•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Doctelescope

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 L.Roulin

L.Roulin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fribourg, Switzerland

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:34 AM

Has anyone ever tried one of the scopes built by this company?

The structures seem well tought out, and the prices are pretty low. He also claims (according to Google Translate) that his structures have no flexure when moving from zenith to horizon, which looks pretty impressive given most of his scopes are of the ultra-light design. I am very curious to know how they would behave in the field.

http://www.doctelescope.com/

Also be sure to check out Marco Guidi's planetary images, they are impressive.

Edited by L.Roulin, 15 May 2019 - 06:41 AM.

• HydrogenAlpha likes this

#2 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

very beautiful.

Tempts me to purchase a structure. Nice that you can buy it without optics.

That's a lot of machine work for the price.

I was not aware for this Telescope Maker. Thanks for posting!

#3 Tury84

Tury84

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

Hi everyone.

My name is Salvo and I am of Italian origin, but I live in Switzerland.
From the beginning of 2019 I have a Doctelescope 24 "F / 4.2 manual.

It is a totally handmade Dobsonian, in metal alloy. Very compact and light due to its size, but rather robust. I, who am 170 cm tall, can manage the load and assembly of the instrument by myself.
It holds collimation very well during use, during assembly everything remains in axis and only a minimum adjustment of the primary mirror is required.
There are practically no bending.

The primary cell has 18 floating points, in aluminum alloy, with laser-tipped pieces. The mirror rests on two points, no belt, this solution does not involve any deformation of the mirror. For the optics under Doctelescope's advice I turned to a good Italian craftsman, choosing a mirror in Supremax 52 mm thick.

I am very satisfied with the Doctelescope, as a former owner of an 18 "F / 5 ZEN which is nothing but a copy of a Classic Obsession. I regret very smooth, perfect movements of this instrument.
The movements of the Doctelescope are fluid, but very pasty. This requires an extra force when moving the telescope is still an operation that is done with two fingers (thumb and forefinger). Personally I used 520 x on the Ghost of Jupiter (maximum magnifications allowed by my eyepieces), but I also tried 1040 x (adding a barlow 2x) on stellar subjects, being able to chase and incredibly keeping the instrument with the fingers the vibrations are muted instantly , obviously if you accidentally hit the telescope this is obvious, but they are crazy enlargements for my taste. This pastosita is however a point in favor in windy conditions, practically the instrument does not giara and remains in position. If you decide to motorize the instrument it becomes practically perfect.

I consider it a good product, at a decidedly favorable cost, but Marco is really willing to create with various solutions an instrument almost "sewn on" based on needs.

I hope I was helpful

Clear skies and congratulations for the forums.

• Doug McIntosh, Ernesto.Nicola, areyoukiddingme and 1 other like this

#4 L.Roulin

L.Roulin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fribourg, Switzerland

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

Hello Salvio,

Thank you for your report and welcome to Cloudynights! I'm glad to hear some user feedback on those telescopes, these are hard to come by on the internet.

I also live in Switzerland and would be very interested to have a closer look at your instrument. If it is OK for you, could you tell me by private message where you live/observe? It would be cool to meet up if you're not living too far from me.

#5 davidpitre

davidpitre

Aurora

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:19 AM

So I’m understanding Tury84 to say he has a 24 inch mirror 52mm thick who’s edge support is 2 fixed points.

#6 Tury84

Tury84

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:14 AM

So I’m understanding

Yes exactly, the mirror rests on two lateral points, and its cell has 18 floating points. The two support points are positioned on the center of mass of the mirror.
The star test is unmistakable, a perfectly round focus star and images , also intra and extra focus.

The real difficulty of these mirrors is to be able to bring them up to temperature …

Sorry for my English

#7 NeutronStar79

NeutronStar79

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:41 AM

Hi all,

I bought a 12 inch F/5 scope from Marco Guidi last summer. I am very happy and satisfied of what he built for me!

The scope is super transportable, easy to set up (about 5 minutes), it holds collimation well, and is very precise in its movements.

Marco is also an extremely nice guy to deal with.

I would recommend everyone thinking about a custom made truss tubes Dobsonian to give Doctelescope a serious think!

I attach a pic of my scope (sorry I don't have better ones at the moment!)

Clear skies

Filippo

Attached Thumbnails

• Doctelescope 12 inch.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics