•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for recommendation for Star Atlas

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Queens, New York for now

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

Can someone recommend good, comprehensive, easy to read at night, star atlas I will not outgrow fast?

Im even thinking about printing and laminating one of those free available atlases like TriAtlas, reversing colors first then put it to the binder. It would look like this: 

Attached Thumbnails

• Image3.png

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

You can buy field editions of current atlases. The Sky Atlas 2000 is available in field editions of black on white and white on black from Sky & Telescope magazine's shop. They work very well.

• tcchittyjr and Crusty99 like this

#3 bobhen

bobhen

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

Sky and Telescope's Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas.

HERE is a link.

Bob

• desertstars, Jim Davenport, ianatcn and 4 others like this

#4 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vostok 1

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

TriAtlas is great  but it can be busier than needed in some places.  Consider adding supplemental less busy where needed.  Be sure to test out your lamination with the reverse printing before committing - the relections may get in the way.

I really like interstellarum, but the price has shot up again.

#5 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Bay Area

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

Sky and Telescope's Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas.

HERE is a link.

Bob

+ 1

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 09 May 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#6 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

I know this is probably question for another discussion but .... would you recommend printed/paper version or something what can be use on tablet or laptop. Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas can be bought as .pdf as well

#7 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

Paper. You can then supplement that with Stellarium (free download). I have the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas (both sizes). It is so easy to use the paper version while out with the scope. And I use Stellarium at home. I can then print off pages as needed. 

• Crusty99, Cali and vdog like this

#8 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

For planning purposes I have Carte du Ciel on my computer. ( https://sourceforge....jects/skychart/

At the eyepiece I generally use S&T's Pocket Sky Atlas. I have both the original and "jumbo" editions.

From time to time I print a detailed chart from CdC to supplement the S&T atlas.

#9 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

For doing you daytime planning, white paper charts with colored stars and DSO's are great.  Uranometria 2000, interstellarum, Sky Atlas 2000, PSA are all great.  I prefer paper charts for this as opposed to electronic versions like Stellarium - just my old-school preference there.  Another great resource for daytime planning that I always recommend is the Aladin Lite website (start out with the California Nebula and work your way around Perseus for a real thrill).

For use at the telescope, I'm still going to say an app like Sky Safari 6 Pro can't be beat.  You can run it on a tablet or a phone.  You can easily set your field of view for every telescope/eyepiece combination you have.  You can easily set the field orientation to match your dobsonian, or your refractor, or your finder.  You can create an observing list from your daytime planning and import to the app, then have the app take you on a guided tour.  I think the PSA would be useful in the field though as it can give you a better feel for the sky or a constellation as a whole in case you ever get lost in the details from SS6.

• Jim Davenport likes this

#10 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

Here are a few thoughts.

First of all, I have never outgrown any star atlas. I still use the Bright Star Atlas, the first one I ever bought. I find it helpful to have multiple atlases at different levels of detail for different purposes.

Second, the standard recommendation for a first star atlas is the Pocket Sky Atlas (PSA) or its Jumbo version for people who prefer big print. They hit a very sweet spot in terms of price, portability, and level of detail. But there are many other excellent candidates, including the Bright Star Atlas mentioned above.

Personally, I don't see much point in using an electronic version of the PSA. If you're going to go electronic, why not get the numerous benefits of a planetarium program -- most likely Sky Safari if you use hand-held devices. These advantages include:

• Showing the positions of moving objects such as planets, asteroids, and comets.
  • Showing precisely what's visible from any given spot at any given time.
  • Showing the sky in its "correct" orientation, as opposed to showing celestial north up.
  • Being able to adjust the level of detail at will.
  • Providing extra information about stars and objects by clicking on them.
  • Having much more detail than any print atlas possibly could.

Mind you, despite all those benefits, I still prefer paper atlases in many ways. But I usually use them side-by-side with electronic aids.

Oh yes, and 90% of all experienced users prefer black stars on a white background to white stars on a black background. And if you're going to print it yourself with an ink-jet printer, black-on-white is the only reasonable choice. All the black ink for a white-on-black chart will cause the paper to warp and crinkle, and cost a fortune in ink as well.

Edited by Tony Flanders, 10 May 2019 - 06:20 AM.

• desertstars, CounterWeight, Knasal and 1 other like this

#11 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:47 AM

Can someone recommend good, comprehensive, easy to read at night, star atlas I will not outgrow fast?

The Sky Atlas 2000.0 Desk Edition is nice. You can post your observations and such in pencil and/or color ink. One issue with using a laminated star atlas is possible reflection/glare from the light source. 

#12 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

Im even thinking about printing and laminating one of those free available atlases like TriAtlas, reversing colors first then put it to the binder. It would look like this: 

These days I mostly use Sky Safari Pro with my iPad at the scope, though when I go to my dark site I always bring along a printed atlas or two as a backup, usually the Pocket Sky Atlas and sometimes Uranometria or interstellarum.  I also have the Millennium Star Atlas, which is beautiful but unwieldy so that one I just use indoors.  

#13 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

Definitely would love to have Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe unlaminated as it would complement my telescope better then PSA or JPSA methinks, but Im afraid I am few years too late. Will search Ebay in faint hope to find it used and in good condition but sure as hell ain't paying $300 for it. So what I think is really going to happen is I will end up with Sky and Telescope's Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas, then buff it with drawings of double stars from The Cambridge Double Star Atlas since I have .pdf version of it and then use Stellarium or any of those huge free online atlases like TriAtlas or Deep Sky Hunter as need. That setup should be sufficient on any occasion, Ok guys thank you for all help.

#14 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:23 AM

Definitely would love to have Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe unlaminated as it would complement my telescope better then PSA or JPSA methinks, but Im afraid I am few years too late. Will search Ebay in faint hope to find it used and in good condition but sure as hell ain't paying $300 for it. So what I think is really going to happen is I will end up with Sky and Telescope's Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas, then buff it with drawings of double stars from The Cambridge Double Star Atlas since I have .pdf version of it and then use Stellarium or any of those huge free online atlases like TriAtlas or Deep Sky Hunter as need. That setup should be sufficient on any occasion, Ok guys thank you for all help.

I hate those dang scalpers.  I'm sure there's someone on these forums who would sell you theirs for a much more reasonable price (I'm keeping mine though - sorry).  Why not ask on the classifieds?

#15 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

If only we had another printing of this atlas from Poland

https://agenaastro.c...-sky-brych.html

#16 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

If only we had another printing of this atlas from Poland

https://agenaastro.c...-sky-brych.html

Good luck taking this thing to telescope lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif 
I am relatively new to hobby and that atlas is amazing home resource but in field like to use something more portable

Brent, 
thank you for advise, how could I be so stupid and not to think about it. lol.gif

Edited by grzesznypl, 17 May 2019 - 10:41 AM.

• brentknight likes this

#17 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

https://www.cloudyni...-field-version/

#18 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

Thank you Ray,  but after some testing I agree with other folks that black stars on white background is much easier to read at night then Field version. I do know Deep Sky Hunter very well and its one of my favorite online atlases. I may end up printing that one as a deep sky backup resource since it looks amazing.

#19 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

To me I like all the atlas' and guides and handbooks I've acquired over the years. Pretty sure my last purchase was the Interstellarum atlas which i like a lot. Each has it's strengths.  Maybe most important for a first venture into them is to consider exactly what you want to use it for as well as how you are thinking to use it...  for me, at the scope use I keep a magnifying device handy for all the smaller guides, well I guess the larger books as well.  Important to have some sort of table nearby that you wont trip over in the dark!  I have that t-shirt times ?  Who put that there?!

Have to say one thing I love about the GAOTS is that it is huge!  Dining room table big, makes using difficult but the information really jumps out.  I like the Night Sky Observers guides, though not all like the organization of material, they are a wealth of observing information and in many cases try to indicate what apertures useful and what each might reveal. 

I have and enjoy electronic media as well, love my Sky Tools 3, Stellarium, The Sky6.  When I had a home printer, was interesting print my own charts and then mark up with observing notes.

Agree with Tony, I've never felt any of my paper references became dated and uninteresting.  Over time they all sort of compliment one another.

• Knasal, brentknight and Crusty99 like this

#20 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

To me I like all the atlas' and guides and handbooks I've acquired over the years. Agree with Tony, I've never felt any of my paper references became dated and uninteresting.  Over time they all sort of compliment one another. . . . I've never felt any of my paper references became dated and uninteresting.  Over time they all sort of compliment one another.

I agree.

#21 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vostok 1

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:24 PM

I would love an updated Burnham's Celestial Handbook.  It's been 40 years since the Dover publication.  Some of the info is quite dated and converting from B1950 to J2000 is rather annoying.  It's an especially good companion to the Cambridge Double Star Atlas.

#22 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:40 PM

I would love an updated Burnham's Celestial Handbook.  It's been 40 years since the Dover publication.  Some of the info is quite dated and converting from B1950 to J2000 is rather annoying.  It's an especially good companion to the Cambridge Double Star Atlas.

Annals of the Deep Sky

#23 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vostok 1

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:01 AM

Wow; that is a lot of shelf space.  It would take me all of 2 minutes to see whether I would love that or not.

#24 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

I have written to Sky and Telescope twice past few weeks asking about Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe Unlaminated and Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas. Here is what I found out

FWMedia
Jenne (F+W Customer Service)

May 15, 09:03 MDT

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us! We will no longer be carrying the Sky Atlas 2000.0 Deluxe Unlaminated. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Kind Regards,
Jenne
Customer Service

Obviously and then ...

FWMedia
Suzanne (F+W Customer Service)

May 29, 11:43 MDT

Good morning,

Thank you for contacting us. The current Jumbo Pocket Sky Atlas is out of stock.  We're expecting another, updated edition to come out later this year. Have a great day, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you

Suzanne
F+W Customer Service

Wonder what updates they going to include since I have that book as well

• steve t and pugliano like this

#25 steve t

steve t

Messenger

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:19 PM

Any rumors out there on what the updates to the JPSA will be smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics