•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Time Imaging Moon

moon
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrbuchanan

jrbuchanan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

Here is an image that I took on Monday with C-6se and ZWO ASI 224 camera.  Image made by capturing  3000 frames in Firecapture, then processing in PIPP to reduced down the 1200 best and steady the image.  Then ran through Autostackert and Registax. Finished off with a little sharpening and shake reduction in Photoshop. Image captures the Montes Appenine, Mere of Serenity and Tranquility- used a 6.3 focal reducer on this image. 

I am new to this and not sure really how good of an image this is because everything looks great to me at this point.  Would love to get some feedback on ways to improve and things that I might be over or underdoing in processing the image.  Honestly, I think I fell in love with lunar imaging the other night.  Incredible fun. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-05-14-0148_2-B-Moon_pipp_g5_ap373.png

• Wouter D'hoye, zjc26138, jeremiah2229 and 1 other like this

#2 RunningMan

RunningMan

Messenger

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Nice shot!

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

That's a nice first image.  It appears to be the full sized image with no downsizing for posting?  Your camera and scope with the reducer will produce an image scale of 0.82"/px, which seems about right given your image above.  My only comments would be that you can skip PIPP entirely.  It serves no purpose here, and it would be better to let AS!3 have access to all of the frames to asses quality scores and align and stack.  You have done a nice job to avoid oversharpening, however in my opinion the noise reduction is overdone.  The resulting image is very smooth, but almost too smooth.  Noise reduction does indeed reduce the "grain", but also leads to telltale smoothing that appears somewhat unnatural and loss of fine detail. Overall though, it is a very nice image, especially for your first go at it.  You will indeed find imaging to become addictive.  

Edited by Tom Glenn, 15 May 2019 - 06:37 PM.

#4 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

I wouldn't use a reducer when imaging the moon, not even to get a wider field. Well, it might be okay or even desirable when imaging a lunar eclipse, but you want to avoid such optics if possible since it will reduce the sharpness of your images.

That said, welcome to the Solar System Imaging & Processing thread and I look forward to your future contributions.

#5 Foc

Foc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

Great start to moon imaging.  Framing your target snicely  near the terminator will give you more dramatic images.  Sometimes too much moon is less rather than more.  Perhaps using the reducer might most easily help get a nice mosaic of the whole moon  as it is nice to have one that you can associate with your high magnification images of craters mountains and rilles, as you say...lots of fun to be had!

#6 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:51 AM

You will indeed find imaging to become addictive.  

Truer words may never have been spoken ... it's turning me into a complete basket case lol.

Very nice first image, glad to have more company whilst we all disappear down the rabbit hole together!

Agree with Tom: ditch PIPP from the workflow, feed the raw data into AS! so it can select the best data to stack.

Aside from that, the main thing to do is practice (checking collimation, achieving critical focus etc) and experiment with the various settings in the capture and processing workflow, to see what works best with your setup.

Have fun!

#7 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

Great first image.  I would say I detect a bit of over-sharpening, as evidenced by some of the highlights and features, such as mountains, begin to take on an angular character.  I used to very excessively over sharpen - much more than represented here.  I've had a long journey to learn how to back off.

I also agree the NR might be a bit excessive.  The overall tonality looks pretty good to me.

I would second James' suggestion to ditch the focal reducer.  You would be better off working on creating mosaics instead.

Keep it up - looking forward to seeing your future images.  There are fantastic imagers and processors here, so you'll get some great advice from others.  Feel free to look back through old posts or follow imagers you really like.  You'll find a bevy of information that will help you immensely.  I know I have benefited much from others on this forum.

Unfortunately you will now become obsessed with 'seeing' and it can drive you nuts waiting for it to be good.  Hopefully you live somewhere where the seeing is decent.  At least a 6" scope will not be as demanding as a 14" scope, so only relatively 'average' seeing should be good enough to max out the resolution on your scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics