•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Saturn 14th May- rubbish transparency but GRS!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

Hi all. The countdown to Opposition continues and a plague of upper level cloud is making imaging anything a rough effort. I have a few from this morning to post. What I did learn is that my histogam setting do change according to seeing conditions. Imaging was partially rescued by decent seeing though. I hope you all enjoy. I will post more as I stack and process.

OTA: C9.25

Camera: ASI 224MC

3X Teleconverter

ZWO ADC

Jupiter with Europa and Ganymede

gallery_218407_320_89675.jpg

Saturn. 20 minutes no derotation....yet

gallery_218407_320_38435.jpg

• Blair, Sunspot, Neptune and 25 others like this

#2 alvarete

alvarete

Ranger 4

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

What good they are!
  • wargrafix likes this

#3 Billytk

Billytk

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Is that Saturn from a 20 minute AVI? I have never done a capture that long. How big was the file? How many frames did you get?

#4 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

Rubbish transparency??!!

Cough splutter %}***%?~*^*

Try living here
  • yock1960, charotarguy and gfstallin like this

#5 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:33 AM

it was about 45GB. I will post frames after when I reach home.

There was persistent upper level cloud cover from the mainland so it gave poor saturation effect.

The best planetary capture is extreme transparency, excellent seeing and the best polar alignment.

Minimal drift helps so much with getting quality frames.

Here are 2 more Jupiter captures

Wide with Europa and another cropped video

gallery_218407_320_84853.jpg

gallery_218407_320_70124.jpg

• R Botero, mwayne and Foc like this

#6 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:12 PM

Excellent!  It was a long time ago I viewed them. Talking about rubbish transparency the dreaded marine layer has been relentless here.  Some days clear up lasting into early evening a few times but  almost every time totally socked in before midnight. The ocean is warming up fast so there is hope. David

#7 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:21 PM

David hit the point hard. And correct. The phenomenon dulls the fine detail. Now I am not crapping on my images. But knowing the conditions the images were taken under, it pains to know it could have been better.

It's a fine flitty kind of upper level clouds that make Jupiter look foggy even through a finderscope

#8 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:05 AM

I also want to ask is that 10 minutes single video or joined videos? In Sharpcap it is limiting to 3 minutes maximum I don't know why

#9 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:36 AM

Hi, It was clearer last night, but my little one was under the weather, so no imaging.

Its a single 20 mins video (SER format). 41.5 GB, 20,135 frames. Through experimentation, for my location, I can stack 80% comfortably.

Firecapture is still king of the hill for planetary imaging. I have sharpcap pro, and I use it for finding my targets, but Firecapture is where its at.

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:48 AM

Hi, It was clearer last night, but my little one was under the weather, so no imaging.

Its a single 20 mins video (SER format). 41.5 GB, 20,135 frames. Through experimentation, for my location, I can stack 80% comfortably.

Firecapture is still king of the hill for planetary imaging. I have sharpcap pro, and I use it for finding my targets, but Firecapture is where its at.

I see, i need to try again Firecapture then, sounds i must use it if i want to have better results in capturing then, hopefully i don't see issues as i saw before, who knows, thanks.

#11 Billytk

Billytk

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

20K frames in 20 minutes? I get 35k frames in 3 minutes.

#12 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

Mine is 100 fps at that frame size

#13 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

Whoops. My astigmatism does weird things when a 1 is next to slashes.

Its 120,135 frames
  • Billytk likes this

#14 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

Hi bro - just a couple of points to make - I'm putting this sentence in caps because a lot of newcomers will read your posts & get a wrong idea or 2..!!!

You're right about most of the conditions needed for good imaging - but polar alignment (PA) is not one of them!

Of course it can help having good PA to ensure that the smallest height of any ROI can be utilised to maximise frame-rates...but your:

<"the best polar alignment. Minimal drift helps so much with getting quality frames.">  

isn't correct...some  believe that a bit of image wandering during capture is actually beneficial - but apart from allowing you to not have any worries at all with the planet staying in your fov, "best" polar alignment does nothing for the image outcome qualities unless you have it so poor you cannot focus or whatever! ;)

Also, is that 20 minute Saturnavi derotated..? I suspect not, apologies if I'm wrong there but there used to be a lot of images on the net taken using very long timespans for Saturn - with only subtle belt irregularities & the Polar Hex it can appear very attractive still without derotation. (in this case it would have to have been video derotation if it was)

Try that on Jove & you'd get an ugly set of blurred but very contrasty belts..! :lol:

Regardless, your Jovian images are very nice - your recent changes to processing have really lifted your images imo bro! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

Filmy clouds are always going to detract from the possible results (our most recent ones were taken under similar conditiions btw) but yours are still very good & as said your "new" processing approach is great! waytogo.gif

• Lacaille likes this

#15 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:07 PM

While pa isn't a deal breaker, you have to admit is nice to record and not have to worry that it's going drift out of field in a few minutes.

I did notice for slower framerates 64fps, like at full resolution, there was a noticeable effect in the quality graph.

Looking back at my videos, the ones with the least drift landed me the best overall images.

Seeing in the Caribbean can be like clockwork. Great in the early evening, devolving around 11ish and improving around half 1.
I am extremely grateful for my location. Last year June-ish, there was one capture session where I thought the camera had frozen...it took me a moment to realize there was zero turbulence in frame. My mom actually asked me what planet was that, while pointing to vega, and I couldn't blame her because I couldn't see any twinkling.

You are right, that Saturn was not derotated. Should derotate the final stack, or the video recording?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics