•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recent double stars splits this past weekend

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson M

Tyson M

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:40 PM

I had a great few days and nights for observing.  Yesterday I went through the GOTO list for double stars and had a look at several popular targets.

All of these double stars split with the TSA102S and the 6 Delos @ 135x:

Kappa Bootes- yellow (primary) and dark blue (secondary)

Iota Cancer- yellow and white/blue

Algieba- yellow and yellow

54 Leo- light yellow and light blue

Cor Caroli- white and light bluish white

Alcor and Mizar- has a beautiful starfield here with 4 bright stars, 1 fainter star not including the double itself (7 in total).  A brilliant white pair

Polaris- white and faint red/brown secondary

Porrima- tight split. Double white pair. 4 stars in the field of view (including the double)

Theta 2 Cancer-  small faint pair, not as tight as Porrima.  Two white stars

Xi Bootes- yellow and red pair...beautiful double

Izar- hardest split of the night, about equal to Porrima in separation. Yellow primary, light blue secondary almost touching

On Friday night I split Antares for the first time at a mere 10 degrees above the horizon.  It is one of my favorite double stars, with its secondary a brilliant green color.

All in all, a great couple sessions!

• R Botero, dUbeni, Kon Dealer and 5 others like this

#2 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:53 PM

I'm glad somebody is getting some clear nights.  Here in sunny southern California its going to be cloudy for at least a week.  That's ok as long as it clears up around new moon, I'll be happy.

• Tyson M likes this

#3 Rustler46

Rustler46

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:30 AM

I had a great few days and nights for observing.  Yesterday I went through the GOTO list for double stars and had a look at several popular targets.

Alcor and Mizar- has a beautiful starfield here with 4 bright stars, 1 fainter star not including the double itself (7 in total).  A brilliant white pair

Porrima- tight split. Double white pair. 4 stars in the field of view (including the double)

Izar- hardest split of the night, about equal to Porrima in separation. Yellow primary, light blue secondary almost touching

On Friday night I split Antares for the first time at a mere 10 degrees above the horizon.  It is one of my favorite double stars, with its secondary a brilliant green color.

Thanks for the interesting report, Tyson M. I particularly enjoy the colors you have noted with your 102 Takahashi. Clear skies will eventually come to us all, if we are willing to wait and seize the opportunity. I've had a few nights in the last month, mostly exploring the new binoviewing experience. Seeing has been poor, but Castor was nicely split using the C-11 at 150X with the WO binoviewer. I still need to explore binoviewing with my little AT115EDT APO. That should give quite a bit lower power with the binoviewer, 65X. Putting a Barlow in front will give 130X for the closer doubles.

I'll need to have another try at Antares. There are just two instances where I recorded pulling out that green companion, both times with a C-8. Yes being so low is a challenge. But your 53° latitude shows it can be accomplished. My location at 43° should be a welcome advantage.

CS,

Russ

• flt158 and Tyson M like this

#4 flt158

flt158

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:02 AM

Brilliant report, Tyson!

You and I are both in complete agreement on the colours of 54 Leonis.  

Izar is one of my favourite binaries. 

I require 140X to see the slenderest gap between the 2 stars. 

My 158 mm apochromatic refractor split in on Monday 13th May. 

Porrima was superb too.

Both stars look yellow -white to me. Easily split at 112X. I used to need 167X to do it justice. 

It is clearly widening every year I look at it. In a few years I will split at 40X. Check it out on www.stelledoppie.it when you have the time. 

Is your Takahashi an apochromatic refractor?

Thank you for your excellent report!

I have managed to observe each of your doubles over many years. 

Kindest regards from Aubrey.  

• Tyson M likes this

#5 Tyson M

Tyson M

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:12 AM

Yes, this Tak has superb correction being an F8 triplet, likely one of the best. See this chart TSAcorrectoin.png  Takdiffraction.png

I am not a regular double star user so I will need to replicate these observations to see if the colors to be what they are. 

Also note, my top magnification range with only the 6 Delos meant I was not getting close up views of the stars, which itself makes it a bit challenging to identify color on faint pairs.

Edited by Tyson M, 14 May 2019 - 11:26 AM.

• flt158 likes this

#6 DeWynter

DeWynter

Explorer 1

• Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:40 AM

I was doing these splits (along with other ones) last night with ED100 and have slightly different results

Porrima - even at x360 I was able to split them in two only, but not 4. Didn't even know it's a quadruple star. Will try again next time.

Izar - easy to split at x112 (8mm), much easier than Porrima.

Xi Boo - easy at x112.

In Bootes I found one very beautiful pair - Pi1 Boo (HR 5475,HD 129174). Yellow and Blue ones. Splits at x112.

And the best of the night were two doubles: HD 144087 and Xi Sco (HR 5978,HD 144069) in one EP view. Xi Sco is a triple star. A and C splits easily and A and B much harder. Couldn't do that. But anyway two doubles in one view were magnificent!

• Rustler46 likes this

#7 Tyson M

Tyson M

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:46 AM

Hello, I apologize, I didnt mean Porrima was quadruple star. A single double, white pair is what I observed.

I will check out some of the other double you listed.

Regards
  • flt158 and DeWynter like this

#8 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

Yes, this Tak has superb correction being an F8 triplet, likely one of the best. See this chart attachicon.gif TSAcorrectoin.png attachicon.gif Takdiffraction.png

I am not a regular double star user so I will need to replicate these observations to see if the colors to be what they are. 

Also note, my top magnification range with only the 6 Delos meant I was not getting close up views of the stars, which itself makes it a bit challenging to identify color on faint pairs.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm seriously considering getting myself a TSA 120 for serious double star work at some point.

Edited by RadioAstronomer, 15 May 2019 - 01:54 PM.

#9 DeWynter

DeWynter

Explorer 1

• Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

Hello, I apologize, I didnt mean Porrima was quadruple star. A single double, white pair is what I observed.

I will check out some of the other double you listed.

Regards

Ah! I see! Looks like it was just me mis-read your post. I just re-read it now and you are quite right. And now I fully understand what other two stars you were talking about!

#10 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:05 AM

Can do all of these with either my TS90 APO, or my Kson 102ED.

Get clear splits using my 7mm Xcel-LX at x85 and x87, respectively.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics