•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StellarCam3 with the Q

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jjones

Jjones

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stillwater, MN

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

I borrowed an old StellaCam3 from a friend in the hopes of using it with my Questar.  I assumed that I would be able to simply place it in the 1.25 eyepiece tube but I was unable to bring the camera to focus.  I know the camera works as I was also using it with a Meade LX200 8".  Does this mean that I need to connect it to the axial port?  If so, what adapter would I need?  The nose of the StellaCam3 is a standard 1.25" and is 1.25 inches long.  I do not have a shorter - or longer - nose for it; I'm not sure if they made one.

Thanks for the help!

#2 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

I borrowed an old StellaCam3 from a friend in the hopes of using it with my Questar.  I assumed that I would be able to simply place it in the 1.25 eyepiece tube but I was unable to bring the camera to focus.  I know the camera works as I was also using it with a Meade LX200 8".  Does this mean that I need to connect it to the axial port?  If so, what adapter would I need?  The nose of the StellaCam3 is a standard 1.25" and is 1.25 inches long.  I do not have a shorter - or longer - nose for it; I'm not sure if they made one.

Thanks for the help!

Usually folks connect cameras to the axial port at the back of the scope for just that reason - i.e., back focus requirements. There's an adapter package Questar sells to enable this. I can't find a good link at the moment, but it has both the threads to screw into that port, as well as spacers to help you achieve focus with a variety of cameras. I think that's what you likely need.

#3 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:19 AM

The Stellacam looks like it is designed to be an eyepiece replacement so it should not need a lot of backfocus. At either port the Questar like other cats has a large back focus range, so I doubt this is the problem. 

It can be very hard to focus a camera on a relatively dim target, because you just don’t see anything until the focus is nearly perfect. I suggest using the moon or even a distant target in daylight. Focus with the eyepiece and then with the camera in place. Count the number of turns of the focus knob between the two. This will help you find focus with dim targets. You may not be able to reach focus with this camera in the finder mode, but I’m very sure you can do it in the telescope mode.

If you mount it at the axial port you will still need to refocus between the eyepiece and camera focus.

;rob

• cbwerner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics