•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rain...rain...& more rain

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
221 replies to this topic

#201 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

It can now rain for days on end and I don't give a hoot if tomorrow we were to recieve 3 feet of snow! I'm domed!!!

Hint: NEVER offer the Weather Gods that kind of flexibility!

Great looking assembly, Rick! :waytogo:

#202 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

In Memoriam - R.I.P. (1943-2016)

• In Memoriam

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:50 PM

As we Maryland boys say when something GREAT happens.....

" AIN'T THE BEER COLD "

And Today The Beer is cold at Ricks place...and mine too !

So Rick this Bud in my hand is for You.

Bob G.

#203 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

Rick,
Congrats on your observatory. I know it has been a long time in the making. It looks fantastic! Good job! :bow:

#204 MichaelW

MichaelW

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:31 AM

Rick, Sweet! I am glad to see that FINALLY you are on the upside. Good job and great looking observatory!

#205 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

Rick...some brownies, topped with vanilla ice cream, topped with chocolat sauce, add a few ballons and CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done!!! (any resemblance to characters in Iraq is purely coincidental)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1237625-RicksDomeDaySM.jpg

#206 Richard B. Drumm

Richard B. Drumm

Apollo

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:48 AM

Oh happy day! Domed and not doomed! :grin:
Not only that, but it's a really pretty building too! :drool:
You've got much to be proud of, guy, enjoy your new observatory.

For those of you new to all this, Rick is the guy who got the ball rolling for ALL of us on the ExploraDome! He's the one who contacted the manufacturer of the calf domes and got him interested in making observatory domes. Then a number of us Cloudy Nights guys & gals joined together HERE on CN to do the design work. Our input was taken into consideration by PolyDome and the next thing we know ***boing*** we're looking at fine observatories popping up all over the place.
Rich :jump:

#207 StarManSteve

StarManSteve

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

Rick, Congrats! :jump:
Looks outstanding all decked out with its new hat
You were working on that long before I came here to Cloudy Nights. You've earned some well deserved viewing & relaxation.

Steve

#208 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:42 PM

Coolerific! :yay:

Makes me grin almost as much as if it were my own. :grin:

Now we'll be looking forward to a couple more picures... one at twilight, with a red glow coming from inside, and a picture taken from inside, looking out the slit... maybe with Orion visible or something. ;)

#209 Rick Needham

Rick Needham

Vendor (ExploraDome)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

Hey...thanks everybody for the comments. Yes, I'm a happy camper finally. I still need to install some red rope lights for that night time shot though :whistle: It's time to get to work on some finishing touches! Here's one picture I took from inside the observatory the day it was domed. The lower shutter door fully opened, while the larger sliding shutter door is approx. 2/3 fully opened. The slot opening is 29" wide :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1244739-Pic. 296.jpg

#210 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:51 PM

Great result Rick - that Exploradome reminds me of my old 10ft ply dome with slideover shutter and hinge forwards section - great setup! Enjoy your astronomy;-)

#211 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:43 PM

Congratulations Rick...thanks for sticking to this thread and sharing the construction of your observatory with us...truely awesome looking through the rain and mud and blue tarps. I love my roll-off but domes look like "real" observatories, like refractors look like "real" telescopes to the non-observing folk. Hats off to Exploradome for a wonderful product...I remember the first chats re this about calf huts...something I can relate as we use several of their water tanks at work. Way to go!!!

#212 Rick Needham

Rick Needham

Vendor (ExploraDome)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

It is with much sorrow...that due to changes in my life...my recent divorce, and having to place my home up for sale on the open market, that I will entertain offers for the purchase of my Explora-Dome. Not one of the first ones out, I believe mine was a second generation dome, with improvements made to the sliding shutter door. It's white and non-blackened on the inside. Used only a handful of times, it's pretty much sat dormant and deserves an new owner...one that will show her more use than I've been able to provide her. I will not ship. This will have to be a local sale, with the purchaser to pick up the dome and haul it away using their own transportation. It will include all roller wheels and the dome retaining ring. I believe the roof transition panels would be useless to the buyer, since I removed portions of them during the installation of the dome, but you are more than welcome to them if you'd like them.

Send me a message through this forum if interested, along with your best offer. Thank you.

#213 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

In Memoriam - R.I.P. (1943-2016)

• In Memoriam

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:57 AM

Not the type of news I was hoping to hear from you Rick,... BUT at least You are alive and still kick'en...

I mentioned you about a week ago asking if anyone knew how you were...

Anyhow sorry to see you are taking offers for the ED...sorry you are not using it much...yada yada..

BUT let me personally thank you for ALL your efforts to get the ED off the ground...and on the Market...

Mine has been a pure pleasure to use and I owe you a lot ...

Bob G

#214 SometimesKen

SometimesKen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

Hey Partner-
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just remember there's many, many ED owners that owe you a ton of thanks!

You are "da Pappa"!!

Thanks for being my friend!!
Peace out
Ken

#215 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

DANG!
If I could afford the extra cash, Rick, I'd buy it and store it till you were in better shape. I'm sorry to hear things are going so-so.
You've got my contact info if there is anything I can do that does not involve a lot of money, if you know what I mean....

Steve

#216 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

Good luck Rick on the sale, and you what they say... What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. You'll be back at it before you know it! Take care Rick.

#217 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

PM about purchase sent!

Wish me Luck!(don't say nothin to Marge!)

#218 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Folks, any further discussion of buying/selling please take it off the forum, via PM; as this is not allowed on the regular forums.

Thanks Everyone!

#219 rodney

rodney

Vendor - Explora Dome

• Vendors

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:17 PM

Folks, any further discussion of buying/selling please take it off the forum, via PM; as this is not allowed on the regular forums.

Thanks Everyone!

Carol,
Sorry to bother you. Is there some violation of the Terms here? I see a person that unfortunately has to give up something he cherishes and offered it up for sale. There is no pricing involved and the only person that replied with any offer did that via a private message per the request of the poster. Is that a violation of the Terms of Service?

Thanks for your time and explanation,

#220 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

Yes, I'm sorry, but it does violate the TOS, offering something for sale on the regular forums;

'For Sale' posts should be placed only in Shop & Swap or the Vendors forum, whichever is appropriate for you.

While, I'm very sorry about the circumstances, I have to uphold the terms of the TOS.

#221 Rick Needham

Rick Needham

Vendor (ExploraDome)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:39 PM

Thanks Everyone!

Thank you Carol. I didn't want to start a commotion. I do apologize. Hoping to keep everything off the board via PM. I think that will work just fine for everyone. :bow:

Rick

PS- I do wish to say thanks to everyone for the kind remarks that were posted. Amazing isn't it, how a very good thing has grown roots and now finds itself popping up all around the this great country and the world? I think it is ;)

#222 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:46 PM

Thanks Rick, for understanding, and the very best of luck to you!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics