•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon 10x70 on Ebay

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

I want to try the Nikon 10x70.

Are the ones on EBay the same as the Astroluxe?

Like this
https://www.ebay.com...8IAAOSwVStckMqC

#2 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:36 PM

10x70 SP IF is the one you want for astro use. With the red ring. Like this one

#3 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

Astroluxe had a red painted ring around the objective housings, and multi-coatings on the lenses.  These don't.  Maybe some similar earlier version?

#4 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

This 10x70 SP is used, but the price is better... 

https://www.ebay.com...an/143205208200 

#5 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:35 AM

The fungus in this one makes me cautious, though the first one mentioned by the OP looks older and seemingly has less modern coatings.

I bit the bullet many years ago and bought my Nikon 18x70 new. Never regretted a penny of what I paid for them. An heirloom quality instrument.

Ergo: perhaps consider a new 10x70 if you want that model. Though they have a narrowish 51 degree FOV.

An older model, NLA new, has a much wider field, though dated coatings in comparison with a new 10x70.

In binoculars, I find the quality of the coatings plays a critical role in the final brilliance of the images, even for the same binoculars from the same manufacturers, but from different era's. I would buy the latest version new, for that reason alone. If you get an heirloom, you may as well pay a bit more for the best available image quality IMO.

• paulsky and terraclarke like this

#6 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

The fungus in this one makes me cautious, though the first one mentioned by the OP looks older and seemingly has less modern coatings.

I bit the bullet many years ago and bought my Nikon 18x70 new. Never regretted a penny of what I paid for them. An heirloom quality instrument.

Ergo: perhaps consider a new 10x70 if you want that model. Though they have a narrowish 51 degree FOV.

An older model, NLA new, has a much wider field, though dated coatings in comparison with a new 10x70.

In binoculars, I find the quality of the coatings plays a critical role in the final brilliance of the images, even for the same binoculars from the same manufacturers, but from different era's. I would buy the latest version new, for that reason alone. If you get an heirloom, you may as well pay a bit more for the best available image quality IMO.

If the pictures are showing the problem that the seller is calling "fungus, " then it's not fungus. It's what Cory Suddarth calls "Grunge" and it can be removed with a bit of patience. I had a Kowa 7x35 wide angle that had this same thing, and I used Cory's advise and removed it with acetone and elbow grease. It didn't hurt the coatings at all, and the eye lenses looked excellent after I was done. 

Even with the grunge accumulated near the edges of the eye lenses, it shouldn't affect the performance of the binocular much, if at all. 

• Erik Bakker likes this

#7 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

Ok I ordered it. rockon.gif  Should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Any issues and you will never hear the end of it. 

4.gif

• Erik Bakker, EverlastingSky and SMark like this

#8 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:03 PM

Ok I ordered it. rockon.gif  Should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Any issues and you will never hear the end of it. 

4.gif

fingerscrossed.gif

If you choose to clean the Grunge, I'll be happy to send you the instructions. smile.gif

• Erik Bakker likes this

#9 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:38 AM

Some wonderful new vistas of the heavens are ahead of you once your new bins arrive waytogo.gif

#10 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

On the front plate, what does the TP stand for ? 

Will these offer any improvement over the Fujinon 10x70? 

Early this morning was very transparent. I set up recliner in the eastern shadows of the house blocking the western moon. The 10x70, I could see the effect of 7mm exit pupil. Still, wondrous star fields in Cygnus and Aquila. Switched to the Fuji 10x50. Fainter stars were not as apparent as in the 70mm. The larger , better corrected fov and darker background won the battle of moonlit skies. The transparency was so good, the stars around NGC 6210 in southern Scorpius were bright, clear, and numerous. Usually hidden by haze. 

Attached Thumbnails

• BE71383C-2860-4A2F-87A3-F6044125DCF0.jpeg
  • F9AF9CFF-657F-4360-962F-B970CEAFD8A1.jpeg

#11 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

Will these offer any improvement over the Fujinon 10x70? 

On the front plate, what does the TP stand for ?

I believe you have the older Fuji with the yellow lettering on the prism covers? I have directly compared the Astroluxe 10x70 to that same older Fuji model, and I found that the Nikon outperformed the older Fuji in edge distortion. The Nikon is sharp almost edge-to-edge where the Fuji falls off a bit sooner. The Nikon also provided a blacker starfield background compared to the older Fuji, and the Nikon star images were tighter and more intense. For me it was a big win for the Nikon 10x70.

But then I got a new Fuji FMT 10x70, and it compared on the very same level as the Nikon 10x70 in all those areas. And it actually outperformed the Nikon with regard to eye relief. So I ended up letting go of the Nikon and keeping the new model Fuji, since I prefer to view with my glasses on.

I don't know what the TP stands for, but both my Nikon 10x70 and 18x70 included the same marking.

Edited by SMark, 15 May 2019 - 10:49 PM.

• The Ardent and Grimnir like this

#12 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:54 PM

Well surprise surprise! The Nikons arrived today. Posted pics here:

Nikon 10x70 SP

Daruma Camera packed well and shipped professionally. 

Tonight it's cloudy with only the brightest stars and moon visible. Not conditions for a decent evaluation. The binos are in collimation and no significant aberrations noted. 

Some quick comparisons Nikon vs Fujinon 10x70. 

Smell: Fujinons win. Love that smell, like new car but better. Nikons have no discernible odor. Wonder if it fades over time? 

Field of view : Same.  Used Tarazed and Alshain to measure. Can just fit them at either edge. 

Edge correction: Nikon wins

Face comfort: Nikon wins (smaller eyepieces )

Eyecups: Fujinon wins (soft rubber ).

Nikons are hard plastic snap-on. Replaced with a couple of old Celestron Ultima batwings. 

Faint star visibility: Not enough data, cloudy

Star color: Not enough data, cloudy

Preliminary conclusion: Very nice binos. Astroluxe indeed.  Excited about future nights comparing the two.

• Erik Bakker, EverlastingSky and SMark like this

#13 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 12:46 AM

I want to thank you for providing the eBay link and info. When I searched I was unable to find this particular ad. But I don't buy much off eBay either. 

Can you please provide the info on cleaning the eyepieces? And some good rubber eyeguards? The Ultima batwings are a little loose. These Nikons come with hard plastic eyecups. 

I was was able to use these again last night. There are more sights in Cygnus than I had imagined. 

The best view was Eltanin, Gamma Draconis with its lovely orange hue. I like to soak in the colors. The 7mm exit  pupil works great for that. I also visited the colorful Xi and 63 Cygni. Albireo was split, along with the 'fake' Albireo Apha Vulpeculae. Then the Coathanger to the golden suns of Sagitta. 

Open clusters M39 and 29 in Cygnus stood out well, considering the moonlight. NGC 6781 is a  favorite too, with its large "False Trapezium" at the center. 

Ive been working nine days in a row, I don't feel like setting up a scope, so my interest in reclining with small binoculars. 

• Erik Bakker and SMark like this

#14 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Wonderful news Ray.

Great binoculars under good skies with a reclining  chair are very relaxing.

#15 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted Yesterday, 12:14 PM

I want to thank you for providing the eBay link and info. When I searched I was unable to find this particular ad. But I don't buy much off eBay either. 

Can you please provide the info on cleaning the eyepieces? And some good rubber eyeguards? The Ultima batwings are a little loose. These Nikons come with hard plastic eyecups. 

I was was able to use these again last night. There are more sights in Cygnus than I had imagined. 

The best view was Eltanin, Gamma Draconis with its lovely orange hue. I like to soak in the colors. The 7mm exit  pupil works great for that. I also visited the colorful Xi and 63 Cygni. Albireo was split, along with the 'fake' Albireo Apha Vulpeculae. Then the Coathanger to the golden suns of Sagitta. 

Open clusters M39 and 29 in Cygnus stood out well, considering the moonlight. NGC 6781 is a  favorite too, with its large "False Trapezium" at the center. 

Ive been working nine days in a row, I don't feel like setting up a scope, so my interest in reclining with small binoculars. 

Fantastic! You are very welcome. Because I wear glasses, I passed on the eyecups altogether and simply used a rubber o-ring around the eye lens attached with a circular bead of silicone. That way I could (just barely) see the field stops with my glasses on. Nikon makes soft rubber eyecups for the 10x70 Astroluxe, and I believe they may be the same eyecups that fit the 7x50 Prostar. I will PM you shortly with the cleaning instructions.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics