•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Lunar Observing Guides

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

I'm just starting to get into lunar observing and wanted to ask the group if they have any good suggestions for classic observing guides...  I'm really looking for references from before around the 1940's, back to the early 1800's.  I don't mind if you want to point me to some of your more recent favorites too.

Portfolio of Lunar Drawings.jpg

I just got A Portfolio of Lunar Drawings by Harold Hill in the mail today - so far all I can say is WOW.

Thank you for your comments...

Edited by brentknight, 15 May 2019 - 07:56 PM.

• desertstars, Carl Kolchak and Crusty99 like this

#2 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:29 AM

I'm just starting to get into lunar observing and wanted to ask the group if they have any good suggestions for classic observing guides...  I'm really looking for references from before around the 1940's, back to the early 1800's.  I don't mind if you want to point me to some of your more recent favorites too.

You might want to consider taking a look at the following references.

The Victorian Amateur Astronomer: Independent Astronomical Research in Britain 1820-1920 (Allan Chapman, 2017, 2nd edition, Gracewing). I particularly like Part 2: Poor, obscure, and self-taught: Astronomy and the working class. 

Star Maps: History, Artistry, and Cartography (Nick Kanas, 2007, 2nd edition, Springer).

As well as hanging out at these Cloudy Nights forums: Sketching and Lunar Observing.

You might also get familiar with your public library and their interlibrary loan program. The genre of Selenography might prove enjoyable.

gramps.gif

• desertstars, CounterWeight and brentknight like this

#3 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

Crusty...

Thanks for the reply.  I've got a poor copy of The Modern Moon and there are a few references there I'm going to try to track down too.  Apparently there aren't many who find this stuff fascinating.

Just wondering if your icon implies you are old, or wise??

• Crusty99 likes this

#4 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

Here are a couple of mine:

A Survey of the Moon Patrick Moore ©1963

The Face of the Moon Ralph B. Baldwin ©1949

Geology of the Moon Thomas A Mutch ©1972

Portfolio is one of my favorites.

• desertstars, brentknight and Crusty99 like this

#5 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:45 PM

Richard,

I picked up A New Guide to the Moon by Patrick Moore.  Added Survey to my Amazon Wish List. Borrowed The Moon from The Internet Archive.

The Face of the Moon looks really nice, but a little pricey and I can't find a digital edition yet...

The Internet Archive had Geology of the Moon, so I've borrowed that one too.

I found these free for the download - also from The Internet Archive:

The Moon by Thomas Gwyn Elger

The Moon - Her Motions, Aspect, Scenery and Physical Condition by Richard A. Proctor

The Moon - Considered as a Planet, a World and a Satellite by James Nasmyth

The Moon in Modern Astronomy by Philip Fauth

Should get me started!  Thanks very much...

• Carl Kolchak likes this

#6 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:15 PM

The three books that are considered "the classics", even by professionals are:  

1) Elger - The Moon: A full Description and Map of its Principal Physical Features. 1895

2) Goodacre - The Moon: With A Description Of Its Surface Formations. 1931 (Good luck finding it...)

3) Wilkins & Moore - The Moon. 1955 (My favourite)

These books attempt to describe every important crater, mare, mountain, detail etc.

You can probably find the Elger online for free. The other two are more dificult to find. The Goodacre book is just impossible to find (he self-published it in very small quantities). The Wilkins & Moore book is worth the hunt. It pops on Ebay under $100 regularly. 

Edited by RadioAstronomer, 17 May 2019 - 05:16 PM.

#7 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

I did find Elger online.  I found a listing for Wilkins on Amazon (book was not available).  The one review was not very flattering.  He mentioned that Wilkins tried to copy Goodacre, but not well.  The reviewer also mentioned Hutchinson's "Splendour of the Heavens" as reprinting the Goodacre maps.  I saw AbeBooks has a couple copies of this book...

It's like every time I look into old books, I find about a dozen more "collectors items" I want, but likely will never find or afford.  It's still really interesting though.

#8 Alvan Clark

Alvan Clark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Webb's Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes has a substantial moon guide. In volume 1.

A Day in the Moon - Abbe Thoreux. Not quite sure this is along the lines of what you're looking for though.

• brentknight likes this

#9 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:10 PM

Thanks Alvan.  I have a digital copy of both volumes, but just grabbed the paperback's from Amazon.

#10 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted Today, 05:00 PM

Here are a couple of mine:

A Survey of the Moon Patrick Moore ©1963

The Face of the Moon Ralph B. Baldwin ©1949

Geology of the Moon Thomas A Mutch ©1972

Portfolio is one of my favorites.

Also The Measure of the Moon by Ralph Baldwin. Both of his books are somewhat hard to come by, these days. Worth finding and reading, if you can get them.

A good lunar observing guide from the late '60s is Exploring the Moon Through Binoculars and Small Telescopes by Ernest H. Cherrington Jr. I used this one to give myself a refresher course when I resurrected my old 60mm refractor after a long hiatus. It was still useful when I bought my 8" reflector. 

• Carl Kolchak likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics