•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mysterious picture in the ASTRO Tokyo catalog 1968

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NRW, Germany

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:35 AM

Hello friends ( also special our dear GALAKUMA ),

in the past I have looked at this picture in the 1968 ASTRO catalog again and again.....it has a strange kind of miracle for me:

1. see the missing counterweight shaft and weight of the prominent pictured model R102 ( 108/1600 mm refractor )

2. most of these telescope were so adjusted that it seems, these people want to observe an terestical object ?

3. some parts of the picture seems to be retouched (?)

4. why these people met on such a bad terrain for installing a telescope ? Looks like a little hill....

5. is this perhaps a kind of "showroom photo"; means: was this photo only taken to show the productline of the ASTRO company ???

I can not understand japanese, there is a legend under the picture. Maybe one can read it ?

kind regards, Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• Astro68miraclebig.jpg

Edited by AaronM, 11 May 2019 - 09:38 AM.

• memento, *skyguy*, steve t and 2 others like this

#2 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

I’ve seen that picture before and always thought it curious. Maybe the guy setting up the big one just didn’t get the counterweight attached before the photog said cheese and snapped the pic? Getting ready for an eclipse maybe?

• AaronM, memento, steve t and 3 others like this

#3 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:02 AM

I agree. These people gathered to watch a particular unusual cosmic event like an eclipse or a planetary transit. Easy to find out if you know when pic was taken.

• AaronM and terraclarke like this

#4 Boom

Boom

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

They were setting up for the Moon Saturn occultation event which occurred on December 10, 1967.

http://fas.kaicho.ne...t9710/o_sat.htm  This page makes mention of the event, which was visible to the entire nation of Japan.

Edited by Boom, 11 May 2019 - 10:17 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, memento, *skyguy* and 2 others like this

#5 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

They were setting up for the Moon Saturn occultation event on December 10, 1967.

Well that’s sort of an eclipse! I was part right. lol.gif
  • Boom and jcruse64 like this

#6 Boom

Boom

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

Well that’s sort of an eclipse! I was part right. lol.gif

Indeed!  Especially when the event is literally written as 土星食 i.e. "Saturn Eclipse" , in Japanese.

• Jon Isaacs, terraclarke and BFaucett like this

#7 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:21 AM

A total solar eclipse happened on July 20th, 1963 visible from Japan. 

• terraclarke likes this

#8 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:21 AM

Wow, that was a fast respond ! Thank you Boom !!!bow.gif bow.gif

My warmest regards, Michael

• Boom likes this

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

A total solar eclipse happened on July 20th, 1963 visible from Japan. 

I initially thought ‘solar eclipse’ but I looked high and low for solar projection screens, and aperture stops. I know over the front solar filters were few and far between back then. What if they were all risking their eyesight with those awful little screw-in eyepiece solar filters! :cool: gramps.gif slap.gif

Edited by terraclarke, 11 May 2019 - 10:33 AM.

• Piggyback likes this

#10 scngc7317

scngc7317

Ranger 4

• Loc: CA

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

He forgot his counterweights that's why he is the only one without a sunshade, to reduce front end weight, and pointing up to get in balance. bow.gif

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:06 AM

Indeed!  Especially when the event is literally written as 土星食 i.e. "Saturn Eclipse" , in Japanese.

:goodjob:

You should have kept us in the dark.. a magician never reveals his secrets.  :)

Jon

• Don Taylor likes this

#12 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

Maybe 2 years later, in the 1970 Astro catalog we see this picture...the same area ?

1. picture original scan

2. picture with higher contrast

looks like a painting....

Kind regards, Michael Aaron

Attached Thumbnails

• SAMEHILL.jpg
  • SAMEHILLKONTRAST.jpg

• steve t, terraclarke, Piggyback and 1 other like this

#13 Boom

Boom

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

Same prefecture, but different location.

The 1967 photo was taken just north of Asaka city, while the 1970 photo was taken in the outskirts of Tokorozawa city.  Both cities are part of the Saitama prefecture, just northwest of Tokyo.

The folks in the 1970 photo are observing / imaging Comet Bennet.  On the same catalog page you saw the 1970 photo, you will find two photos of the comet.

Edited by Boom, 11 May 2019 - 02:30 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and terraclarke like this

#14 Boom

Boom

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

goodjob.gif

You should have kept us in the dark.. a magician never reveals his secrets.  smile.gif

Jon

I could have, but it's not like I can make any money doing so.  lol.gif

#15 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

I don't know, but to me the photo looks to be a "montage" of a number of photographs.

Look at the dew shield of the telescope closest to the camera. It is cut off exactly against the pier of the 108mm telescope without a counterweight. The front edge of the shield should have a slight curve to match the back of the shied but does not.

It also seems amazing that the observers were able to get their pier mounted telescopes so perfectly vertical on the undulating, brush covered ground. Because the feet of the piers are fixed, they would have had to shim the heck out of them- or shovel the ground beneath absolutely flat. Not impossible, I guess, but a little unlikely.

Look how small the observer to the lower right of the pier of the largest telescope appears. The observer behind him must be ten feet tall, at least!

And why is the image of the largest telescope so blurry? Could it be because it is the same model telescope as the 108mm without the counterweight, just blown up in size? Yes, I think so. Compare the details...

This is a wonderful picture and I am not trying to take any of the fun out of it. I am just a little bored this morning.

Steve

• memento, steve t and Kasmos like this

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

Same prefecture, but different location.

The 1967 photo was taken just north of Asaka city, while the 1970 photo was taken in the outskirts of Tokorozawa city.  Both cities are part of the Saitama prefecture, just northwest of Tokyo.

The folks in the 1970 photo are observing / imaging Comet Bennet.  On the same catalog page you saw the 1970 photo, you will find two photos of the comet.

:goodjob:

These images Michael has posted along with your story, it's such a different world than what I know. It's just so different with it's own special magic. 

The sense of community, a group effort on this small patch of land.. 

Jon

• steve t and mcolbert like this

#17 Boom

Boom

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

I don't know, but to me the photo looks to be a "montage" of a number of photographs.

Look at the dew shield of the telescope closest to the camera. It is cut off exactly against the pier of the 108mm telescope without a counterweight. The front edge of the shield should have a slight curve to match the back of the shied but does not.

It also seems amazing that the observers were able to get their pier mounted telescopes so perfectly vertical on the undulating, brush covered ground. Because the feet of the piers are fixed, they would have had to shim the heck out of them- or shovel the ground beneath absolutely flat. Not impossible, I guess, but a little unlikely.

Look how small the observer to the lower right of the pier of the largest telescope appears. The observer behind him must be ten feet tall, at least!

And why is the image of the largest telescope so blurry? Could it be because it is the same model telescope as the 108mm without the counterweight, just blown up in size? Yes, I think so. Compare the details...

This is a wonderful picture and I am not trying to take any of the fun out of it. I am just a little bored this morning.

Steve

You're absolutely correct.  These photos are all doctored in some way to form photomontages.

Edited by Boom, 11 May 2019 - 02:53 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#18 Boom

Boom

Messenger

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:12 PM

Collage.

Darn, that was the word I was looking for! I knew montage wasn't the correct word, which is why I put it in quotes.

Thanks, boom!

LOL I wasn't absolutely sure so I said "I think".  Looks like you were correct - again.  Collages apply to something like a painting, but what we see in this thread are photomontages.  

That said, I don't feel that it diminish the historical value of the photos in anyway, either.

Edited by Boom, 11 May 2019 - 03:35 PM.

#19 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:19 PM

When you think of all the effort that went into the assumed fake assembly of telescopes and observers, the old image is a masterpiece of deception. I can find nothing wrong with this truly atmospheric composition of an undoubtedly exciting astronomical event. Using modern day Photoshop the outcome would have been boring to look at in all its fake perfection and we wouldn't even talk about it.

• AaronM and memento like this

#20 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

Stefan-

I,too, love the atmospheric composition of this old photo. To me it is almost dreamlike and otherworldly.

Boom-

Yeah, I knew the term montage was correct. That's why I put it in quotes! LOL

Edited by Steve Allison, 11 May 2019 - 05:14 PM.

• memento and Piggyback like this

#21 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

You're absolutely correct.  These photos are all doctored in some way to form photomontages.

Great historic images if you forget about the fact they're photo montages/composites: I like the reflector on the left of the 2nd image heeled right over, appearing almost as if it is looking at the viewer with its enormous pier base floating above the grass!

Whatever event(s) those in the first image were out there for, it's obvious there was no consensus on where it was happening or perhaps even what it was they were all "out there" for - 3 of the gentlemen in the foreground of that first pikky have expressions on their faces as if to say "don't ask me! I haven't a clue what we're all doing here." rofl2.gif

<"He forgot his counterweights that's why he is the only one without a sunshade, to reduce front end weight, and pointing up to get in balance.">

Sorry but I disagree: from my study there's actually no one attending that big scope...I suspect he only realised after setting up the rest of the assembly that they & the counterweight shaft were missing & raced home to get them..! grin.gif

• steve t likes this

#22 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:19 PM

It comes off like a Woodstock for telescopes.  I'd love a tee-shirt with that first print on it.  

• memento, steve t and terraclarke like this

#23 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:46 PM

It comes off like a Woodstock for telescopes.  I'd love a tee-shirt with that first print on it.  

You were there right?

I thought that was you, leaned over backwards at the big scope..

You deserve a T-shirt...  :)

Jon

• Chuck Hards likes this

#24 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:35 AM

Still some cool looking equipment. cool.gif

#25 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

Beside all the mentioned miracles - I still love these vintage catalog photos !!! There is such a special aura in these scenes, nearly romantic !!!flowerred.gif

kind regards, Michael Aaron

• memento, steve t and terraclarke like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics