather around a heater if it is cold and drink coffee and talk about all sorts of astronomy stuff.  Anyone can join in, it is up to the person.  Some people do there own thing which is perfectly fine.  The observing field is large enough to have your own space.  There are plenty of star stuff to see at SSP.

2) The tents also get very warm in the daytime at SSP.  There are some locations where you can camp under the shade of trees.  I generally take a spot in the corner of the field that does have some shade and I also have a canopy that I put half way on my tent which keeps is a little cooler.  The heat on the field during the day is not unbearable and there is a building on site where you can sit and relax/read.  Of course there is the pool.  There are nearby towns where you can explore or get a bite to eat.

So that is my two cents.  I enjoy SSP and plan to be there this year again.

I hope to see you there.

Jim

• semiosteve likes this

#21 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

Steve,

I have been going to the Rockland Summer Star Party for the past three years and would like to address your two concerns.

1) The majority of the people who attend this star party are very friendly and helpful.  Many are serious observers and not overbearing or loud.  There is a large tent where people meet during the night to take a break from observing or waiting for their exposures to be completed.  They gather around a heater if it is cold and drink coffee and talk about all sorts of astronomy stuff.  Anyone can join in, it is up to the person.  Some people do there own thing which is perfectly fine.  The observing field is large enough to have your own space.  There are plenty of star stuff to see at SSP.

2) The tents also get very warm in the daytime at SSP.  There are some locations where you can camp under the shade of trees.  I generally take a spot in the corner of the field that does have some shade and I also have a canopy that I put half way on my tent which keeps is a little cooler.  The heat on the field during the day is not unbearable and there is a building on site where you can sit and relax/read.  Of course there is the pool.  There are nearby towns where you can explore or get a bite to eat.

I hope to see you there.

Jim

Great feedback and much appreciated.

Had visions of Peppermint Park as a amateur astronomy woodstock - and glad to hear it is not the case.

WRT to heat, I figure I will look into some kind of shade rigging for my tent (or even some kind of small AC unit) - and plan to drive around local area during hottest parts of days .

Maybe attend the nearby Herman Melville 200th Birthday bash and tour Lovecraft country.

Hope that hunting clear skies is not like hunting Moby Dick, and that watching for meteors does not land up with Color Out Of Space Annihilation

Best

Steve

• JIM262 likes this

#22 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:24 AM

PS on a more astronomical note, probably bring my Astro-Physics 7" Starfire if weather looks promising or Cave 8" RFT if less so.

#23 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

Bring the Starfire- we can do a Camparo with my AP 180 MakNewt!

#24 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:43 PM

Steve,

I hope to see you there.

Jim

Have to echo what Jim said. I have no experience at any other star parties but this one is no more or less serious than others I have read about. I’d say it’s a bit more relaxed that most, but they do have appropriate have rules and everyone has a great time. And it’s by no means a free for all, its very well planned out and executed! Also I agree your participation can be as social or as isolated as you wish. It’s all up to the person. Some are extroverts walking around and talking to everyone, and some just quietly observe by themselves. Myself I’m in the middle group. Like to chat but most of my time is just quietly observing or sitting back in my chair just taking it all in.

• JohnPancoast likes this

#25 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

OK I count me in...just registered.

Unless the forecast is terrible, I'll bring the Starfire.

Now trying to figure out the camping side of things.

I am just pitching a tent (not an RV), the  Peppermint Park map shows a few small areas in purple for " Water (Tenting) "

These three areas are small, and near the trees, but there are large open fields in between them.

• It's not clear if you can pitch your tent only in the few small areas, or anywhere in the open field?
  • If the open field is available for tents during the SSP, its not clear if you can still use the open field if you come a day early?
  • It's not clear if those in tents will have any access to electricity?

Looking forward to it regardless!

sv

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics