•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clavius with Celestron C6 and ZWO ASI178MM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

Taken on the early evening of May 14, 2019 during a brief period of partly cloudy skies before the "May Gray" overcast returned to completely cover the night skies. If you are lucky at this time of the year (in San Diego county) to have even thirty minutes of clear skies after sundown then the seeing conditions can be surprisingly good as the thick marine layer brings both low clouds and stable seeing.

This was acquired with SharpCap and processed with AutoStakkert! (best 20% of about 1800 frames, although about one third of those were lost to clouds), wavelet sharpened with Registax, and final tweaks with Photoshop CC2019. Taken with a Celestron C6 (at f/10), a ZWO ASI178MM-Cool camera, and a Baader 610nm Long Pass Filter. I would have liked to have tried a different filter (green, perhaps even blue) to take advantage of the good seeing, but the clouds arrived less than twenty minutes after I started the session. That said, this is probably the highest resolution image of Clavius that I've gotten with the C6.

The smallest crater (on the eastern edge of Clavius) that I would consider being clearly resolved is just about 1.6km in diameter, representing just under one arc second (0.93") at the then distance to the moon. However, given the foreshortening caused by the far southern location of Clavius this calculation probably underestimates the actual resolution of the image.

Attached Thumbnails

• Clavius with C6 and ASI178MM.jpg

Edited by james7ca, 16 May 2019 - 02:42 AM.

• Wouter D'hoye, zjc26138, siriusandthepup and 7 others like this

#2 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Very nice result, congrats!

• Rustler46 likes this

#3 Rustler46

Rustler46

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

Very well-done! Lots of very fine detail captured in there.

#4 jerobe

jerobe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

Great image, very sharp!

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:10 AM

Nice image James.  It certainly hasn't been easy to do any imaging here in San Diego.  In fact, I haven't imaged in a month, since April 14.  It has been a pretty steady stretch of completely overcast skies at night, and really no hope for planetary imaging in the early morning hours.  I noticed the first quarter and waxing gibbous Moon occasionally peeking through the clouds the past several days, but the cloud cover has been relentless.  As you say, it's a bit of a tease, because if you do manage to get a break in the clouds, the seeing is quite good with onshore flows and relatively calm conditions.  Last year I don't recall getting much break from the clouds until almost July.  

#6 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:21 PM

That is a very fine and well processed image James.  Way to image between the clouds coming in.  I can't imagine technically having really good seeing only to be negated by clouds.

#7 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

DMach, Russ, jerobe, Tom, and aeroman thanks for the notice.

I have one shorter sequence that covered this same area that was taken while the sky was still cloud free (in the area of the moon) and I'm going to try and combine both sequences to see if that will improve the results. Only problem is that the ROI on this other sequence is larger so I think I'll have to crop it so that the two SER files can be combined into one video.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics