•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar 50th anniversary model star chart flat

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:48 AM

Hello Questar experts,

I have been on the lookout for a flat star chart from Questar as a piece of art that I could frame and hang in my home office. I even contacted Questar once to ask about buying one, but didn't get very far in that process. I can't remember now if it wasn't available, or just cost prohibitive. I also like the older "mystic purple" charts if possible.

Here is a Company 7 page discussing this - http://www.company7....starcharts.html

While perusing ebay yesterday someone had a purple one listed that they indicate came with their 50th anniversary Q as an accessory. I made them an offer which was accepted. Going out Monday, so should hopefully have by the end of the week. Plan on having it framed like the Company 7 example.

Is anyone aware of this flat star chart as an accessory that came with the 50th anniversary edition? I haven't seen it sold as such for the few models listed here and on Astromart...

I'll post pics when it arrives.

Thanks!

Steve

Edited by sgorton99, 12 May 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#2 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

In the article mentioned, it just states that the star chart is "provided on" the optical tube barrel. As far as I know, the "flat" version was never offered to the public. They are just showing it - before they roll it into a cylinder. I really don't know how the flat-sheet version gets into the public's hands. It would be nice if Questar offered the sheet version for sale to collectors/owners.  Enjoy your flat star chart!

• sgorton99 likes this

#3 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

I have heard of these being offered as low-cost souvenirs by Questar over the years.  Not sure if it was an unusable production run or just a special extra run.

I bought mine (including the moon map) on Ebay in recent years.

I've never heard of these being offered as an extra with the 50th model.  I'm dubious on that connection.  I looked hurriedly to see if maybe this was marked specially for the 50th, which would be a very special rarity.

• sgorton99 likes this

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:02 AM

When Questar discontinued their purple star charts the unrolled stock was disposed of to anyone who wanted them. Many became framed wall hangings.

PS. https://groups.yahoo.../messages/26182

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 12 May 2019 - 01:44 PM.

• sgorton99 likes this

#5 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.

I'm surmising that while the flat was received with the Questar 50th, it is not specific or unique to the anniversary model. Questar either just threw it in with the scope as they had some still around, or the buyer purchased as part of the package with his Q. I sent him an email asking if he recalls. I also zoomed in on the pics and do not see anything uniquely identifying it as an "anniversary issue".

https://www.ebay.com...=p2047675.l2557

Regardless, I still am happy to have it coming my way and will probably have it professionally framed.

Steve

#6 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:36 PM

There were 250 50th Anniversary editions made; I have one, but only one :lol:, so this may not mean much. But I did not get such a chart nor have I ever heard of others getting one. But then I just recently learned that the eyepieces on the first few sold were different, so perhaps this was similar to that.

• sgorton99 likes this

#7 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

As someone who purchased a 50th Anniversary Q at the time they were first released, I would like to add these were not sold with the Q. They were discovered in storage and offered for sale slightly before the time the first 50thAQ were sold. They were made available to members of an old Questar group run by Stew Squires (before the current Yahoo group, during s.a.a. days). I think they cost around $12 each which was basically free, you just have to pay for shipping. They found and sold a bunch of other older, discontinued items at the same time and I purchased those too. BTW, if you like these items, you need to thank Stew Squires. It was at his urging they went through older boxes in storage, found them, and offered them for sale to this group. I have the original receipts, posts, and e-mails regarding these, kind of fun to read. I can't believe how much Questar has changed since then with having a new owner, a Q5 in development, etc.

• sgorton99 likes this

#8 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

agmoonsolns, you have any of the items for sale?wink.gif   You can't blame a Guy for trying!!!!!!!grin.gif grin.gif grin.gif

#9 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

The seller got back to me and from what he remembers it was a gift with the 50th anniversary model. He doesn't remember anything else, and suggests I check with folks on a Questar forum.

I think it will just remain a little mystery somewhat, but no worries!

Thank you for the good information. If we could go back in time I would have bought all of them I could for the $12...

Steve

#10 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:01 PM

Sometimes. I tell you what, I'll save your message and let you know first before posting any Q-related items for sale. I have been following Questar since they first started advertising in S&T during the 1950s and was finally able to buy my first during the early 1960s. I have tried to save and keep as much as I could along the way - every receipt, brochure, etc. 

• Terra Nova and Loren Gibson like this

#11 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

sgorton99, they went really fast and I remember Diane at Questar limited them to one per buyer. I have two because I picked up another one a little later on Astromart. It just seemed like a good idea to have a spare. Strangely enough, prices didn't start to really jump on these until several years later. You might want to try a wanted ad on Astromart, that's where a lot of us old timers hang out and it tends to be better for finding items with wanted ads.

• sgorton99 likes this

#12 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:09 PM

Message me if interested in hearing the story behind these. I really don't want to go off topic.

• JMKarian likes this

#13 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

They also sold Questar pewter statues on really nice wood bases at this time. The framed star chart with the statue makes for a really nice set.

• sgorton99 likes this

#14 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:26 AM

sgorton99, they went really fast and I remember Diane at Questar limited them to one per buyer. I have two because I picked up another one a little later on Astromart. It just seemed like a good idea to have a spare. Strangely enough, prices didn't start to really jump on these until several years later. You might want to try a wanted ad on Astromart, that's where a lot of us old timers hang out and it tends to be better for finding items with wanted ads.

With the one I have on the way, I'm good. While the price I paid wasn't super cheap, it was in the area I was expecting to have to pay.

#15 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:26 AM

Message me if interested in hearing the story behind these. I really don't want to go off topic.

Yes please, if you can PM me the additional details that would be interesting.

#16 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

Steve, the 50th model has blue skins, and the moon map is printed to note the anniversary.

• sgorton99 likes this

#17 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

I wonder how hard it eould be to scan a rolled-up, in-use star chart and print your own wall art?

Early scanners were actually drum scanners.

#18 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:16 PM

I scanned a flat one.  Needed two scans because it's longer than my scanner bed, but if you want to stitch them together message me your email and I'll transmit.

• Terra Nova likes this

#19 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

I wonder how hard it eould be to scan a rolled-up, in-use star chart and print your own wall art?

Early scanners were actually drum scanners.

Certainly possible, but wouldn't have the "depth" I imagine.

#20 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

I wonder if a high resolution photo with multiple light sources would work? I should think capturing the deep metallic purple would be a plus. Maybe, take one of the charts into a professional photographer with the understanding they only get paid if they can produce the high quality image required?

Professionals have all kinds of tools and equipment for doing stuff like this.

Edited by agmoonsolns, 16 May 2019 - 05:10 PM.

#21 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:08 PM

Your comments are well noted; I have deleted those other photos and am having the prints re-run. Not thinking I could edit the photos, I simply brought in the files as received. I thought they were dark when printed, went back to the files, and, realizing that I could edit them to enhance the brightness, did just that. I'll have them reprinted tomorrow and will share scans.

Ron

• agmoonsolns likes this

#22 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

All, I have brightened the images and printed new versions of each file, shown below. They look magnificent, despite my lousy photography, and at FedEx Kinko's you get some nice wall art for $1.50 each printed in 11 x 17 inch format. Just adding a reminder to increase the brightness in the files if they appear dark when you first receive them. My heartfelt thanks to Ben for sending these to me...

Regards,

Ron

New Q 2
New Q 1 edit

• Terra Nova likes this

#23 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

Hi Ron,

I'm following this with great interest.  Will you be stitching these two files together into a single file that could be reproduced at FedEx Kinko's?  If so, will you maybe be making that single file available to others?

Thanks!

smp

#24 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

All, please take a look at the image below. Because the original files are scans, each with its own border, I tried to create new borders and then resize each image so they could stitch together as seamlessly as possible. That said, what I have created seems to look pretty good, but take a careful look and let me know if you see any hiccups. If you can see where the image files merge, it needs to be fine tuned.

Additionally, I just noticed the master image files are each about 2.2MB, and when stitched for some reason they compress down to about 385KB, which is really not very high res and less than ideal for printing. The real problem with the originals (not really a problem, but just noting) is that in each image you lose a bit of one month from the star chart... once you print each master you may not feel the need to stitch them together, especially if they lose this much resolution. Truthfully, once you print a single master you may not feel the need to go all out and combine them to be faithful to the tube image. Believe me, once you print a single or file, I believe you'll be happy with them.

Ron

Q Final Stitch

Edited by RMay, 17 May 2019 - 04:26 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#25 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Ron,

Very nice! I'll take a closer look later when I have more time, but one quick thought - if you use Dropbox or a similar service you could provide a link to a full res file stored there, assuming the particular service supports that securely to the rest of your files, but I think most do at this point.

Very nice of you to do this! applause.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics