•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is the Unity gain of an ASI294MC, non-cooled?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:43 PM

I would like to know what is the unity gain of my ASI294MC camera, non-cooled version?

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:51 PM

I would like to know what is the unity gain of my ASI294MC camera, non-cooled version?

Dave

I watched Robin Glover’s video last night which talked about this exactly. As I was watching I looked up the graphs for the IMX 294 and applied his definition to arrive at unity about 120-130. I’d be interested to see if you get the same value.

Ive sent you a link to his YouTube presentation on this.

Gary

#3 davidparks

davidparks

Messenger

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

The ASI294MC (Non-Cooled) has a unity gain of 117.  However, you really should use 120 or higher because HCG Mode turns on at 120, which greatly reduces read noise and preserves dynamic range.

Look carefully at the graphs on the product page (linked above) and you can see the effect on the read noise and dynamic range charts.

• Stargazer3236 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics