•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M51 with a Plethora of Moonlight

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

I've been mainly working on my pier and mount of late. I didn't have time to focus and calibrate my new-to-me Lodestar X2 OAG guide cam, so I proceeded with my 60mm, f/4 (240mm), guide scope with an ASI224MC on it. When I got things mounted, relatively adjusted, and communicating, the Moon was still in its haughty 72% attitude. I figured I'd hit M51 in spite of the bright moonlight and 3/5(ish) seeing, to see what I could get.

There was a huge variance of moonlight, with the last 20% of lights having the relief of Moonset.

CGX, pier mounted

Celestron C11

Canon T5 (1200D)

Image scale 0.306 arcsec/px

BYEOS

Lights: 65 x 90 seconds, (97.5 minutes)

ISO 800

17 Darks

23 Bias

23 Flats

Stacked and slightly processed in Nebulosity

M51 REDUCED.jpg

Edited by Dynan, 15 May 2019 - 03:18 PM.

• Starman27, mikewayne3, elmiko and 2 others like this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

Hope you don't mind, but I suspected there was more in your data, so I (it's pretty silly, but...) did some processing on your jpg.  If you could upload an unstretched stack to something like Dropbox, and let people take a crack at it, you'll probably be surprised at what you got.

M510ther.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 15 May 2019 - 04:48 PM.

• Dynan and Flatha like this

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

Thanks, Bob! Here's a link to the Nebulosity stacked .fit file:

https://www.dropbox...._STACK.zip?dl=0

Let me know if the link doesn't work...I'll work on my Dropbox skills...

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:39 PM

Here's a 15 minute hack job in PixInsight.  Minor points.  You had some fixed pattern noise that could be removed by dithering.  PI's Canon Debanding script did a good job on it.  Your image scale is 0.3, that's hurting your signal to noise ratio, and I don't think you got a significant gain in sharpness. 

_2019_0513_M51_NEB_FINAL_STACK_ABE.jpg

Fullsize here.  Note the two galaxies up and to the right.  IC 4277 and IC4278.

https://www.astrobin.com/406094/

Edited by bobzeq25, 16 May 2019 - 12:00 AM.

• mikewayne3 and Dynan like this

#5 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for the use of your talent, Bob!

I DID dither. And I believe it was on Very High Dither in PHD2. And I think this adjustment was from one of your recommendations, in the foggy past...that long focal lengths need high dither. (If not you, it was someone whose experience I also respected.)

I've been at this since March of 2018, mostly working on the data acquisition end of things...like pointing the right way, and staying there long enough...smile.png. Processing has been a bit lower on my list since I hadn't had good data to work with. And HORRIBLE cloud cover for a three month stretch didn't help either.

As far as sharpness, I believe graduating to a better camera and a good collimation on my C11 will help that. My T5 has been a workhorse for more than a year, but it might be time to put it to pasture. I have all I need (I think) to make the jump to mono with an ASI1600MM-Cool and my ES ED127CF, but that's beyond the 'scope' of this thread.

Now, it's into the Warren Keller book a bunch deeper, so I can bring out some color and detail.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

• bobzeq25 likes this

#6 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

You're welcome.  Inspiration was precisely my goal.

If you're not running a reducer on the C11, that would help SNR some.

#7 Bretw01

Bretw01

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL USA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

Here is what I got from it, quick processing in PI. 

_2019_0513_M51_NEB_FINAL_STACK_ABE.jpg

• Dynan likes this

#8 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:10 AM

Thanks Bret! After the dispatching of family duties, you both have instilled the inspiration to dig deeper into PI.

I appreciate the effort.

Question:

Did either of you use BPP in PI? Or your own 'home-brew' workflow?

I am (somewhat) familiar with PI, but I would again appreciate any direction you could give me concerning your work flow. No detail necessary as I will have time soon to experiment with process or script parameters. A general workflow would be very helpful. Presently I am (somewhat) familiar with AstroDude's Youtube tutorial and have gotten as far chapter 9 in Warren Keller's book...(next chapter is masks).

Again, Thanks! This is another example of the great attitudes, beneficence, and empathy that is the cornerstone on Cloudy Nights! 

#9 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Bret! After the dispatching of family duties, you both have instilled the inspiration to dig deeper into PI.

I appreciate the effort.

Question:

I am (somewhat) familiar with PI, but I would again appreciate any direction you could give me concerning your work flow. No detail necessary as I will have time soon to experiment with process or script parameters. A general workflow would be very helpful. Presently I am (somewhat) familiar with AstroDude's Youtube tutorial and have gotten as far chapter 9 in Warren Keller's book...(next chapter is masks).

Again, Thanks! This is another example of the great attitudes, beneficence, and empathy that is the cornerstone on Cloudy Nights! 

I (and many others) most often do the calibration steps using BPP (except for ImageIntegration for stacking), and sometimes do them individually.   I recommend the first course of action for people starting out, better to spend your effort in PI on learning the postprocessing better.

For a good basic general PI workflow see The Deep Space Primer, second edition.  For seeing what an advanced one can look like (at that point you'll be doing your own), The Astrophotography Manual.

• Dynan likes this

#10 Bretw01

Bretw01

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL USA

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:31 PM

I appreciate the effort.

Question:

I processed the stacked file, so no BPP.

I do use BPP at times, but prefer to do the pre-processing manually.

Workflow for post processing - 

Dynamic crop to clean up the edges from stacking.

DBE for gradient removal.

PCC

Noise reduction with TGVdenoise and MMT.

Stretch - usually a light stretch with arcsinhstretch to preserve star color then several small stretches with HT.

I may use localhistogramequalization after this, and MLT for some light sharpening.

Any color boosting I do in Photoshop, I just like the control I have with PS.

Hope this helps you.

Bret

• Dynan likes this

#11 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

Any color boosting I do in Photoshop, I just like the control I have with PS.

This is not really a disagreement.  But, for the benefit of others reading this. 

PI has a vast array of highly adjustable tools for manipulating color.  I cannot imagine what could be done in PS that could not be done in PI.

Some, particularly those with PS experience, will find it easier to do so in PS.

Edited by bobzeq25, 19 May 2019 - 09:54 AM.

• Bretw01 and Dynan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics