•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Budget Binocular to Tripod Adapter that has good construction

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

It was very in-expensive, Just $6.66 with free shipping and it has all metal construction.

https://www.ebay.com...oEAAOSwYvFZLuyI

It also only took about 5 days to arrive, and.It seems to be well made. I'm happy with its design. And so far I could recomend it as a cheap option.

Does anyone else have positive or negative experiances with this particular adapter?

1.JPG

Its replacing a even cheaper one I made a few years back out of a steel metal corner, a bolt, a few washers, and some rubber grommets that kept the bolt from falling out.

2.JPG

It wasn't a pretty option, but it did work pretty well.

• Jon Isaacs and Foss like this

#2 bridgman

bridgman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

That looks like the best one I have seen so far. Before this the best seemed to be a commercial version of your DIY bracket. This one seems to have a shape more like the plastic adapters (which have the right shape to be fairly rigid if the material was not so springy) only made out of metal.

I can't say "ordered" because that seller does not ship to Canada, but it's good to know the product exists. Good find !

• Mbinoc likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:51 PM

Nice!    Tom

• Mbinoc likes this

#4 astrofan007

astrofan007

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:56 AM

Hi, I set up alerts for this Forum and yours was the first I've received.  It's on a similar topic that I'm looking into -- tripod adapter -- but if this is the incorrect thread then please tell me and I will modify as directed.  I'm going to buy an APM SA 100-90.  I've read a few posts about adapters that have been around for a while -- some quite expensive (> 25% of the BT cost).  I'm wondering if anyone has a bead on something new that's a bit more "budget-friendly" and yet is still more than functionally adequate across EP magnifications from 12mm - 24mm?  Initially, I was going to go with the APM single arm but some users have reported that it's much less stable than the far more expensive APM fork mounts. I see that others have used cinema camera mounts but I don't know how those compare to other options.  Someone also recommended a Manfrotto 161MKIIB tripod and so I'm going to get one of those to hold everything up. The Manfrotto is expensive to be sure, but it seems as though the prevailing wisdom is -- when managing to a budget -- to spend more on the tripod than on the mount.  I might be wrong about that and so correct me if that's the case.  Thank you.  James. 

Edited by astrofan007, 10 May 2019 - 08:59 AM.

#5 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:43 AM

It looks very much the same as one sold by Vortex and maybe a few others, but at a lower price, they of course do not make them, like most things they source from the far east, mainly China, D.

Edited by Binojunky, 10 May 2019 - 10:44 AM.

• Mbinoc likes this

#6 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

I got an adapter with a pair of inexpensive binoculars shaped kinda like that in the first image in this thread.  It was kinda like an I-Beam made of plastic, had very poor rigidity to twisting and was unusable.  I filled the open spaces with epoxy which made it quite rigid, likely as solid as most  out there.

• Mbinoc likes this

#7 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:18 PM

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$6.99.  Works ok so far.

• Foss and Mbinoc like this

#8 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mariner 2

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$6.99.  Works ok so far.

That is my favorite so far.  VERY stable and low profile.  I keep a 501PL quick release plate on it and it still fits in all of my cases.  I just had to switch the knob to reverse by taking off and reapplying the C-rings to make it more compact to use without a monopod.  I use two 1/4-20's in the rail to prevent spinning.  It accomodates the Monarch HG 8x42's rather well.  I can't see it being useful for 50mm roofs though.

The OP's type is similar to the eyeskye I tried.  It was all metal, which is nice, but it was too high up to store and the height and thinness induced vibrations that increased settling time to about 2-3 seconds.  It you prefer height, though, it is great.  I passed that along to my niece.

• Mbinoc likes this

#9 Svenry

Svenry

Sputnik

• Loc: Eastern Pennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

I really like the adapter from Barska. It's cheap, but very heavy-duty. I've been using it with my big 10x50s for over 4 years now. No complaints.

Currently $8.74 at B&H as well as Amazon.

• Foss and BFaucett like this

#10 jerobe

jerobe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:44 PM

I really like the adapter from Barska. It's cheap, but very heavy-duty. I've been using it with my big 10x50s for over 4 years now. No complaints.

Currently $8.74 at B&H as well as Amazon.

Thats the one I've used with my 10x50s the last 2 years. Solid. Well built.

• BFaucett likes this

#11 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

Great post Mbinoc and those who added links. Seems like just a few years ago only a handful of companies made adapters and they ran $20-30 minimum. 

#12 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

The Barska tripod adaptor is identical to two I have in house, not sure what they came with but I think one came with a pair of Oberwerks, the other? paid more than that though, good find to the OP, waytogo.gif D.

#13 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

Thats the one I've used with my 10x50s the last 2 years. Solid. Well built.

+1

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics