•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense HC and Meridian Favor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bryanwells

bryanwells

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

I have a CGEM mount and just switched to a StarSense HC from my old NextStar HC. I relied on the NextStar HC menu option to tell the mount when going to a object east of the meridian, to favor the West so I could get an extra 15 degrees without a meridian flip. That menu option does not appear on the StarSense HC.

Is there any way I can position to a target east of the meridian and have the mount favor west using the StarSense HC? To me, this is a huge loss of functionality. What about from CPWI or some other software?

Thx

Edited by bryanwells, 15 May 2019 - 04:31 PM.

#2 ishorx

ishorx

Vostok 1

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

don't know if this would work any better for you but isn't there a feature where you do a goto from opposite direction

#3 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

I have a CGEM mount and just switched to a StarSense HC from my old NextStar HC. I relied on the HC menu option to tell the mount when going to a object eat the meridian, to favor the West so I could get an extra 15 degrees without a meridian flip. That menu option does not appear on the StarSense HC.

Is there any way I can position to a target east of the meridian and have the mount favor west using the StarSense HC? To me, this is a huge loss of functionality. What about from CPWI or some other software?

Thx

I would take a look here: https://www.nexstarsite.com/ 

You can learn everything for Celestron NexStar related at that site.... 

• Dynan and Stefan042 like this

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

I would take a look here: https://www.nexstarsite.com/ 

You can learn everything for Celestron NexStar related at that site.... 

But not that particular question - I am not your go-to (pun intended) expert on the GEM mounts.  I can tell you that StarSense definitely has fewer features than the NexStar hand control.  There are several people who frequent this forum that have been using StarSense on their GEM for a few years so hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in soon.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#5 dcollier

dcollier

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

I have Star Sense on a CGEM.   I am not aware of any way to do this with a Star Sense HC.    The Next Star + Hand Controls have this option. 

-Dave 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics