•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bino Bandits are a go!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 olebellow

olebellow

Vostok 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

I bought one of these to use on my Oberwerk 25-40x100 long range binos. They work great on the 40x eyepieces....a little too small for the 25x eyepieces. They really cut out the bright sunlight coming in from the sides.   

• elmiko likes this

#27 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for sharing.  I should get mine next week. waytogo.gif

• elmiko likes this

#28 Old Man

Old Man

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:31 PM

Do these have the buckle to pull the ends together across the eyepieces? It does not show that in the photos from B&H, but do on the Alpine website.

Thanks, Mike

• elmiko likes this

#29 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

The Alpine does. I was able to try it last night. It functions and doesn’t get in the way. The only thing I don’t like it doesn’t keep its shape like shown in the photos, but that may be user error. 

#30 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:15 AM

Yes, they have a plastic buckle on them. It works like it Should.

#31 ollie11

ollie11

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

I bought 2 binobandits  --The fit on the  Nikon 10x50  was fine but the fit on the fuji 16x70 is not a good fit. the eyecups extend too far out of the binobandit to make a tight fit  against  the forehead . If I pull the device farther up the eyecup it will interfere with function. I figured if I could  have my eye sockets recessed into my head about 3/4 of an inch , I could get a proper fit. It would probably be better to wait until they come out with a bino bandit that was a bit longer from front to back. What do you think?

• The Ardent and elmiko like this

#32 bcarter1234

bcarter1234

Mariner 2

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

I bought 2 binobandits  --The fit on the  Nikon 10x50  was fine but the fit on the fuji 16x70 is not a good fit. the eyecups extend too far out of the binobandit to make a tight fit  against  the forehead . If I pull the device farther up the eyecup it will interfere with function. I figured if I could  have my eye sockets recessed into my head about 3/4 of an inch , I could get a proper fit. It would probably be better to wait until they come out with a bino bandit that was a bit longer from front to back. What do you think?

ollie11,

As a guy who's eye sockets are recessed about 3/4", trust me, from an binocular standpoint you do not want that. ;-) It does make the binobandits work well though.

Take care,

Brent

#33 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

Bought them, haven't used them yet...

#34 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:21 AM

They don’t work on binoscopes using larger Astro eyepieces, for that you need to get dedicated rubber winged eyecups, though the ones from field optics research don’t fit the big eyepieces either. I am meaning to see if some customisable 3D printed design might be the answer.

Peter

#35 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

They don’t work on binoscopes using larger Astro eyepieces, for that you need to get dedicated rubber winged eyecups, though the ones from field optics research don’t fit the big eyepieces either. I am meaning to see if some customisable 3D printed design might be the answer.

Peter

What eyepieces work and don't?

#36 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for sharing.

These look rather tempting. Not only am I resident in a light polluted area, but my neighbour can properly be described as a connoseur of 'retaliatory garden lighting'.

Simply put, a single low flying bat is sufficient to render his backyard into the nightime equivalent of a prison compound at full alert.

Will be sure to place an order. Have been using winged eyecups on my binoculars and they've certainly made a difference, but these should lend just that little bit of extra protection against stray ambient light.

Cheers,

G.K.
  • elmiko likes this

#37 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

Bandits can stretch, but now when you use wide angle astro eyepieces.
Peter
  • elmiko likes this

#38 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

I got mine about a week ago.  Have not been able to try them out.  I have to wait for cataract surgery next month.   I know I will see better after then looking through wax paper in that eye now.

#39 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:30 PM

Miranda2525 recommended them to me so I tried one on my 8x50s.  They work extremely well and are very comfortable, even with my glasses on.  I’m hooked!  Really enhance the binocular experience by reducing stray light and other peripheral vision distractions.  I am getting a second one for my bigger binos.

One thing took some getting use to, and that was the strange, tunnel-like sensation as you lift them to your eyes.  It’s like going into a dark tunnel with a light at the far end that you emerge into as you get your eyes in place.  Weird at first but once I got used to it was kind of cool.

Highly recommended!

• Corcaroli78, elmiko, lestrade and 2 others like this

#40 LarryManuel

LarryManuel

Lift Off

• Loc: Yellow zone. A green zone is ~ 5 km to east.

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:32 PM

Thanks you “Sector 001”. These fit superbly on my Swarovski 15x56 SLC. Daylight testing indicates they work even better than I hoped. My observing projects tend towards seeking galaxies right at the threshold of visibility (given all my constraints). These are going to allow me see more and better. An unusually good product.
  • Corcaroli78 and elmiko like this

#41 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:21 AM

I have had the bino bandit for some months and has worked perfectly in all my binos. Recently sold my Skymaster 15x70  (where they were permanently mounted) and tried to install the bino bandit in my new IF 15x70 with no inmediate success. 

Due to the size of the eyepieces, it seems that i need to stretch the holes with the risk to rip the neopren. Have any of you managed to use bino bandits with big EP´s?

Looking at the success of the Bino bandits in the astro community, would be nice if we can get a wide EP version for those using bino-viewers and IF binos.

Anyway, an amazing product!

Carlos

#42 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

I have decided I need to 3D print some winged eyecups for my larger IF Astro bins (uses Astro ep which are larger than normal binocular ep). Need to get designing.

Peter

#43 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mariner 2

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:25 PM

I have had the bino bandit for some months and has worked perfectly in all my binos. Recently sold my Skymaster 15x70  (where they were permanently mounted) and tried to install the bino bandit in my new IF 15x70 with no inmediate success. 

Due to the size of the eyepieces, it seems that i need to stretch the holes with the risk to rip the neopren. Have any of you managed to use bino bandits with big EP´s?

Looking at the success of the Bino bandits in the astro community, would be nice if we can get a wide EP version for those using bino-viewers and IF binos.

Anyway, an amazing product!

Carlos

My APM 16x70s need stretching for them to work.  I have never worried about tearing, but I'm sure there is a limit.  The real issue is the depth.  I need to keep them on the focusers of the eyepieces.  If I put them past the focusers, it leaves a big gap on the sides.  I rarely refocus them in use, so it's not that bad.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#44 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Messenger

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:07 AM

I did not like the way they worked on my 25x100 Tachyons, but tonight on my 15x70 Barska's, they were a great improvement, I didn't even notice I had left the dew shields off, - so they would have probably been even better with them on. I'm sure even with the 25x100's, I'll get used to them.

#45 theskywatcher

theskywatcher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

First, I would like to thank Kenny for starting this thread. 

I must confess, that the term, bino bandits, meant nothing to me, and for many days I skipped over looking at this thread.  But when I finally looked at this, and saw all the great reviews for this product, I thought I would try it.

I got mine from a Sportsmans Warehouse store - I looked online, saw that they sold these, and was able to buy it locally and not have it shipped.

I have a set of Orion Giant View 25x100 binocs.  The bino bandit fit over the eyepieces with no problem.  The bino bandit was the Alpine brand.

I wear eyeglasses, and I never folded down the rubber cups surrounding the eyepieces.  That's because I wanted some side shield to block my neighbor's light.  The bino bandit fits fine, and I still have the rubber cups not folded down.  I might fold them down now, but have no need.  I can focus and see just fine with the rubber cups left extended, and the bino bandit does a great job.

The bino bandit does not block out all ambient light, perhaps because of the way I have it fitted, or perhaps it is not designed to block out everything.  But it does a great job on the top and the sides, which is where I have a problem with the neighbor's light.  I am too lazy to bother packing up my gear and going to a dark spot somewhere.

I am generally hesitant to endorse any product, but make an exception in this case.  I paid only $14.99 plus tax for mine - I saw they cost more at other places.  Based upon my experience, paying a bit more money would still be well worth it.  I no longer need one of my hands held up to my face to block out light.  The bino bandits help me to focus on the task at hand - looking through the eyepieces - with far fewer distractions from ambient light.

Thx again to everyone above who posted reviews of this product - this is a great web site to learn things.

• John Gauvreau, Corcaroli78, SMark and 1 other like this

#46 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:33 AM

Finally i tried the Bino-Bandit on my 15x70 IF.

I needed to stretch the holes and with some effort, I placed it on the EP´s. Unfortunately, if i want to clear the focusers, the Bino Bandit is too low and will not block the light as in my other center focus binos. I tried a second position just below the eyecups and fortunately I was able to rotate the focuser without changiing the position of the Bandit and adjusting the bandit does not change the focus.  So far, it works with the eyecups in original position and also folded down. 

Here some pics. Now i will wait until i get some darkness and perform a star test

Clear bino-viewed skies to all !

Carlos

20190626_165803.gif

20190626_165929.gif

20190626_170030.gif

20190626_170220.gif

#47 LarryManuel

LarryManuel

Lift Off

• Loc: Yellow zone. A green zone is ~ 5 km to east.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:39 AM

Suggestion to modify the Bino Bandit to fit larger eyepieces:  Make a cutter of desired diameter, similar to a leather punch.  Centre that over existing holes, or offset if that seems better, and punch bigger holes.  The Bandit is so inexpensive that it is a low-risk experiment.

Leather punches are essentially steel tubes with a bevel at the cutting end, on the exterior.  The bevel extends to the end of the tube [or pipe], forming a knife edge.  Place your work on the end grain of a hardwood block and give the punch a sharp rap with a hammer, mallet, rock, scrap of lumber, or unwanted binocular.  Presto: clean, round hole.

58 sec. How to video [with bevel on inside of tube]:  https://www.youtube....h?v=OwJ5qiUladI

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics